Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#15138 - 11/29/08 10:40 PM Re: It's a doozy! [Re: Pheonix_Renewed]
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
If I may, Pheonix. People help others because it makes THEM feel good. If they didn't help it would bother their conscience and THEY don't like to feel like that. So they take the actions necessary to keep their level of comfort within themselves.

#15169 - 11/30/08 02:12 PM Re: It's a doozy! [Re: blsk]
Pheonix_Renewed Offline
stranger

Exactly my point. Even helping others is self-centric. It's beneficially self-centric to those being helped, but still.

The real question isn't whether or not humans are innately self-centric, IMO. It is pretty clear and obvious that we are. The real question is, is that necessarily bad?

I think it's only bad when it harms another who did not first harm you. I do have issue with that. A course of action that harms those who are not harming you, is a wrong course of action, and is one that I would answer in kind.

#15204 - 11/30/08 09:04 PM Re: It's a doozy! [Re: Pheonix_Renewed]
blsk Offline

Without it a man would not survive. So no, with propper application it is an asset. Just the same as applying the "seven deadly sins." If you are appropriately doing it for YOU than it will be to your benefit. If you harm others who didn't first harm you(to use your example), you are doing a disservice to yourself. You want to make alliances where you can as this can pay off later in a form you may not have expected. Why would you desire to inflict harm on another who did not do you wrong? Seems a waste of energy. Focusing harm on those deserving would be more beneficial to yourself than to do so to "innocent" people. Ultimately EVERYONE does for their own self interest. Whether it be convincing ones self to love an enemy to gain the approval of a "god" thereby gaining favor(kissasses). Or raping and pillaging a village for "booty." It is unavoidable. Some just lack the wisdom to apply it propperly.

Edited by blsk (11/30/08 09:07 PM)

#15211 - 11/30/08 10:24 PM Re: It's a doozy! [Re: Pheonix_Renewed]
blsk Offline

Apologies for the double post but to touch on your statement of "god," as you believe we are all expressions of, you would be right to assume so. Even the christian god is only looking out for his best interest. The bible even clearly and openly states that "god" is a jealous "god." Shit, how much more self-centric can you get damning all to eternity simply because we wont let him have his way. Reminds me of a child in the store on his belly kicking and screaming, then being handed a magnifying glass. So it wouldn't just make sense to YOU, had I believed in such a thing.

Edited by blsk (11/30/08 10:29 PM)

#15239 - 12/01/08 10:13 AM Re: It's a doozy! [Re: blsk]
Pheonix_Renewed Offline
stranger

If you ever wondered what an abusive husband would do with "absolute power," just read the Bible, lol.

My ex-husband, an abusive man, would hold me down and nearly strangle me, slam me against walls, and many other physical assaults. He would proudly tell me that he had never abused me, though, because he had never once hit me. Reminds me of that "god," wherein god never abused humanity because he didn't directly kill us ALL off, with his own hand... And besides, didn't he kill his own kid off on our behalf? See how loving?! Heh.

Anyway, yeah, self centered beyond imagination, that story of "god." A total breaking of the commandment not to bear false witness. Well, in fairness, it doesn't say you can't bear false witness against god, lol.

But really, the point I'm getting to is, I don't think it's coincidence that most of the stories of 'gods' are little more than reflections of humanity... often its darker aspects (evil, whatever you want to call it. I prefer 'dark' because I think that both light and dark were created for a purpose, and that evil is a bit of a misnomer).

Uh, I guess I'm rambling at this point. Thanks everyone for awesome discussion, I'm greatly enjoying it!

#15240 - 12/01/08 10:25 AM Re: It's a doozy! [Re: Pheonix_Renewed]
Picunnus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
People are abusive only to people who allow them to be. This is how xians have such a nasty god... they like it that way. Kinda like S & M only not about sex... people's kinks are not just sexual, they taint every social structure we have- especially religion.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.