Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#15465 - 12/04/08 04:59 AM Re: Tipping? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Picunnus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Yes, it seems the general consensus is "dick". I'm going to guess that you have never had this type of job. I'm also going to guess that if you were a waiter, you'd get terrible tips.

THIS THREAD IS A DEAD HORSE!!

#15470 - 12/04/08 06:00 AM Re: Tipping? [Re: Picunnus]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
We don't tip as a rule in Australia, but personally I like to sometimes if I want or get better service than the average.

Restaurants are really the only place I tip.

When I was in the states, I soon worked out better tip better service. Like in Vegas, free drinks at tables, but tip well and they happen more often, tip badly and you wait hours for that waitress to come back.

Men that don't know how to tip are usually bad dates or providers. It's showing yourself to be cheap and not good material as even a fuck buddy (fuck buddy's should be extra generous as they get the most for the least).

INSHO,

Zeph

#15472 - 12/04/08 08:09 AM Re: Tipping? [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Jake999 Offline

LOL! If you don't know how to work the "green grease" in Vegas, baby, you gotta learn QUICK!

#15478 - 12/04/08 11:11 AM Re: Tipping? [Re: Jake999]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

"Yes, it seems the general consensus is "dick"."

Oh darn. A few people on the internet think i'm a dick. It must be true if it were said on an internet forum...

"I'm going to guess that you have never had this type of job."

Well you would be wrong. I worked as a cook a for quite a while. Your assumptions are false.

#15485 - 12/04/08 03:30 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

It seems Oz has the same culture as us when it comes to tipping or not tipping. I did check wiki on it and it is fascinating how cultures either promote or abhore tipping. It's different everywhere.

Down here, service jobs are not paid too bad and they make a reasonable living not due to tipping but due to making a lot of hours. It's a bit like the truckers, you make less money but more hours.

Still, to me, tipping when being enforced by a higher, cultural entity feels strange and I'll probably never get used to it.

On one occasion, when in a bar up there, the lady behind personally thanked me, as if I had rescued her baby out of a burning house, after me telling her to keep the change. It made me feel very uncomfortable.

It's not my thing for sure. I could care less about the money but the social aspect of it shits me a bit.

D.

#15491 - 12/04/08 05:47 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Disabuse Offline

If you worked as a cook, then you would clearly know that waitresses do not get paid minimum wage. Waitress minimum wage is much lower then typical minimum wages because of a tip based profession. And yes, there are federal differences in the minimum wages for normal jobs and waitress jobs.

When I was a chef, minimum wage was around $6.25 or so, waitress minimum was $1.75.

Waitresses don't make crap unless tipped. If you don't tip, that is your choice. It still doesn't mean they are making $7 an hour or whatever the minimum wage is now.

#15492 - 12/04/08 06:10 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: Diavolo]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
I grew up in a tipping culture and now live in a culture with little to no tipping. It feels weird. I enjoyed giving people good tips.

Now I keep hearing in the news that the tips are all taken by absent owners of some restaurants and the servers don't see a dime. I would appreciate some kind of anti-tip option there.

Edited by coelentrate (12/04/08 06:11 PM)

#15493 - 12/04/08 06:48 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: coelentrate]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

"If you worked as a cook, then you would clearly know that waitresses do not get paid minimum wage. Waitress minimum wage is much lower then typical minimum wages because of a tip based profession. And yes, there are federal differences in the minimum wages for normal jobs and waitress jobs."

I don't know where you get that information from. All the waitresses I have ever worked with either made minimun wage or above. Minimum wage is exactly that. It is the minimum amount you can get paid doing any kind of work. There is also a law stating employers can't use tips as compensation for regular pay.

#15495 - 12/04/08 07:39 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Disabuse Offline

http://www.dol.gov/wb/faq26.htm

Try again please. If you don't tip, they don't make shit. I would not know what to do if I wasn't making tips and had to rely on $6.55 an hour.

#15496 - 12/04/08 07:48 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: Disabuse]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

"State law prohibits using tips to calculate the amount of Oregon´s minimum wage. This means that all employers in Oregon must pay the full amount of minimum wage without benefit of a tip credit. All tips must remain the property of the employee except to the extent that there is a valid pooling arrangement."

Taken from: http://www.oregon.gov/BOLI/WHD/W_Whrest.shtml

Try again.

#15497 - 12/04/08 07:52 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Disabuse Offline

That is just in YOUR state. Don't tell others they are wrong when federal law states it is possible. Not many states cover wages for waitresses like that.

Oregon a commonwealth?

#15498 - 12/04/08 08:04 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: Disabuse]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I don't care about what other states do. I was referring to the one that I live in.

#15499 - 12/04/08 08:08 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: Disabuse]
Jake999 Offline

Oregon's not common in it, but they do have a higher cash minimum wage at $7.95 for "tipped employees," according to the US Department of Labor (http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/state/tipped.htm). California is $8.00.

But if you make $8.00 in California, your ass is POOR. Trust me, I spent 20 years in the San Francisco Bay area, and people making that kind of a wage were the working poor and most often on the edge of going under, even if there were two breadwinners in the family.

As you can see from the chart, very few places in the US force a hard minimum, and the remainder ASSUME tip enhancement of the state minimum wage. Oregon's rate looks pretty good to someone in Kansas whose minimum wage, pre-tip enhancement is $1.59 per hour.

#15503 - 12/04/08 08:50 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Last night in chat you brought this thread up… After a few minutes of talking you said it didn’t matter you do not care… I responded to you that you brought it up, to which you replied that you figured easier to answer me in chat than write a reply…

What you did not get and I did not expand on was I was saying you started it, meaning this whole thread… Why start a thread topic if you do not care? Then I come on tonight to see you still “trying” to argue your side of it… Funny you feel the need to prove you are right in something that you do not care about…

When you talk about things like you have experience and proof and then bam you are backed into the corner with proof of federal law… Saying well this is how it is here, I do not care how it is anywhere else but my state… Pretty fucking lame, I am beginning to see a pattern of you only caring about opinions that match your own…

Just like you saying you do not believe that giving a good tip will get you better portions or better food… Your loss, Me Jake and Fake know and benefit from being known at the places we haunt… But of course do as you will just please realize you clearly have limited experience in what you are saying…

In the end, “it doesn’t matter” to me…

~T~

#15506 - 12/04/08 09:20 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: ta2zz]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

"to which you replied that you figured easier to answer me in chat than write a reply…"

Actually what I said was that since we were both in chat it made more sense to reply to you then.

"After a few minutes of talking you said it didn’t matter you do not care"

I don't belive I said that at all.

"I am beginning to see a pattern of you only caring about opinions that match your own…"

Why should I care about any other opinions? I can and have learned from different opinions, but that doesn't mean that I have to care about the opinion. Nor does it mean I have to care about the person giving that opinion. If I feel that an opinion is valid to me and that I can learn from it, I will take from what I wish. If someone says something you disagree with I am sure you would probably dismiss it as well. Unless you are smart enough to realize when someone has a point. Then you too might take from that what you wish.

"I do not care how it is anywhere else but my state"

Why should I care how it is in other states? I don't live in those states so I am not affected by it.

"But of course do as you will just please realize you clearly have limited experience in what you are saying…"

I could make the exact same statement to you.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.032 seconds of which 0.008 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.