Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#19296 - 01/29/09 02:05 PM Re: Obama [Re: fakepropht]
candyjesus Offline
stranger

Loc: NY
 Originally Posted By: fakepropht
I would like to see a floating gas tax in the US that keeps the price right around $4 to $5 a gallon. At a time like this, the tax goes toward the coffers to hopefully pay for all the bailouts, programs, war costs, etc.

This is what I don't understand- Why the hell does everyone get bailed out? Businesses need to be able to fail so that new ones can emerge.

#19297 - 01/29/09 02:13 PM Re: Obama wins. [Re: Sordid Archetype]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
I never said bailouts were the solution. I plainly stated that they are part of the problem.

And no, Canada is not my contingency plan. I live in a part of the country where there are still vast tracts of unused land. I don't need Canada any more than I need this apartment, if it comes down to it.

And another WW wouldn't solve our problems this time around, either. The reason why it helped last time was because there was something already unused to tap (female workers). This country has no more untapped human resources. The only solution that I could see would be for the cost of living to drop long enough for people to get their feet back under them. That means that "the haves" would have to take a paycut....I don't see that happening.

#19298 - 01/29/09 02:18 PM Re: Obama wins. [Re: ceruleansteel]
candyjesus Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: ceruleansteel
This country has no more untapped human resources.

Sure we do- kids aren't doing anything of substance these days aside from checking their portfolios and bouncing from playdate to playdate. Put their sorry little asses to work.

#19299 - 01/29/09 02:18 PM Re: Obama [Re: candyjesus]
ceruleansteel Offline

Quote:
This is what I don't understand- Why the hell does everyone get bailed out? Businesses need to be able to fail so that new ones can emerge.

I agree. But we live in a welfare nation, and most people are so concerned with the individual welfare they neither see nor realize that corporate welfare is a much bigger and much more costly problem.

Once again, we are a plutocratic society. Rule by the few and the wealthy. Think about lobbyists and government kickbacks and the like. Until YOU can put a few million dollars in the pocket of your congressman, he's going to continue caring more about businesses than he does you. Period.

#19300 - 01/29/09 02:21 PM Re: Obama wins. [Re: candyjesus]
ceruleansteel Offline

Quote:
Sure we do- kids aren't doing anything of substance these days aside from checking their portfolios and bouncing from playdate to playdate. Put their sorry little asses to work.

Well unless they decide to fulfill my five year old's dream of becoming an opera singer-slash-firefighter, I doubt putting my kids to work will help much. My three year old can work a mean jigsaw puzzle, though. He's up to 100+ jobs in about fifteen minutes. He doesn't talk, though, or even make eye contact. I guess a customer service job is out of the question.

#19301 - 01/29/09 02:22 PM Re: Obama [Re: ceruleansteel]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:

By doing so education and human intelligence will take another downfall on long term.
Not such a wise decision I'm afraid..

#19302 - 01/29/09 02:39 PM Re: Obama [Re: ceruleansteel]
candyjesus Offline
stranger

I think it's human nature... No one wants to work if everything is just being handed to them. Yet everyone's trying to turn a profit where they can.

Below is an article I read a while back on the AIG/Bear Sterns/Lehman Bros bailouts and what it actually cost americans.

http://fskrealityguide.blogspot.com/2008/09/how-much-did-aig-bailout-cost-you.html

Quote:
The financial industry is a con game. Rumors of insolvency are sufficient to cause insolvency! In a true free market, that is never an issue. "Confidence in the system matters" is a symptom of widespread corruption.

My only hope is that Barack can set the nation on a path to clean this mess up.

#19304 - 01/29/09 02:41 PM Re: Obama [Re: Dimitri]
candyjesus Offline
stranger

Education take a downfall? When was the last time you stepped inside an american public school? \:\) Education in this country is a joke.
#19306 - 01/29/09 02:50 PM Re: Obama [Re: candyjesus]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: candyjesus
Education take a downfall? When was the last time you stepped inside an american public school? \:\) Education in this country is a joke.

