Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#14840 - 11/24/08 02:27 AM Abandoning To The Kakistocratic
Jake999 Offline

Abandoning to the Kakistocratic.

Its often said that we get the government we deserve. Thats pretty much true, because we, at least in America, vote those into government that we feel should be able to take the reins of government and steer the country in a direction that (theoretically) we, as the majority have decided to go. On paper, it looks good, and when people are capable of high-minded and progressive idealism, good things can happen. The thought that we can be more than we are can propell an individual or a nation to new heights when excellence is a standard for which one is taught to aspire and a goal whose bar is regularly raised.

But alas, this today is not the case, and we've seen from nations to individuals within every segment of society that in catering to the lowest elements of our cultural and societal structures human components, we can simply go along to get along, abandoning any higher standards for the siren call of mediocrity. Mediocrity is a comfortable chair that tells us "good enough is good enough." It's betraying ourselves for the warm comforter wrapped around us, even though we know that it scratches and it's filthy and paints our body with its filth. It's easier to wear it than to wash it clean and regain some measure of control.

Instead of insisting that the deficient come up to standards that will benefit society, we coddle them and give them special status. They are just a bit slow, so we'll slow down to help them along. They are not quite as bright, so we'll dumb down our language so they dont have to learn anything new to keep up. They are chemically dependent, so we will excuse their bad and addicted behaviors and laugh with them, not at them, because we dont want to actually tell them their behavior is unacceptable. They are passively aggressive and anal in their dealings with host-client relationships, so we will kow tow to their churlishness and allow our businesses and services to deteriorate to take care of their individual needs at the detriment to those of the whole. They are politically and historically ignorant, lazy, and incompetent, but we'll let them take power so they dont disrupt those who could actually do something, were it not for the hinderance of their actions.

Quite simply, we abandon to the Kakistocratic. Now, you ask, without ever thinking to pick up the closest dictionary, what is kakistocracy?

SYLLABICATION:
kakistocracy
PRONUNCIATION:
kk-stkr-s, kk-
NOUN:
Inflected forms: pl. kakistocracies
Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens.
ETYMOLOGY:
Greek kakistos, worst, superlative of kakos, bad; see caco + cracy.

While the societal and the intellectual bent of an organization or culture may be of the highest nature, its simpler to give in to those whose mental laziness or moral ineptitude or churlish behaviors make them difficult to work with, rather than insisting that they elevate themselves to an acceptable level of behavior or societal inclusion necessary to derive benefits from the society of which they are a part. In surrendering, we not only weaken that societal or cultural or business structure, but lessen its potential for change and growth, certainly, but in the greater scheme of things, we make it an enabling cell of malignancy, once vibrant, now corrupted by the kakistocratic regime of illicit and illigitimate control. As the cancerous cells kill the host, that which the host has spawned also succumbs to the ravages of its downward spiral.

What can one person do when the world around them caters to the kakistocratic elemements of their world? You can either take up the "STRIVE FOR MEDIOCRITY" banner and march where you're told, or you can urge those in power to do better, demand excellence, and bring the culture back up to its formmer state or that which it has the potential to be. This might work IF the powers that be are indeed intellectually or otherwise motivated for positive and progressive potentials, if they have not themselves surrendered to the kakistocratic forces around them and yeilded to the siren song, "good enough is good enough."

Unfortunately, one must sometimes abandon the notion that a segment of a society or a culture or a business can be rehabilitated, especially if the senior or power-elite of that organizational structure has itself abandoned its vision of itself. When it has accepted the lowest elements of its structure as the cornerstone of its existence and assumes that the facade supports the edifice and not vice versa, it simply goes along to get along. The structure is fundamentally weakened and in danger of collapsing from inattention. It's then possible, and often probable that even the most well-meaning and supportive elements around it simply can't will it to survive, given that it has abandoned its own will in favor of quiet submission.

While it's sad and it's often terrible to watch a once healthy potential die out in the malignancy it allowed to gain control and in the end nurtured like some bastard son intent on destroying its own inheritance, it's sometimes inevitable that it will fall. Best one can do is grab a comfortable chair and watch the show, hoping that they dont perish in the debris.

Rege Satanas!

#14848 - 11/24/08 08:41 AM Re: Abandoning To The Kakistocratic [Re: Jake999]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Great post Jake!

I agree 100% on the state of things, and am enjoying this new (to me) word to describe them. My only point of contention, as you may have already been expecting based on my earlier posts (My Ego demands that you MUST have read them \:\) ) is this:
 Quote:

or you can urge those in power to do better, demand excellence, and bring the culture back up to its formmer state or that which it has the potential to be. This might work IF the powers that be are indeed intellectually or otherwise motivated for positive and progressive potentials, if they have not themselves surrendered to the kakistocratic forces around them and yeilded to the siren song, "good enough is good enough."

I don't think those in power will ever have the incentive to 'do better' within the current system. Democracy demands that mediocrity be the highest ideal, because within this system the median of the mob will always be the authority. 'Good enough', in my opinion under a democratic state, will always be 'good enough'.

Aside from that altruism is a myth, and politicians will always be out for their own ends, just like everyone else. Representatives can only ever truly represent one person.

#14851 - 11/24/08 09:13 AM Re: Abandoning To The Kakistocratic [Re: Dan_Dread]
Jake999 Offline

Yep. I know. Anarchy. But I'm here to tell you, Dan, that I've met a lot of people who say they're into ANARCHY... but then decide to make rules to govern it, what it is and what it isn't. Basically, they replace the ideal for its polar opposite in a control mechanism, always with their personal take on the what an anarchist has to be in mind.

