Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#14860 - 11/24/08 01:47 PM Teen Satanists
Stefanie Offline
stranger

Loc: Chicago,IL
I was just wondering what anyones thought was about teens or even children being satanists? Do you think its okay or should children and teens not focus on religion and just live their lives. Im 17 and I think its ok for children and teens to believe or have a religion of some sort but they should get to choose it themselves. My parents still try to get me to go to church and what not but I will never go back to being a Catholic. I will stay a modern satanists. So I was just wondering what anyones thought was for children and teens in this kind of religion.
#14862 - 11/24/08 02:04 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: Stefanie]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

You can't not focus on religion or philosophy and just live your life. The nature of it is that it settles in your brain.

That being said, teens and religion, well, to say it in a polite manner, religion of philosophies of life are pretty useless if you're not living it.
Teens are generally not out there providing for their own life, and in such, live in a state of bliss that makes having certain convictions pretty easy. The moment you become independant, as far as possible, and are confronted with real life, its great and depressing sides, its lures and traps, the opposition, the confrontation with your self, the easiness of settling in mediocrity, well at that point you'll come to realize what your religion or philosophy is worth.
Of course, even at that point many people still prefer to live in an intellectual state of bliss and fooling themselves.

It's what I call the difference between walking the path and talking the path.

Still, there might be good intentions and such but I personally don't take them too serious. What many have in their mind at 17, most forgot at 25.

D.

#14864 - 11/24/08 02:15 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: Stefanie]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Satanist is only a label.

Don't get me wrong, labels are important. Without them we would not be able to distinguish one thing from another via communication, and that would make things rather difficult.

The only question you should be asking yourself is, 'Does this label describe me.'

A good place to start is by reading the Satanic Bible. If it REALLY seems like LaVey is describing YOU when he talks about Satanists, if the words click with your sense of reason, then perhaps you are that rare type of person that can wear the label 'Satanist' with accuracy.

The words of Satanists tend to resonate with other Satanists.

If none of this is so for you, then you might just well be wasting your time here.

Age really isn't a factor in this case, as far as I can tell.

#14865 - 11/24/08 02:27 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: Dan_Dread]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Quote:
Age really isn't a factor in this case, as far as I can tell.

Of course it is Dan.

I do think Satanism is more than a label. It is used to decribe something, no argument there, but in the case of Satanism, it not only describes how you think but also how you live. The two are connected, you can't -certainly not in this branch- think opposite to how you live. There can't be conflicts, at least not of a permanent nature.
That's why I said that for teens it's rather easy. They don't know half of it; the manner of living and seriously, that's a tiny bit more difficult than accepting it intellectually.

Now, I encourage every teen to go out there and explore whatever but they should realize that thinking something doesn't naturally imply being something. That's the fault most make, they see or read something they like, adapt and consider themselves equals. No, seriously, no.

Age is a factor but it's not so limiting you have to sit frozen until you're older.

D.

#14866 - 11/24/08 02:32 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: Stefanie]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Hi Stef.

There are about as many differences of opinion on the subject, as there are people here, so I can only give you my personal opinion.

I believe, that once a person, of what ever age, is truly free to chose a philosophy (opinion for life) themselves, then they are able to choose, without asking others what they think about it.
In other words, if you have to ask, if it is ok to think a certain way, and believe certain things, you are not truly free in your thinking. This is ok. It takes most people a great part of life, to decide for themselves what they believe, and not have others tell them what they should believe.
As a matter of fact, most people go through their whole life, without thinking for themselves.

Another clue, that might show a person that they are not yet thinking for themselves, is the desire and need, to often attempt to convince others that their belief system is wrong, while yours are right.
Once you truly believe in yourself and your opinions, there will be very little, if any need to convince others that you are right.
Furthermore, even if you don’t feel the desire to tell others that your way is the right way, but still feel the need to tell them that you don’t have the desire to argue with them, might still mean, that you are not truly independent in your thinking.
In other words, if you have the desire to PROVE something to others, they still have control over you.

