Topic Options
#17315 - 12/31/08 09:06 AM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Diavolo]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Quote:

I'm not a primate.

Yes, you are.

Primates, which includes humans and the nonhuman primates, the apes, monkeys, lemurs, tree-shrews, lorises, aye-ayes, pottos, bush babies and tarsiers. They are characterized by being plantigrade, pentadactyl, by having clavicles, a complete dentition without specialized molars, a voluminous and complicated brain and a supple hand with a thumb that can be approximated to any of the fingers. They have excellent sight and are highly adapted to an arboreal existence, including the possession by some of a prehensile tail.

Also, I bet you would burn pretty.

#17318 - 12/31/08 09:15 AM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Dan_Dread]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Le Sigh.

Anyways, what experience? So we're going to shift the path from a subject lacking evidence in so many cases it can't even be disproved and then take the route of experience and act as if THAT would contribute ANYTHING at all in this subject.

That's like scientists giving up on finding a cure for cancer due to the complexity and suggest all might better get on their knees and start burning candles at a picture of Mary. That might work better.

D.

#17321 - 12/31/08 09:30 AM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Diavolo]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
THEORY: A proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact; An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

You are lacking this part: are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact. So I repeat, you don't have a theory but an idea. Learn to read definitions more carefully. If I take your words literally I can theorize whatever I want. That's not the way science works, that's the way how idiots who try to be important work. If you want to have a theory you must at least have some descent evidence. Wich you don't clearly have wich means --> you have an idea. The best you can have is having a hypothese.

You'd better watch out, you are coming near a point where your intelligence lacks and mine has mastered.

Quote:
What an absolute contradiction. On one hand you claim that we know the limits of all frequencies in the universe, and then you say we just know the limit of all the frequencies within the earth, and then you claim that you believe 90% of all the universe is still unknown.

I defined 2 systems:
First one is system earth where we know all frequencies.
Second one is system "universe" where we don't know everything about.
I'm not contradicting myself, I divided the problem into 2 separate cases.

Quote:
How can you possibly claim awareness of all frequencies if there are things out there we cannot even begin to perceive without technology, and technology has only reached a limited level of advancement?

To give you the answer on this part: we humans are already capable to measure a broad wave of frequencies. When the light of the sun reaches us it has a broad spectra of different waves. We already managed to find all the different waves the sun emits. Our technology can measure sound frequencies even a dog can't hear. So I even doubt that you as a human with bad senses can see things technology can't detect. We humans and animals have quite bad senses. We can't see all things nor sense them.
What you are telling me is nothing more then heated bullshit you try to sell. Nothing more, nothing less. I want to believe ghosts exist, but somehow.. there is always something rational which explains certain spooky situations. I have yet to meet a real ghost and even so I'll get my toolkit to see if I'm not hallucinating.
If you want proofs, go visit some scientific websites. I'm quite sure they'll laugh there asses off with you theory. I mean.. Idea.

Edited by Dimitri (12/31/08 09:43 AM)

#17324 - 12/31/08 09:43 AM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Dimitri]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Lalala

Quote:
THEORY: A proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact; An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

Theory: contemplation or speculation.

Lalala

D.

Edited by Diavolo (12/31/08 09:44 AM)

#17325 - 12/31/08 09:45 AM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Diavolo]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Like I said before:
before you have a real theory you must at least have some decent evidence. Wich she lacks.

#17326 - 12/31/08 09:47 AM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Dimitri]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

You don't need evidence at all to have a theory. You have theories with supporting evidence like the theory of evolution and you have those without supporting evidence like the theory of creation by god. BOTH are theories.

D.

#17327 - 12/31/08 09:55 AM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Diavolo]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Ah, but actually the "theory of god" isn't really a theory.
Most believers call it that way, but scientifically spoken it's only a mere hypothese. There is no actual proof of him.

There are indeed theories without evidence. Just like there are mathematical functions who can't be proven but actually are quite right. Technically it is wrong to call it a theory but being lazy and to keep it simple for the less intelligent people most call it a "theory" falsly.

#17330 - 12/31/08 11:15 AM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Dimitri]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

You two are equivocating.

Theory, by the scientific definition is a hypothesis supported by voluminous amounts of facts and evidence.

Theory, by the common contemporary usage (which is basically a hijack) is a synonym for 'guess', which is even less than a hypothesis.

Define your terms gentlemen!

#17331 - 12/31/08 11:16 AM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Dimitri]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Some know when they mess up, swallow and retreat gracefully, others keep digging the hole deeper and deeper.

D.

#17338 - 12/31/08 11:34 AM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Diavolo]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Think whatever you want diavolo, but dan has got it on the right end. He translated what I was trying to say.

#17345 - 12/31/08 12:56 PM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Dimitri]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Yeah whatever.

To a degree this is getting pathetic. I totally don't agree with what she suggests but I am not bothered that she does. Now apparently people do have a problem with ideas that are not their own, even to such a degree that they start arguing that they can't even call it theory, coz that is so blasphemous towards scientific thinking. It's a theory in the sense as we all understand and use theory on this board and this sudden cock-up about it is nothing but grabbing straws. This board tolerates different ideas and thinking as long as they are presented in an intelligent and debatable form. People that prefer the Borg mentality might feel better at home at the letters. I see nothing wrong with how she presents it and even if I think some ideas are wrong, I do not see the need to suddenly call her stupid or act as if she's a total moron. The fact that she is BLUE might indicate that she probably isn't and deserved the color.

