Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#15490 - 12/04/08 05:32 PM Re: Racism [Re: Picunnus]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
I moved from St. Louis a year ago. I'd lived there 6 years. I lived in the nicest part, but stray anywhere outside of this tiny region...what a shithole. I wish I knew what could be done about it.
#15494 - 12/04/08 07:13 PM Re: Racism [Re: coelentrate]
Jake999 Offline

Nuclear urban renewal comes to mind. If it wouldn't leave all of the rats and roaches homeless, it would have been done by now.

#15504 - 12/04/08 09:06 PM Re: Racism [Re: coelentrate]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I have also existed on both sides of the coin. I used to live for years on a small island in the southern part of the Georgia Strait. There was precisely 0 ethnic people, aside from Leonard the local town drunk (an indian). At that point I really didn't think one way or the other about how race relates to things.

When I was 19 I moved to the city.Now I don't know how many of you have been to Vancouver, but it is one of the most ethnically diverse places you will ever see. Where I live, in Surrey, I am probably one of the only white people for miles, and I live in a pretty dense residential area. Over time, my attitudes certainly changed.

I noticed that members of certain cultures (invariably of the same race) all had distinct ways they behaved and believed.

People of different cultural backgrounds than you are just that, different. It is only natural that I should develop opinions about these differences, and many of them I find distasteful. Especially the east indian sikh culture, the black rap subculture, and the 'azn' superiorist attitude that exists here.

What I find ridiculously naive is when people pretend there are no differences, and that all people are the same. That race/culture doesn't matter. That is just PC garbage, not worth the amount of time it takes to read or hear.

#15518 - 12/05/08 07:37 AM Re: Racism [Re: Dan_Dread]
Picunnus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I agree with you wholeheartedly, Dan. There are differences between races and cultures - of course there are! Anyone who disagrees is a FUCKING MORON. There's nothing you can do about it - it happens when any group is separated from another for a period of time. It's somewhat like when you leave your home town for several years. When you go back, there are things that developed with your friends that you missed - jokes you don't get and new traditions you missed. The longer the separation, the more different you become. It's not CAUSED by being a different skin color - it's a social thing. But it exists.

No black, indian, native american, asian, mexican, or even fucking canadian I've ever been friendly with got pissed with me for asking about their culture. I don't pretend they're not different - I ask them what it's like to be different. They know they're not the same as you, just as I know I'll NEVER have curly jewish hair. If you pretend you don't see it, it's like pretending you don't see THEM.

#15636 - 12/06/08 06:58 PM Re: Racism [Re: Picunnus]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
 Originally Posted By: Picunnus
They know they're not the same as you, just as I know I'll NEVER have curly jewish hair.

Do Jews have curly hair?

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#15639 - 12/06/08 08:58 PM Re: Racism [Re: Woland]
Picunnus Offline

Sigh.
I knew I'd get a ping on that one.
Are you seriously asking? Of course they don't all have curly hair. But I ain't never gonna have me no Gene Wilder white afro!!
:P

#15657 - 12/07/08 12:31 AM Re: Racism [Re: Picunnus]
Phaethon Offline
pledge

I usually have a Jew-fro, but that's besides the point.

I think culture-ist is better than being racist. If I a bunch of thug wiggers being loud and bothering people standing next to a black person being very civil, I'd trust the black guy more. But if everyone is dressed and acting the same, I'd most likely trust the whites more.
Its racism
its there
its natural
Animals have been known to be "racist" to each other, like horses shunning another horse with a coat color they aren't used to. And I am no more than an elevated self conscious animal.

#15676 - 12/07/08 07:30 AM Re: Racism [Re: Phaethon]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

"Animals have been known to be "racist" to each other, like horses shunning another horse with a coat color they aren't used to. And I am no more than an elevated self conscious animal."

Dogs have been known to eat feces as well as vomit. If I were to do that would you consider it to be "natural"? After all, you are "no more than an elevated self conscious animal."

#15693 - 12/07/08 12:27 PM Re: Racism [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Dogs tend to eat feces for a variety of reasons.

One, their diet is lacking, and when nutrients are scarce they can eat their or another animal's poop. That's why they like cat shit so much, it's rich in protein.

Two, bitches will clean up the messes left by newborn puppies to help mask their scent and keep predators at bay.

Humans have no need to do either of these things, eating feces is strictly a species trait, and then it only happens under certain conditions.

Eating shit and shunning someone because of their coat/skin color are two completely different things, and bear no relation to each other.

Why are you setting yourself as above every other human being on this subject? Your claim that you've never judged someone by the way they dress, act, or look makes you the only person out of 6.7 billion to be that way.

