Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#14055 - 11/08/08 08:29 AM Because I love my dog and think she's awesome
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I just can't help it, my boyfriend and I love Zoe so much and think she's just the coolest. Here's a video I took at work the other week of him playing tug of war with her. She only wants to play tug with us, not with anyone else. We're teaching her to release on command, in case you were wondering why he's holding his closed fist in front of her face. We're of the opinion that a verbal command should always be accompanied by a hand signal, so eventually you can wean them off of verbal.

I couldn't help but giggle a bit when she hunches her back like a kangaroo and growls. At 9 months old and already 60 lbs, she doesn't let go of that rope for nothing. She's actually considered slender by GSD standards, which is an inherently American line trait.

#14063 - 11/08/08 04:01 PM Re: Because I love my dog and think she's awesome [Re: Nemesis]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I used to be able to swing my dog around like that. Now she is getting old and hardly ever likes to play tug-of-war anymore. Although I can still use a laser pointer to make her run allround the kitchen. It is especially funny when she gets going to fast and slide across the linoleum into a wall when she tries to slow down.

#14066 - 11/08/08 05:10 PM Re: Because I love my dog and think she's awesome [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Nemesis Offline

The laser pointer is the greatest invention known to cat and dog owners! We like to get Zoe chasing it in the backyard when it's almost dark out, so she's got room to run around and go nuts. I got her to bite our mutt Cappy on the ass one night after pointing it on him. Mwhahahaha!

#14071 - 11/08/08 06:30 PM Re: Because I love my dog and think she's awesome [Re: Nemesis]
Jake999 Offline

This was a fun video! I always like playing with a dog that's that crazy about what he's doing.

As for laser pointers... my male cat WYSIWYG is obsessed with it. Believe it or not, he can hear it when I pick it up out of the drawer and immediately goes into hunt mode.

My female cat - YoYo - is a Siamese and earned her name. The cat is a total YoYo. She hears the laser pointer being picked up and looks at me with the teenage girl look that says..."Toes. I have toes."

#14073 - 11/08/08 09:35 PM Re: Because I love my dog and think she's awesome [Re: Nemesis]
Disabuse Offline

Zoe seems to be doing good with the hand signals. I did the same thing while training my puppy, and when she was older, I never had to open my mouth. Pointing down was sit, flat level hand was lay down, snapping my finger was come here, pointing forward and circling my hand was roll over, etc etc.

It won't be long before Zoe doesn't need any verbal commands.

#14074 - 11/08/08 09:43 PM Re: Because I love my dog and think she's awesome [Re: Disabuse]
Nemesis Offline

Thanks Jake! Glad you liked it I used to love running my cats around the house when it was pitch black, I'd get them going and try to run them into the walls. That worked until they got wise to me, and served well as entertainment until I could afford cable ;\)

D, what kind of dog do you have? Zoe is very sensitive to mood changes when we're working with her, like frustration or anger (usually from having a bad day). If we start letting our emotions get the best of us, she just goes to pieces and is a pain in the ass. My bf has a harder time working with her, because he expects her to obey instantly, instead of making training a fun, happy game. So when he tells her to lie down, and she gets up and walks away, he gets pissed off at her and everything goes downhill from there. Yet she'll do it for me, because she loves her mama

Edited by Nemesis (11/08/08 09:43 PM)

#14075 - 11/08/08 10:02 PM Re: Because I love my dog and think she's awesome [Re: Nemesis]
Disabuse Offline

I had a half springer spaniel and half dolmation dog for the greater part of my life. I had to put her down 3 years ago before moving out to Phoenix. She wouldn't have made it, being part dolmation, she was very sensitive. She was old and moving cross country would have done her in...

Now I have a giant cat. He's about the size of a baby tiger. And no, he's not fat, he's built. He has the personality of a dog and likes to play rough. He's very smart too. I can't get him to actively chase after a laser pointer too often, but he will pounce for it if its in front of him.

#14076 - 11/08/08 10:15 PM Re: Because I love my dog and think she's awesome [Re: Disabuse]
Nemesis Offline

Man, that's a shame you had to put her down...but at least she went stresslessly and was with her daddy.

Your cat reminds me of my first one, Bast, that I got from a neighbor's litter. He was already big boned, and became fat later on, but he was like a dog too. He'd roll over on his back and want you to pet his fat belly. He'd also want to sit right on your chest, all 18 lbs of him, and just stare at you. Even as a kitten he'd do that, which is why I wouldn't let him sleep in the bed for the longest time. I had to put him to sleep when he was 5 years old, because he'd developed a chronic crystal formation problem in his urinary tract, which caused him immense pain and almost killed him due to renal failure the first time he got it.

The pair of kittahs I have now stay outside, and chase lizards instead of lazers. I think the lizards has a flavr.

#14332 - 11/13/08 01:49 AM Re: Because I love my dog and think she's awesome [Re: Nemesis]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
I just love animals! Even though the buggers ALWAYS hurt me accidently. For instance, I've just moved back into home with my MOther (health reasons I know it's extremely sad, but hey I've got my OWN Caravan!!!)

Anyway, when I got home from the hospital a couple of days ago, I have had an operation where they drain the lungs of fluid (problem), spray talc in teh gap and irritate the hell out of it to stick it together so that the fluid (problem) has no where to go, so you can imagine, I was just a little sore still and my brother opens the gate, mum opens the car door and her two dogs, one inside but decent size and one collie size both jump in the car all crazy happy to see me and immediately both jump onto the area of my back where the operation was done through........I screamed and started punching them of course, which of course upset Mum who started yelling all the while my brother was trying to hand the phone with my grandmother on it to my Mum. What a fucking comedy of errors. Then, not two hours later, my cat used it as a jumping platform to help reach her chair properly....gota love em, still, I'll get them back when they are least expecting it. LOLOLOLOL

Playing with kids and animals are two of the most simple yet rewarding pleasures of life. And both together is about the be all and end all of entertainment.

Oh yeah, Zoey's gorgeous.

Zeph

#14335 - 11/13/08 02:42 AM Re: Because I love my dog and think she's awesome [Re: Nemesis]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I had a German when I was young but he'd be walking me most of the time. I've always had dogs in my life but at one point started to like cats more. Dogs are kinda needy and I can't bring that up any longer, neither do I have the time for it.

The worst animals I ever got are goats. They are seriously annoying at times, not to mention them being superb crap factories. I guess that happens when the only thing you do is eat eat and eat.
Summertime when I sit outside here, they make such a noise that it is horrible. Someone at some point obviously taught them that humans are the candyman and whenever you see them, you should act like a poor Ethiopian. Ah well, I'm gonna let them run around here until Satan himself decides to take his hellish creatures back. 1 down, 4 to go.

At least my chickens are functional, besides my rooster. I'm paying to feed him while he fucks around all day.
I guess that's how most parents feel.

D.

#16757 - 12/22/08 11:20 PM Re: Because I love my dog and think she's awesome [Re: Nemesis]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
Zoe is gorgeous... my Staffy Stella is obsessed with having a good solid tug- I can hang her in the air, and she just dangles there still pulling and twitching her legs, loving every minute of it! My Pitbull Angus likes being chased by smaller dogs, and stealing my socks after I take them off- he also loves sitting on my lap and gazing into my eyes, and still tries to crawl inside my jacket when it's cold- he's 41 kilos, but he's forgotten about that! Dogs are the best, who else acts like they've won the lottery when you come home from work? Definitely not my housemate or significant other that's for sure!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.008 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.