I didn't see anyone call Morgan a fool for believing in her ghost-cat? Why not? Because it isn't safe to bite her? Could we maybe ask the reds or greens to post an opinion of faith so we can call them total idiots too? How many really would dare?
Some here on board make me sick, you are so easily influenced by others behavior it makes me really wonder why the fuck you believe to be a satanist at all. You're nothing but puppets jumping on the biggest wagon. Yes that's also to you Dimitri, a couple of weeks ago you were the care-police and now suddenly you act as if you got teeth. I didn't see you bite anything that didn't have a 'no risk involved' sign. Stop fucking pretending.

And to you guys finding this thread boring, just shut the fuck up and don't submit yourself to what you don't need to. If people here feel like arguing it until 2015, let them fucking do it. Go read something else.

D.

#17346 - 12/31/08 01:16 PM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Diavolo]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

If you were talking to me in any way D, you know that I don't give a fuck what color someones username is. I call bullshit where I see it.

The reason I, for one, did not 'bite' Morgan is because she is not here pretending like she has all this revealed knowledge about the nature of the 'ghost cat afterlife'.

All this, of course, if you were talking to me. If not, lets just make a baby.

#17358 - 12/31/08 04:12 PM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Diavolo]
Succubus666 Offline

Originally Posted By: Diavolo
Some here on board make me sick, you are so easily influenced by others behavior it makes me really wonder why the fuck you believe to be a satanist at all. You're nothing but puppets jumping on the biggest wagon.

First I’d like to point out that the definition of “theory” that I posted came directly from dictionary.com, so if anyone is really petty enough that they want to argue about something so obvious, go and argue with the dictionary instead of wasting people’s time on this board.

I think your commentary on the evolution of this thread and those within it was quite accurate Diavolo. I’ve been a member of this forum for 9 years and have witnessed similar behavior in the past. Despite it being contradictory to the philosophy of Satanism, some people who call themselves such still feel the need to jump on the bandwagon every now and then. I’d rather be ridiculed for having my own opinion than find some sort of smug comfort in being of the most popular opinion. I also don’t understand why anyone would bother complaining about the length of this thread. It’s obvious that no one is going to be proven right one way or another, and I was never looking to be proven right. The whole point of philosophy is that it’s debatable, the whole point of this forum is intelligent discussion. This is just one example of where the combination leads and no one is being forced to be here.

#17360 - 12/31/08 04:32 PM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Dan_Dread]
Succubus666 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread
If you were talking to me in any way D, you know that I don't give a fuck what color someones username is. I call bullshit where I see it.

Your definition of “bullshit” is the fact that I have an opinion, and I have made reference to reasons that I have that opinion. Like Diavolo I have made the speculation that no completely solid evidence exists one way or the other, and have completely acknowledged that any opinion given here by anyone is theirs and theirs alone. So if that is the way you should choose to define “bullshit” you are in exactly the same boat as you accuse me of being in. You have your own opinion and reasons for having that opinion, but you are doing exactly the same thing I am in choosing to discuss your opinion. Unless you’re actually referring to the fact that you are willing to discuss your own opinion as being bullshit as well, your “bullshit where I see it” statement is completely hypocritical.

#17363 - 12/31/08 05:46 PM Re: Consciousness and Death [Re: Diavolo]
Succubus666 Offline

I’ve heard so much about The Holographic Universeby Michael Talbot that I purchased a copy to read at some point in the near future. If anyone has read it, I’d like to know what you thought. There is some information on it here:

http://twm.co.nz/holoUni.html

The Holographic Universe is a “must read” for anyone with an open, inquiring mind and a curiosity about the cosmos in which we reside. You are likely to find the material presented here to be nothing short of astounding. The ramifications for humanity are staggering as this book seriously challenges the basis for our cultural view of reality: materialism. After reading The Holographic Universe, you will understand why so many people are starting to say that a paradigm shift in our science and culture is at hand.

Science’s orthodoxy still resists abandoning materialism, but the scientific handwriting has been on the wall ever since 1905 when Einstein delivered his papers on Special Relativity and The Photovoltaic Effect. Subsequent research in Quantum Mechanics (sub-atomic physics) continues to usher us away from materialism and toward something far more interesting. History has shown us that radically new advances in worldviews almost never occur with the blessing of the Old Guard; it invariably takes fresh new minds to accept change of such magnitude. So it is with our society. As we move into the next millennium, concepts similar to those presented by Talbot will become mainstream and commonplace. As a result, our society will also be transformed.

The concepts presented in this book are a cornerstone of Quanta-Gaia -- the quest to better understand the cosmos and our role in it. After reading this book, you will either dismiss it as fantasy, like so many dismissed Einstein's papers in 1905, or you will be impressed by the magnitude of change which is at hand.

Page 12 of 13 « First<910111213>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.