If you don't like the word "racist", substitute it with "discrimination", since the two are closely linked. Animals and humans practice discrimination, but only humans can be racist.

#15703 - 12/07/08 02:49 PM Re: Racism [Re: Nemesis]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

“eating feces is strictly a species trait, and then it only happens under certain conditions.”

People do some pretty fucked up things for money. So no, it is not strictly a species trait. People do it as well. Also it doesn’t only happen under certain conditions. My dog does it quite a bit and he doesn’t have a poor diet. Nor does the dog have any puppies to clean up after in order to keep predators at bay.

“Eating shit and shunning someone because of their coat/skin color are two completely different things, and bear no relation to each other.”

While that may be true, it was still very relevant to bring it up. The person I was actually responding to with that post was trying to say that racism is natural because other animals seem to do it. Therefore I brought up something else that other animals do and that if a person did it, wouldn’t be considered natural.

“Why are you setting yourself as above every other human being on this subject?”

I am not setting myself as above every other human on this subject. I am simply speaking for myself and my own beliefs. The opinion that some people have had on this subject are not my own. Some people have spoken in a very broad manner that tries to encompass everyone into fitting that ideal. I don’t feel it was an accurate representation of the way I feel. As such I am speaking for myself. If you feel like I am trying to make myself sound better than everyone else, that is your problem. Get over it. You can have all the opinions you want, I don’t have to share them. Just because I hold a different opinion it doesn’t mean I am setting myself as above every other human on this subject.

“Your claim that you've never judged someone by the way they dress, act, or look”

Where exactly do I make this claim?

#15705 - 12/07/08 03:24 PM Re: Racism [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Nemesis Offline

Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
People do some pretty fucked up things for money.

What does making money off of eating shit have to do with a person's natural discriminatory tendency?

“Eating shit and shunning someone because of their coat/skin color are two completely different things, and bear no relation to each other.”

Quote:
While that may be true, it was still very relevant to bring it up. The person I was actually responding to with that post was trying to say that racism is natural because other animals seem to do it. Therefore I brought up something else that other animals do and that if a person did it, wouldn’t be considered natural.

Soooo, you balk at being put in a generalized category that being a Satanist = Racist/Discriminator, yet you go ahead and group all animals together making the claim that all of them eat feces? Very few animals eat feces as a matter of course in the wild--rodents, beetles, baby elephants, pandas, koalas and hippos eat their dam's poo for the helpful bacteria...What if he were to compare us to dolphins? Or bears? They practice species discrimination as well. If you're going to make a comparison to disprove something, you need to find a better example that is a trait possessed by all "test" subjects involved. Eating poop doesn't fall into that category.

“Your claim that you've never judged someone by the way they dress, act, or look”

Quote:
Where exactly do I make this claim?

In your own words on page 4:

Quote:
I judge people by their actions and the measure of their character, not by the color of their skin.

In regards to your dog eating poop (which you seem to be okay with), the examples I cited were only two of the most common: http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_PoopEating.php

#15707 - 12/07/08 03:36 PM Re: Racism [Re: Nemesis]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

“What does making money off of eating shit have to do with a person's natural discriminatory tendency? “

I said that because you tried to say that is a special trait. Like people don’t do it. I was simply contradicting you on that point.

“yet you go ahead and group all animals together making the claim that all of them eat feces”

What? I never said all animals eat feces. You really need to read more thoroughly before responding.

“What if he were to compare us to dolphins? Or bears? They practice species discrimination as well.”

If he had done that and said it is normal or natural for people to do it just because other animals do it, I would make the same point.

“I judge people by their actions and the measure of their character, not by the color of their skin.”

Notice how I didn’t say that I have never done that. Once again, read more carefully before responding.

#15720 - 12/07/08 05:57 PM Re: Racism [Re: Picunnus]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
 Originally Posted By: Picunnus
Sigh.
I knew I'd get a ping on that one.
Are you seriously asking? Of course they don't all have curly hair.

And why doesn't all Jews have curly hair?

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#15745 - 12/08/08 05:13 AM Re: Racism [Re: Woland]
Picunnus Offline

Because they don't all come from the same gene pool. There are Ashkenazim, Sephardim, and Mizrahim. The Ashkenazim are descended from the medieval Jewish communities in the Rhineland. The Sephardim originated in the Iberian Peninsula. Mizrahim are from the Middle East, North Africa, Central Asia and the Caucasus.

Sheesh.

#15749 - 12/08/08 06:58 AM Re: Racism [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Nemesis Offline

This thread is pointless. You go right ahead and have your opinion on who you think you are, and I'll have my opinion on who I think I am and the majority of other people are.

I have better things to do.

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.