Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#14323 - 11/12/08 10:08 PM ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison...
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
MONTREAL–A former chef who goes by the nickname "Big Mike" has had his sentence for drug trafficking reduced because the provincial jail where he's incarcerated can't deal with all 430 pounds of him.

Michel Lapointe has already served 20 months behind bars awaiting sentencing in what his lawyer described in court as hellish conditions.

"For the first eight months he didn't have a bed adjusted to his size," defence lawyer Clemente Monterosso said yesterday.

"He never got a chair adjusted to his size. The chair and the tables were too tight and he could not sit down. In jail, the chairs are bolted to the ground and you cannot adjust them."

Monterosso said jail officials refused to provide a chair with a back to accommodate Lapointe because they feared it could be broken and used as a weapon.

The poor prison diet has added more than 50 pounds to the Lapointe's pre-arrest weight of 375 pounds (169 kilos).

"He's only 37 years old but now his health situation has deteriorated to the point that now he has to walk with a cane," Monterosso said. "He's been asking for a better diet but of course they refused that to him, telling him he's in jail, he's not in a hotel and there's only one menu."

Lapointe pleaded guilty in February 2008 to charges of conspiracy, drug trafficking and gangsterism.

He was sentenced to five years in jail Wednesday but under the formula used to calculate actual time behind bars, Lapointe will be out on parole in about 14 months. Quebec court Judge Marc Bisson also showed clemency in his case because of Lapointe's weight problems.

He also ordered the prison to get Lapointe a proper bed and chair.

Claire Lapointe, Big Mike's mother, says her son has always had weight problems but they were exacerbated by his time behind bars and his health suffered.

"I think it's a terrible situation," she said. "Happily, the judge's decision yesterday was good, thanks for that, and I hope it will bear fruit."

Lapointe pleaded guilty to a count of gangsterism, which normally requires prisoners to serve at least 50 per cent of their sentence.

His parole requires him to find a job and avoid bars and people with criminal records.
Two halfway houses have already refused to take in “Big Mike,” because their facilities could not accommodate his wide girth.

After being released, Lapointe told newspaper Le Journal de Montréal that he was looking forward to reuniting with his wife. He vowed to never return to jail again.

I like that last part, and wonder if something was missed in translation. Did he mean to say he was going to stay clean and not get in any more trouble? Or did he just want to say he was never going back to jail?

Keep the waste of space, money, and time in prison. Regardless of the crime commited, eating too much and being to obese shouldn`t have an effect on how long his sentence is...

Sources: The Star

#14338 - 11/13/08 03:43 AM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: PigFeeder]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

He complains about the prison diet? Seriously, he was 375 pounds before prison so I'd sure like to know what diet he was on during those days. He at least did not have to fear about what happens when he drops the soap. No volunteers there.

Although law is based upon morality at times or common sense, I do not think we should have a grey area in it that can be used or abused whenever people or judges want. You do a crime and get caught and convicted, you do time. Crime X is that much time, no debate possible. Let's not be moral about how your crime is not as bad as my identical crime and deserves a reward.

I'm tired of the 'he's a poor boy that got beaten by his father' or 'he's too fat or too stupid or too sick to be in there' arguments. They did a crime and got caught and all that bullshit doesn't matter.

If you're too fat, well sucks to be you. You got lotsa time to work out there and none is shoving the prison diet into your throat.

D.

#14394 - 11/13/08 10:01 PM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: Diavolo]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I agree fully. This guy committed a crime and got caught, therefore he should be required to serve the time. So what if he is too fat and the jail can't comfortably accomadate him. Jails aren't intended to make people comfortable. They are intended to punish people.

There is such a thing as a floor. You can sit on it and you can sleep on it. His sentence being reduced because of his weight is as pathetic as Paris Hilton getting a reduced sentence because she said she was "claustrophobic". Like D said; there is plenty of time to work out in jail.

#14597 - 11/17/08 06:31 PM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
Not only was his sentence reduced, but eventually he was freed because no prison could accomadate him.

P.S. The Breakfast Club, was and still is one of the most amazing movies ever fucking made. ;\) It still holds a special place in my heart, even if it has been some time since I`ve been able to watch it.

°Snow°

#84860 - 02/06/14 04:02 PM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: PigFeeder]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
I was curious to learn how this all panned out.

Quote:
Quebec's human rights commission fined the province's public security ministry $10,000 for not reasonably accommodating a morbidly obese detainee who weighed 430 pounds.

The commission ruled last month that the province's security ministry must pay Big Mike $10,000 - $7,000 for moral damages and $3,000 as a punitive measure. The commission also ruled that the ministry must renovate "several cells" to accommodate people with handicaps, including those who are morbidly obese.

