Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#154 - 09/06/07 06:45 PM Judge smells what the Patriot Act is cookin'
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Finally, there is ONE judge who knows bullshit when he sees it!

Now if only we could rally this fucked up citizenry against Big Brother...but we all know how that book ended.

Judge deals blow to Patriot Act

#161 - 09/07/07 01:29 PM Re: Judge smells what the Patriot Act is cookin' [Re: Nemesis]
ballbreaker Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Don't get too excited.

There already exists massive amounts of legal precedence to support the idea of the Patriot Act, which is relatively 'minor' (in terms of the liberties it offends against) in comparison to the measures taken by the US government during World War II.

I think that the Patriot Act is only concieved of being so awful because of the percieved magnitude of the 'enemies' it is meant to keep at bay: Most Westerners do not yet percieve Islam to be as dangerous as fascism was in the late 1930s and early '40s, so it's reasonable that we are viewing some security measures with skepticism.

However, we ought to situate the modern threat to the West in a realistic context and consider to what lengths we would be willing to go to in order to defeat it.

After all, no constitution is a suicide pact.

#165 - 09/07/07 08:48 PM Re: Judge smells what the Patriot Act is cookin' [Re: ballbreaker]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
They shouldn't be able to search my web records, but I'm not too concerned. I have very little to hide. Of course, anyone is welcome to come try and convince me I should be concerned.
#168 - 09/07/07 10:11 PM Re: Judge smells what the Patriot Act is cookin' [Re: 97and107]
Nemesis Offline

There are always IP web site filters one can go through, although I doubt how immune those really are from Homeland Security.

I'm also of the opinion that no one doing anything wrong has anything to fear from government scrutiny. On the other hand, installing cameras in people's bedrooms is crossing the line!

How does the saying go? Only honest people will stop at a locked door. Or something to that effect.

#176 - 09/08/07 08:46 AM Re: Judge smells what the Patriot Act is cookin' [Re: Nemesis]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Yeah it reminds me of something I say in a paper some years ago, some study saying that 80% of the people that use your bathroom look in the vanity to see what's inside.

Maybe it's human nature to be nosey? If so, isn't the government just an extension of that nature?

Zeph

#177 - 09/08/07 01:26 PM Re: Judge smells what the Patriot Act is cookin' [Re: Nemesis]
Trismegistus Offline
stranger

Psh. As if domestic terrorism ever hurt anyone.

I believe the Patriot Act is really nothing more than a U.S procedure for fighting asymmetric warfare. That said, I also think it's nothing to worry about. I don't believe the Act to be a vital or perfect aegis like Bush thinks, but I don't believe it is a deadfall to the investiture of totalitarianism like some liberal whose name isn't important enough to remember.

#178 - 09/08/07 01:44 PM Re: Judge smells what the Patriot Act is cookin' [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Nemesis Offline

Originally Posted By: ZephyrGirl

Maybe it's human nature to be nosey?

I think it's a matter of survival in society. But one must be circumspect about it.

Finding out the goings on of other people, i.e. at the workplace, can be essential in ferreting out information that can be used in many ways. Having seen the criminal records of several employees I work(ed) with online, I possess(ed) the upper hand concerning my dealings with them. That gave me confidence, because they were conniving, lying little pricks who liked to twist their sob stories to put them in the victimized lime-light, and I knew I could wreck their little illusion-dome they'd built for themselves at any time. So, having the abiity to put others in their place (below you, of course) is one benefit of being nosy.

Another reason is opportunity. If you have reason to believe that someone is in disfavor with the boss, and you are not, what better time to put forth a little extra effort? Your manager will be grateful for your assisstance, and if he's in a jovial mood, drop a veiled insult or derisive observation (concealed as a joke) or two about the person who's been slacking. He might think to himself, "Yeah, that's true", but won't say it. Undermining the opposition is key.

Competition for wealthy husbands, thus ensuring a more comfortable life, has been the game of women for thousands of years. That's probably why we're so good at it.

#390 - 09/17/07 10:19 AM Re: Judge smells what the Patriot Act is cookin' [Re: Nemesis]
Cody Offline
pledge

You either accept the wisdom of higher authorities and trust them to do what is in your best interest or you don't.

Whether it's the Gun Control debate, the various Patriot Acts (and numerous other sidelining cheerleaders and hot-dog sellers selling overpriced bits of boiled or steamed meat) I still feel the same. When it really comes down to it on the personal level there will be no armed police, no statesmen, and no presidents that will be with you in true times of need to defend yourself or your family, but fear and respect for taught symbols and icons leads some to accept (to me) the unacceptable, capitulation to higher powers for personal safety usually never leads to anything but personal destruction one way or another somewhere along the line.

I see self proclaimed left-wingers, right-wingers and everywhere in between saying the same things over and over, most parroting someone else's ideas and think it means something. I have no such illusions (maybe I do?). My typed voice is just another voice in the whirlwind of the chaos that is and always has been, but I would say be wary. The loaded word "Fascism" will not come to Americans with the knock on the door and with replacing your symbols with something else, it will come as a thief in the night. It has already been stated that this is a war without end, I would say that it is conceiveable that if necessary, more restraints will be imposed and the domesticated will allow it and be further domesticated.

Even the normally timid mouse will fight when cornered, give them an escape route and they will take it to avoid confrontation, always construct your maze so the mouse will have a route to resort to, but a route you have already chosen for them.

#468 - 09/19/07 09:20 AM Re: Judge smells what the Patriot Act is cookin' [Re: Cody]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
A nation consists of its laws.
A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time.

If an individualīs morals are situational,
that individual is without morals.

If a nationīs laws are situational,
that nation has no laws, and soon is not a nation.

Are you really so scared of terrorists that youīll dismantle the structures that made America what it is?

If you are, you let the terrorist win.
Because that is exactly, specifically, his goal, his only goal:
to frighten you into surrendering the rule of law.
Thatīs why they call him "terrorist".
He uses terrifying threats to induce you to degrade your own society.

ItĻs based on the same glitch in human psychology that allows people to believe they can win the lottery.

Statistically, almost nobody ever wins the lottery.
Statistically, terrorist attacks almost never happens.

As spoken by the character "Milgrim" in William Gibsonīs most recent novel; Spook Country.

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#8610 - 05/11/08 02:41 PM Re: Judge smells what the Patriot Act is cookin' [Re: ZephyrGirl]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
 Originally Posted By: ZephyrGirl
Yeah it reminds me of something I say in a paper some years ago, some study saying that 80% of the people that use your bathroom look in the vanity to see what's inside.

Maybe it's human nature to be nosey? If so, isn't the government just an extension of that nature?

Zeph

Ick. What lousy guests. I used to do that when I was a kid, I would dogsit for people and look in their fridge but I grew out of that pretty quick...I don't have very many people over and if I do I prefer that they are much older.

The government can be scary. They are, after all, the power in place and they control the right arm - military might of the sum of billions of people. So people get scared.

I think the only real solution is vigilance and speaking out.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.