I am by no means suggesting, that a person should lock themselves away, and not bother expressing their opinions to others, because then one could not learn anything. The key is to be able to express your opinions, and then to listen to, and THINK about what the other person is saying in their response.
If you find that you cannot argue (defend) your position against that of another person, because they have some very good arguments, then there is nothing wrong with admitting that they may be right, and acknowledging that they may have taught you something. However, just because you may not be able to defend, and put forth a good argument about what you believe, doesn’t automatically mean that your opinion is not valid. Maybe, you just haven’t found the right vocabulary to express what you know, or might not have all of the information yet.

Also, as with any productive and positive choice, a person has to have many experiences to be able to chose the one that is best suitable for themselves. Often (but not always) a persons young age, has not given them enough information, and life experience to use, in making a final choice. The evidence for this, is in the fact, that even people in the later years of their lives, may decide to chose a different path to go down on, then the one which they have followed previously.

I would suggest, not to concern yourself too much about giving titles to your beliefs and experiences, but instead, experience life and live it to the fullest (but be smart and safe about it), and just enjoy it as much as you can.

Listen to, study, and read about the opinions and ideas of as many different people, or groups of people as you can. Especially those who are the most difficult to agree with; because it is very easy to listen to, and agree with ideas which confirm your existing beliefs, yet they limit greatly what you can learn from them.

#14868 - 11/24/08 03:03 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: Asmedious]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Well Said Asmedius.

Diavolo,
 Quote:

Of course it is Dan.

I do think Satanism is more than a label. It is used to decribe something, no argument there, but in the case of Satanism, it not only describes how you think but also how you live. The two are connected, you can't -certainly not in this branch- think opposite to how you live. There can't be conflicts, at least not of a permanent nature.

Agreed absolutely. Satanism is a walk, not a talk. When I talk about Satanism and the words of the Satanic Bible resonating, I'm not just talking about general agreeance with the philosophy but a recognition of self, both in philosophy and in action, and most of all in results.

I recognized my own Satanic nature at the age of 16, when I felt that sense of awe and bewilderment when reading TSB for the first time. At that time I was already living it. I had good grades, was popular, got the girls. I of course have grown enormously since that point, but my essential Satanic core, my black flame, has always been with me.

This is what I mean when I say age is not a factor.

#14869 - 11/24/08 04:07 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: Dan_Dread]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I agree with that, it's in touch with the satanists are born, not made statement.

You can tune with it at an early age but life will put you to the test and make you realize if you're walking the path or are born for something else.

D.

#14872 - 11/24/08 05:20 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: Diavolo]
Jake999 Offline

Well, being "ate up with Satanism" as I am, I'm going to weigh in and say that I think that a child really shouldn't rush to declare themselves ANYTHING in their early years. I'm not saying that they shouldn't explore and learn. Youth and adolescence are periods when the mind is absorbing things like a sponge, BUT it's also a period when one is most influenced by parents and peers, educators, society and the happenstances that bring them into contact with various conflicting ideas.

It's a time when one should BEGIN questioning, and learning to weigh opinions and concepts to see what rings true and what has the hollow echo of falsehood or delusion. We can begin to tell that in our teens, as we begin to know ourselves more thoroughly, as the pubescent flood of hormones and brain chemicals begins to settle down... most kids are awash with 'em at that age.

At 17 and 18, one begins to separate oneself from the family unit. While I of course agree that Satanists are born and not made, before one reaches that age of majority, he/she isn't yet independent. Being dependent upon one's parents for life support quite often stiffles one's ability to talk the talk, let alone walk the walk. and while one might be greatly inspired by the works of LaVey, Crowley, Jesus, or Willie Wonka, they of necessity have to take that support into consideration.

You've got plenty of time to "declare." Use it to find out what you AREN'T. And once you HAVE decided that you resonate to the term Satanist, as Diavolo said, life WILL test you. You'll be offered a lifetime of choices to see if the path you've chosen for yourself is true, or if you've deluded yourself. Even adults sometimes find those tests rough. Lovers that don't share your sentiments, disapproving family, employers, peers... hell, youngun' there are even strangers off of the streets that are willing to tell you you're WRONG.