Education is not only limited towards secondary schools.
Universities and other advanced educational institutes fall under this term. And I never stepped into an American school, I'm from another country. But from what I know, people still learn something over there. So let's not waste possible intelligent people by crushing and melting them within the harsh (and in my opinion idiotic) economic world.

Compare the US education with those from africa and dare to tell it is worse...
Btw, education isn't worthless, the people teaching are worthless most of the time. And if not, it's their boss who is idiotic.

#19310 - 01/29/09 02:56 PM Re: Obama [Re: Dimitri]
candyjesus Offline
stranger

I won't debate that education is what you make of it. But my reply was pertaining to whether or not the country had untapped resources- If children can sew clothes, they can certainly build planes. Building a plane can be both educational and fun.

But it will never come to that anyway. Not with all of the PTA mommies in charge. Guess it's back to the drawing board.

#19311 - 01/29/09 02:58 PM Re: Obama [Re: candyjesus]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
If children can sew clothes, they can certainly build planes. Building a plane can be both educational and fun.

And from this sentence only I instantly can conclude you are a working person who is getting her paycheck from sitting behind a desk making calculations on a computer....

#19313 - 01/29/09 03:03 PM Re: Obama [Re: Dimitri]
ceruleansteel Offline

Quote:
Btw, education isn't worthless, the people teaching are worthless most of the time.

The biggest problem I have with the public education system is not exactly the teachers but that (here in america) the parents seem to think that because teachers exist, they don't have to do any educating themselves.

Kids around here are being taught "phoenetic spelling". In other words, they are no longer judged on their ability to spell so long as the reader can puzzle out what they are saying. My little sister is 13 and her spelling is atrocious. Our mom coddles her and tells me "well, that's what the school is teaching her". I am left to pull her aside and ask her if she thinks she's ever going to be a corporate CEO if she can't even spell "corporate".

Parents fail their children in other ways, too. A big part of learning to spell and learning the rules of grammar and the English language in general comes from reading. Real books. For the first time in my life I am contemplating purchasing a television and the only reason is because I got the kids a V-smile. If the game turns out to be a disappointment, I'll scrap it and the television both.

I think we may need to think about starting a new thread or two. This one is going all over the place.

#19315 - 01/29/09 03:05 PM Re: Obama [Re: Dimitri]
candyjesus Offline
stranger

Nah, I'm just an artist. I'm never quite sure how I get checks. \:\) Today is a slow day if you couldn't tell.

#19317 - 01/29/09 03:06 PM Re: Obama [Re: ceruleansteel]
candyjesus Offline
stranger

Agreed on so many levels.

#19328 - 01/29/09 03:35 PM Re: Obama wins. [Re: ceruleansteel]
Sordid Archetype Offline
stranger

Loc: Long Island, NY
 Originally Posted By: ceruleansteel
And another WW wouldn't solve our problems this time around, either. The reason why it helped last time was because there was something already unused to tap (female workers). This country has no more untapped human resources.

Women aided the cause, but that was hardly "the reason" WWII was effective at overcoming the depression.

Consider for a moment the practical needs of the war itself. We had no real standing army, no supplies, limited resources and of course a crap economy.

After Pearl Harbor, large numbers of young men were drafted into the military. Now a standing army was formed, but supplies and resources for the war were in need. Being that there were far less men to do the work men normally did, now woman and men both were recruited into positions within industry to build the necessities of fighting the war.

Now we're in a war, but our technology was definitely far behind the enemy's. Japanese planes were far superior to ours, a Sherman tank couldn't even hold it's own to a German tank, etc... Now the government needed to start funding in technological advancement to even keep our own with the enemy.

In addition, warfare tactics had changed since even WWI (which was primarily trench-based), and funding in developing and training new tactics was also necessary.

So what do we have here? Suddenly between military service and industry, we have drastically reduced unemployment rates. In addition, the federal government was not lending money but investing it in various industries, and with technological advancements came new avenues for capitalist exploitation and consumerism which spins the wheels of the economy (i.e. improvements in communication technologies, tape recordings, jet engines, radar and sonar, the development of encryption techniques which could be used for security and integrity validation, etc...)

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.