Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#14273 - 11/12/08 12:31 PM No Exit (Huis Clos) by Jean-Paul Sartre - a play
Meq Offline
Banned

http://www.csun.edu/~vcoao087/342/NoExit.htm

I thought I would post this in the Philosophy forum rather than Literature, as it may help generate some more interesting (and thoughtful) responses.

Using the fictional setting of an afterlife, Sartre has his three protagonists recount their debauched lives from his (rather bourgeois) version of Hell.

This features some pretty dark humor - it makes light of our thoughts about how we would like to be remembered after our deaths. We will all be forgotten in the end.

The play has a somewhat nihilistic thread to it.
Sartre's conclusion is that we cannot escape being affected by the 'gaze' or opinions of others, so remain forever tortured by them - condemned to the anguish of 'being for others'.
"Hell is other people!".

Perhaps all the drugs he did threw off his mood. Everything seemed to boil down to anguish for him...

P.S.
This is probably the best place to start if you haven't read any Sartre - it's an easier read than Nausea, and certainly than his purely philosophical works.
If you want to read Sartre's philosophy for yourself, start with 'Existentialism is a Humanism', which is relatively easy to read.

#16786 - 12/23/08 08:20 PM Re: No Exit (Huis Clos) by Jean-Paul Sartre - a play [Re: Meq]
paolo sette Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Whoa, I read Sartre back in college. It was a play that I remember clearly about being confined to a limited space with people you hate around you. His literal depiction of Hell is off, sorry. It's amuseing to read it, and I read it over a few times. Oh yea, I heard he's a 'death bed' coversion. Apparently he was a proud Satanist all through life, and while on his death bed he received absolution by a catholic priest. Wimp. I'll tell you one thing...I am Evil. All of the stereotypes and general attitudes of Hell are saddening.

I know where my soul is going.

p.s. Check out Albert Camus, for he is another Existentialist: life is meaningful when it is fully experienced.

#16791 - 12/23/08 08:56 PM Re: No Exit (Huis Clos) by Jean-Paul Sartre - a play [Re: paolo sette]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
"The myth of sisyphus and other essays" is a good read. Certainly worth the 12 bucks to buy the book.

Never really been much of a fan of Sartre, although anyone who would refuse a nobel prize on philosophical grounds can at least be said to take his philosophy seriously.

Ps - what is a soul, how does it go places and where exactly do you believe yours to be going?

#16794 - 12/23/08 09:25 PM Re: No Exit (Huis Clos) by Jean-Paul Sartre - a play [Re: Dan_Dread]
Mike Offline

Loc: Farmingdale, NY
 Quote:
Ps - what is a soul, how does it go places and where exactly do you believe yours to be going?

An attempted explanation for consciousness, or at least a name for whatever is controlling your physical body. Personally, I don't think there is such a thing.

And if it doesn't exist, it goes nowhere. If it exists, you take it with you everywhere until you die...And then you can believe whatever it is you believe happens to your "soul" when you cease to exist. If it doesn't exist, your body will slowly rot away and you will simply expire.

I didn't read the book being discussed, and I hope these questions weren't rhetorical. I just felt like answering them.

#16795 - 12/23/08 09:30 PM Re: No Exit (Huis Clos) by Jean-Paul Sartre - a play [Re: Mike]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

I know what soul is 'supposed' to mean. It was mostly rhetorical as the definition of soul is nonsensical, but I am honestly interested in hearing paolo sette's answer to this.

watching people try to build a frame for a cloud is always amusing.

#16863 - 12/24/08 11:26 PM Re: No Exit (Huis Clos) by Jean-Paul Sartre - a play [Re: Dan_Dread]
paolo sette Offline

Loc: IL, USA
D D, something inside of me told me to say, "A soul is an abtrusity, a parallax, or it's obscure to everyone; each of us has their own definition." But, you belong to the 600 club, and something told me otherwise. Truthfully: I opened my eyes today as everyday, I saw things that I've seen my whole life. I understand the world, and how it functions with our interrelationship to it. I've pretty much combed the literature, and found no knowledge that their ever was a supernatural being on Earth. Except for fiction, myths, and legends. Well, this is life. And, that is what we'll see in the afterlife. But, what about all the people that have already died? Either the maker has a big place for us, or the maker breaks it up, and puts people accordingly in places. My soul is Evil in nature, and my maker is Satan; thus, I will go to Hell. For example, Hell is a place where like minded individuals go that profess their Lord to be Satan amongst other things. Hell has many facets to it: it can be for or against a soul. My soul will go to Satan, and He will judge accordingly.

Everyone has their belief about an afterlife, or lack of one. Forget the writers, speakers, theorticians, speculators, dogmas, etc. because they only confound and confuse. I understand them as only expressing an opinion.

Forget the delusions, believe in yourself.

#16903 - 12/25/08 12:57 PM Re: No Exit (Huis Clos) by Jean-Paul Sartre - a play [Re: paolo sette]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Quote:

I understand the world, and how it functions with our interrelationship to it. I've pretty much combed the literature, and found no knowledge that their ever was a supernatural being on Earth. Except for fiction, myths, and legends.

Quote:

Either the maker has a big place for us, or the maker breaks it up, and puts people accordingly in places. My soul is Evil in nature, and my maker is Satan; thus, I will go to Hell. For example, Hell is a place where like minded individuals go that profess their Lord to be Satan amongst other things. Hell has many facets to it: it can be for or against a soul. My soul will go to Satan, and He will judge accordingly.

Do you perhaps suffer from multiple personality disorder?

#17007 - 12/27/08 12:59 AM Re: No Exit (Huis Clos) by Jean-Paul Sartre - a play [Re: Dan_Dread]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
 Quote:
Do you perhaps suffer from multiple personality disorder?

I know I do... and so do I.

Edited by daevid777 (12/27/08 01:00 AM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.