I'd give it a while. Enjoy youth. You only get one shot at it. Lifelong religion or philosophy isn't something that should be a high priority for you yet. You've got time.

#14874 - 11/24/08 06:27 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: Jake999]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
hi Stef,

you have some very good answers here. At 17, you have so much life ahead of you and everything that happens is going to change and shape you bit by bit, until you are in your late 30's and by then, you will probably will be able to start really making statement about 'who' and 'what' you are. Not to say you won't continue to grow and change then, but for the most part your 'personality' is pretty set.

Question everything, and don't let your parents put you into a Christian box. You have every right to learn about what interestes you, as apposed to what interests them. Don't get too caught up in it all though. As long as you have some basic moral values (you know, don't steal, don't rape, don't fuck your mates girl etc), you'll be fine.

You will probably make lots of mistakes to learn by also. When I was younger, I cheated on my partners a few times. I felt so guilty that I eventually admitted to it and of course the relationships were ruined by it. So I learnt that for me, cheating ruined relationship and now I would never do it as I understand what the consequesnces of that action actually is. Just being told not to cheat would never have had the same effects.

I never asked people for advice when I was young, I wanted to make all my own mistakes and learn from them. And learn I certainly did! Enjoy being young and free while you can, because responsibility will certainly raise it's ugly head soon enough.

Zeph

#14877 - 11/24/08 07:08 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: Stefanie]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Modern Satanism is not a religion, it is a philosophy.

It doesn't matter what other people think, it matters what you think/feel about it.

Read more, do research, look into what ideas resonate within yourself. Some of the other people spoke about Satanist being born with the black flame, not made. That is one reason why age doesn't matter.

None of us can really tell you if Satanism is for you. That is something you have to find out for yourself. This site is full of resources and various information that you can use as a jumping point.

As for Xitan churches, do what you feel is best. If you want them to do shit for you, appease them and go. If you think being a Satanist is just rebelling from them and a reason not to go, you might want to do more research. Its always better to know your opponites side of any matter because that knowledge is something you can use against them.

I am my sisters kid GodMother. They all knew I was a Satanist, but I agreed to it anyway. I went to church, did their rite, and nothing happened. The church didn't fall down, the water didn't turn black, people expected something and nothing came of it.

Religion only has the power you give to it.
If it doesn't matter to you, it doesn't mean anything.

Just be aware that just stating you are a Satanist can make life very hard. I would be selective as to whom you come out to.

Good Luck,
Morgan

#14886 - 11/25/08 01:48 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: Morgan]
Stefanie Offline
stranger

Loc: Chicago,IL
I dont think that by being a satanist is a way for me to rebel against my parents. I cant stand when people say that. Its really not the reason. I have read the Satanic Bible already a few years ago and i did agree with a lot that was written. When i read it i felt the same way about it and thought this is something i need to learn more about and i have. But then i would see that oh to be a memeber in most groups they want you to be 18. I have nothing againts that i guess. I thought that people just had something againts younger kids being a satanist. Thats just why i asked. I am living my life to the fullest as much as i can even though my parents are forcing me to go to church and what not. I will keep learning as much as i can about Satanism. Its just kinda hard to find the right stuff to read and learn about.

Like ill have read something and thought that it was right and then go to another website or book that says that its wrong and that they dont like them or agree with them. so its just kinda hard for me to find the right stuff.

#14887 - 11/25/08 03:12 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: Stefanie]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
 Quote:
so its just kinda hard for me to find the right stuff.

As it should be. Has anything that is deemed worthwhile easy or just given out for free?

Quote:
Like ill have read something and thought that it was right and then go to another website or book that says that its wrong and that they dont like them or agree with them.

You will come to find that with most things in life because (I think many will agree) that right and wrong are measured in what a person likes and what a person dislikes.