Here's an idea for you. ALL forms of government (and even anarchy) require the mediocre. Without the mediocre, those who rise above to dictate the law (even the laws and rules anarchists place on other anarchists), would only be shouts in the wind. Equality is a myth.,, All men are created equal, but only in the manner of their methods of birth. The man who realizes that has power.

Like you, I don't believe in altruism. It's a false concept because one can only afford to be altruistic if their personal needs, be it financial, emotional or egoistic, are satisfied. So appealing to the "powers that be" to exert control on the basis of some notion of altruism is fruitless. The power behind the throne... those who's stake isn't in the outward trappings of political power, but the mechanisms for control through wealth and stratification are often those who influence those officials elected by the "constituency." The government has always been the tool of the power elite... not as in idiotic conspiracy theories like the Bilderbergs or the Illuminati... but by the corporate and financial entities that grease the wheels of political position.

As a Satanist, I like the idea of giving people the vote, even if it means less than the paper it's cast on. It gives them the illusion of control. The "unwashed masses" are kept in control most easily when they think that they are in charge... or have chosen "one of their own" to lead them. Also, as a Satanist, I like the idea of the power behind the power... they don't know who we are or what we do. They may speculate, but can they ever be SURE?

#14852 - 11/24/08 09:38 AM Re: Abandoning To The Kakistocratic [Re: Jake999]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Quote:

Yep. I know. Anarchy. But I'm here to tell you, Dan, that I've met a lot of people who say they're into ANARCHY... but then decide to make rules to govern it, what it is and what it isn't. Basically, they replace the ideal for its polar opposite in a control mechanism, always with their personal take on the what an anarchist has to be in mind.

I am not going to steer this thread in the direction of comparing the negatives and positives of a political system versus no political system, I already have two threads going for that.
 Quote:

Here's an idea for you. ALL forms of government (and even anarchy) require the mediocre.

If there was really equality in men, the term 'mediocre' would lose all meaning. The fact that it has meaning in spades shows that equality is in fact, a myth. I don't see mediocrity as something required but rather something unavoidable, based directly on that very fact. You can only be mediocre in the context of a relationship to the performance of other people.

In reality I could have summed up this last paragraph by typing 'I agree', but that would have been much less fun.

Quote:

As a Satanist, I like the idea of giving people the vote, even if it means less than the paper it's cast on. It gives them the illusion of control. The "unwashed masses" are kept in control most easily when they think that they are in charge... or have chosen "one of their own" to lead them. Also, as a Satanist, I like the idea of the power behind the power... they don't know who we are or what we do. They may speculate, but can they ever be SURE?

Well I'm a George Orwell fan too, and I totally understand where you are coming from. The 'power behind the power' is a concept that will be, to my reckoning, forever bound to society. Some people are born to be a face, others,a fist. Others yet, a brain.

#14856 - 11/24/08 01:22 PM Re: Abandoning To The Kakistocratic [Re: Dan_Dread]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I agree. All political systems are misguided messes that place too much faith in either camp- the ignorant, sheeplike masses or power-hungry, self-serving elite. In any case, we need to settle for something.

Anarchy in practice, in my view, could never sustain itself. In the void of a government, other elements of society would most likely tend to congregate and form their own compulsory government and thus succeed from any "anarchic norm".

#14858 - 11/24/08 01:33 PM Re: Abandoning To The Kakistocratic [Re: Jake999]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Also, as a Satanist, I like the idea of the power behind the power... they don't know who we are or what we do. They may speculate, but can they ever be SURE?

But...

Who are these "we" that are behind the "power?" I have doubts that most of us would know, since they are content (in my opinion) at keeping a very low, if not a secret profile.

I personally don't believe that the ones who might exercise real power and influence would ever talk about power and influence, they would more likely be content in hiding in the shadows where they are not seen, quietly pulling our strings.

#14882 - 11/25/08 12:35 PM Re: Abandoning To The Kakistocratic [Re: Jake999]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Dear Jake999

This is very interesting.
I am currently not able to participate in this discussion (work load), but am really looking forward to sink my yellowed teeth into something of proper substance.

Thank you!

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#14923 - 11/27/08 09:34 AM Re: Abandoning To The Kakistocratic [Re: Jake999]
Meq Offline
Banned

Etymologically, 'Kakistocracy' suggests power being concentrated in the hands of the very worst people. I tend to reserve such heavily value-laden terms for my more pissed-off moments, but anyway...

To me, this would suggest something like the rule of the Church during much of the Middle Ages; or in more recent times, the tyranny of Stalinist Russia and Maoist China; where individual freedom was practically non-existent.

Yes, IMNSHO, Bush was a cunt. But I would still not place him or his government in the same category as above. 'Kakistos' suggests only the worst of the worst. I can think of more bloodthirsty tyrants and even stupider mob rule (the witch hunts for starters).

For contemporary 'democratic' societies in which the ignorant masses have an equal say to those who know, where elitism is frowned upon and a feel-good relativism of opinion displaces empirical knowledge, canceling out the positive effects of greatness and replacing it with mediocrity and the rule of the mediocre, I have a better word.

Mediocracy.

#14924 - 11/27/08 10:56 AM Re: Abandoning To The Kakistocratic [Re: Meq]
Jake999 Offline

The idea of an insidious kakistocracy can indeed describe current governments in many places, but we as a people tend to see it as such because it's hard to look at something so all pervasive and realize that the idea of a kakistocracy is both macrocosmic AND microcosmic. Just as it's possible to have these effects on a large scale, such as national and international governmental culture as it seeps into every fabric of our societal and/or cultural group dynamics. Even in an association of two people, one can force themselves into a leadership position simply by ignorant obstinance. The other of the duo sees the good qualities of the individual beyond their ignorance and "goes along to get along," never realizing that in the end, they've "sold their soul" for half a bargain in interpersonal relationships and tenuous security.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.