Quebec's public security ministry has until Oct. 12, 2012 to comply with the commission's ruling or it can appeal the decision in court. A spokesperson from the ministry told QMI Agency Friday that it had not yet made a decision.

Source: Toronto SUN, THIS source contains a photo of him.

I haven't been able to find any 2013 updates on this. I wonder if he was ever paid.

It makes sense from a financial stand-point. If his prison sentence was going to be reduced to 14 months of served time, seems to me it would be cheaper to just cut him loose.

Now that the Human Rights Commission got involved, so much for that. A 10K fine for not making accommodations.

The public backlash is moot in relation to the Human Rights laws in Quebec. Leading up to his transfer to the prison, all the accommodations should have been pre-set, knowing his body type. This includes a proper bed, chair, clothing and diet if necessary.

Wah Wah
, Win for Big Mike.

#84863 - 02/06/14 07:01 PM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: SIN3]
antikarmatomic Offline
BANNED
stalker

Loc: El Mundo
Perhaps we should sue the Navy for cramped quarters, no?

"In a submarine, things fit where they fit. You're the one that moves."

(yeah, another Cracked reference).

'Can't do the time, don't do the crime... and if doing time is, like, especially inconvenient due to some handicap, femininity, obesity, or what not then that's probably something to look at.

dev/null is dev/null.

Now, if he somehow won his argument? I'm chalking that up to something that's straight up "3rd side" a unique oddity that, who knows, might serve me quite nicely - when and if.

#84867 - 02/06/14 07:51 PM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: antikarmatomic]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

A far-cry from seizing your person and mandating it to a facility. Sure, you can use the argument that he broke the 'LAW', blah blah, but at the end of the day - Big Mike wins.

#84869 - 02/06/14 08:25 PM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: SIN3]
antikarmatomic Offline
BANNED
stalker

that's what makes it so interesting. Fuck up bad enough, hard enough, and heavy enough, the world itself will concede. ;\) Still - I do not like it. I will not eat green eggs and ham.

#84886 - 02/07/14 10:13 AM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: antikarmatomic]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Not with a fox? Not in a box?

I think Charles Manson would have something to say about that. No reprieve, seems he conceded to just make it a home.

I think Mikey and his Mamma just worked the system to a greater advantage. Sure, he spent a little time in the clink but not as much as the courts demanded for being a big, bad, fuck up by societal standards.

#84912 - 02/08/14 02:34 PM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: SIN3]
antikarmatomic Offline
BANNED
stalker

Not in a house. Not with mouse. I would not eat them here or there. I would not eat them anywhere!

... unless, of course I was able to do similar to game the system for my own advantage.

Then I would like green eggs and ham.

#85100 - 02/17/14 02:23 PM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: SIN3]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
This really adds to a five year old conversation. I see two people shitting in a room now stamping around in it to see what it makes.

Why the upset a fat bastard beat the system? That's an internal question please don't feel the need to answer.

~T~

#85101 - 02/17/14 02:52 PM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: ta2zz]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: ta2zz
This really adds to a five year old conversation. I see two people shitting in a room now stamping around in it to see what it makes.

Why the upset a fat bastard beat the system? That's an internal question please don't feel the need to answer.

~T~

Yes, it's five years old but I was curious to see how it turned out. I updated it with new information in the case.

I didn't comment that I was upset about this, maybe you're upset? Seems to me you've added nothing of worth to this thread than your little complaint. Congrats.

#85105 - 02/17/14 05:55 PM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: SIN3]
antikarmatomic Offline
BANNED
stalker

but the gentleman said quite clearly
 Quote:
please don't feel the need to answer.
by George! was he not clear enough? :p Forums work just fine without a reply button, I swear \:\/

#85110 - 02/18/14 12:20 AM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: SIN3]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: SIN3
Yes, it's five years old but I was curious to see how it turned out. I updated it with new information in the case.

Big fucking whoopie doo. *twirls finger in the air* So you're the forum archive updater of useless knowledge. Where I'm from if I'm interested about something I can use the tools at hand to find out about things on my own quite nicely. Others can and should do the same.

Anyhow, my lack of interest with your choice of subject matter doesn't change the fact the rest of the banter that followed your original reply hardly adds anything of value. The two of you should get a room.

Originally Posted By: SIN3
I didn't comment that I was upset about this, maybe you're upset? Seems to me you've added nothing of worth to this thread than your little complaint. Congrats.

Clearly we interpret the stamping in shit differently eh?

~T~

#85133 - 02/18/14 10:37 AM Re: ``Big Mike`` Too big for prison... [Re: ta2zz]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Right, you're not interested and yet here you are. Seems to me if you were more apathetic about it, you wouldn't even care to comment.

Boo-fucking-hoo, I didn't provide a tool. As if I'm here to teach you shit. Give me a break. Go read something else then.

It's really that simple.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.