Quote:
But then i would see that oh to be a memeber in most groups they want you to be 18.

Have you ever thought that they do this for their own protection? I could quite possibly see some organization getting sued by someone's parent because they let the "child" join the organization.

Just because someone is under the age of 18 doesn't make them less intelligent. I have met many people both over 18 and under who act a lot more mature then most people their age. I guess it all depends on the individuals mentality not their age. I wont touch on that to much it has already been brought up.

Just a heads up, you don't need to be a member of this group or that group to obtain knowledge. All you need is a little bit of patience, and to look into the right places (i.e. library, book store and so on.)

Cheers and good luck

#14891 - 11/25/08 08:43 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: Ringmaster]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I pretty much agree with most everything said here.

The teen years should be used to explore and realize what defines you. Don't be too quick to settle into anything definite- chances are you'll end up changing dramatically before you hit the 19-20 area.

I was raised in a moderately-religious Catholic American family, so this is what I initially identified with, but my path to the Left Hand side was anything but rebellion. I agreed with a deal of Christianity, found richness in the culture of Catholicism, and I eventually took a great liking to studying theology and religions. (and it came to the point, if I may flatter myself, that I knew far more about my professed religion than any of my family members) But the more I learned, the more I found myself disagreeing with mainstream Christianity. I ended up identifying more with apocryphal, gnostic, and other "heretical" literature, and it went on from there.

I first began to explore Satanism as a teenager. It was one of many relgions/philosophies/set of beliefs that I was studying at the time, and I felt identification with many paths over the following years, from Gnosticism and Heathenism to Symbolic (and Theistic) Satanism. But I didn't want to jump right into any of these too soon, since it felt like I would be missing out on something important. Consequently, I only decided to call myself a Satanist once I had been studying it for years and felt like I could no longer call myself anything else.

And of course for all my boasting, I can't claim more than two years on the sinister path, haha...

Time will tell, time will tell.

#14992 - 11/28/08 07:00 AM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: The Zebu]
Lestat_from_lt Offline
stranger

Loc: Lithuania, Ukmerge
I am 16 and I follow Left Hand Path NOT because of act of rebel or tu put a satanist label on myself.

Absolutely agree with Morgan - Satanism is Philosophy. I actually began following it when I started to show interest in philosophy.

#15017 - 11/28/08 02:21 PM Re: Teen Satanists [Re: The Zebu]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I grew up in a godless environment. Of course, catholicism was rather big here when I was young but in my family god isn't a thing mentioned. I never knew what my parents believed in, not even today. The same for my sisters. It doesn't exist in my family.

My schooling was in a catholic environment, as it traditionally was here. If you want decent schooling, you had to go to them. I've seen them all; monks and nuns, religion classes, involuntary masses and praying but it never touched me. I have an aversion for group things and authority and looked upon most stuff as rather silly, even when young.

I never encountered Satanism when I was young, at least none of an intelligent level. Your world is as big as the mediums it has and in my case, the books available were rather limited. That's what you get when you live in a rat-sized town in a rat-sized country. Tv wasn't the all-being in those days either.

Basically I lived the way I did think was right but I believed in a lot of stupid stuff when I was young. Naivity is something that takes time to destroy. You just don't have the knowledge when you are a puppy. The older you get, the easier it is to take some distance from your opinions from time to time and criticise them, see what is valid and what not.

When I encountered Lavey's little book, my manner of living was already fixed. I had an aha-erlebnis when reading it but that's about it and it took until the internet for me to fully explore my Satanism. Most through debate. I used the label Satanist during that period although I had years that I didn't wanna call myself one because I was fed up by all the losers wearing the same cape.

The last decades, all I do is finetune and weed in my ideas. I still like Satanism although the label is nothing but a form nowadays. I am more interested in the LHP itself than in its cultural descriptions.

Still, most of my convictions are rock-solid nowadays but not static. When I was a puppy, things were very different.

D.

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.037 seconds of which 0.006 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.