Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#14671 - 11/18/08 10:27 PM Something Different.
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I get tired of all the black metal/thrash metal/metal/meeetttaaallllllllmetalmetalmetal *headbangs* posts that invariably litter every Satanic forum on earth. OMGZ Metal is so Satanic! It is fairly obvious as to why this idea is so popular I suppose, but enough is really enough.

Ok lets take a step beyond the imagery for a second, and allow me to present MY criteria for 'Satanic' as it relates to music.

Quality, intelligence, and success! Badly thrashing away on an instrument in the name of 'lord satan' isn't Satanic in the least. Of course the most 'Satanic' music just happens to be the music I enjoy the most \:\)

Now with that said, let me present to you a band that has been consistently producing for over 30 years. A band that has released 30 plus albums in that time. A band that has remained true to their sound through it all.
3 musicians that sound like 6 on stage, each a master of their instrument at a level most musicians will never attain.

Instrumental genius combine with lyrical genius to create a sort of nexus of awesomeness..

"You can choose from phantom fears, and kindness that can kill. I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill"
-Geddy Lee as written by Neil Peart

Let me present to you, RUSH.

This is taken from the 2008 show at GM place(which I happened to be at), and contains a drum solo that should blow your mind.

#14681 - 11/19/08 01:06 AM Re: Something Different. [Re: Dan_Dread]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I agree. I think I own 3 black metal albums. To me, one person that embodies satanic music without being a satanist is David Allen Coe. He has written many hits for country singers. Including Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Johnny Paycheck. I'm sure most Americans are familiar with the song "Take This Job and Shove It". The man has written many hit songs sung by others, yet Nashville refuses to recognize his existance or contributions. Why? Cause he wears his convictions on his sleeve. He continues to make music and tour into his 70's.

#14699 - 11/19/08 04:39 PM Re: Something Different. [Re: fakepropht]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Thanks for that FP, I haven't listened to that song (or albumn) for quite some years.

I'm a big David Allen Coe fan having come across him when I was about 16. He is all but unknown in Australia, but there are a ffew bikies that dig his stuff and I am one of them.

I also have been listening to Hank III lately and really like it, but Coe is my favourite.

Who could forget the 'Three biggest lies in the world'.

Or Whiskey and Women. His lyrics are some of the cleverest stuff I've ever heard. Who could forget the line "Because my long hair just can't cover up my Redneck" or Just Divorced or any of the many many brilliant songs he wrote. I used to have all his albums, but lost them over the years. Again thanks for that FP.

Zeph

#14813 - 11/22/08 06:19 PM Re: Something Different. [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Jake999 Offline

You got good taste in music Dan! I play oldies on my show, Jake's Time Machine, and Rush is always a favorite. My show covers music from 1950 to about 20 minutes ago, but I don't play that much Black/Death or any of that genre... the vomitoria sound, simply because there is so much music that's I've liked over the past 50 years that it's hard to fit everything in.

I do enjoy some of it. Cradle of Filth's Nymphetamine is a favorite of mine, but I also like groups like Acheron, Gorelord, Slipknot, Venom, Slayer, etc.

VERY RARELY will I play country unless it had significant crossover appeal (there were several), and NEVER any Chistmas tunes, even though you can hear them on other shows on the station during that season. I really can't stand that music or twangy country.

Edited by Jake999 (11/22/08 06:20 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.014 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 17 queries. Zlib compression disabled.