Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#15510 - 12/04/08 11:37 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: ta2zz]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
This is the power that tipping well will earn you. A few months ago I was out getting the groceries on a Sunday, as I typically do. It was 3 in the afternoon and I had a craving for some greasy food and a beer. One of my favorite local haunts is about 5 minutes from my house. I saw the doors were open and decided to pull in for a pint and some food. I walked in and saddled up to the bar, noticing there didn't really seem to be anybody there and most of the chairs were still turned up. One of the waiters I know came up and told me they were closed still. They didn't open for another 2 hours. He asked me what I was interested in, since there was only a very bare skeleton crew there prepping for the evening crowd. When I told him I would leave, he said no. You are welcome and we will do what we can to accomodate you. I placed an order for a beer and some cheese fries. The prep cook made my fries and I got my beer. They even turned on the tvs and asked what I wanted to watch. I ordered another beer and made sure I tipped them more than the 20%, which is considered very good. Any other clown that had stepped off the street would have been told to leave.

A few years back, I was in DC for a concert. I decided to wander around the area since I had arrived way too early. I was just strolling when a bar owner asked if I would like to come in and have a drink. It was the middle of August and about 1000 degrees with 100% humidity, so I agreed. I placed an order for a vodka and cranberry. The owner and I then struck up a conversation. He learned I enjoy cigars, and allowed me to smoke one in the club. He also learned we both share an affinity for very fine tequila. Which he then pulled out a very expensive bottle of Herradura and poured me a few shots. I inquired about a fancy bottle sitting behind the bar. He poured me a shot. I spent about 2 hours in the club, drinking and smoking and talking with this guy. There were quite a few other customers in there at the time. I asked for my bill and he only charged me for the one vodka and cranberry. Total was about $5. I gave him a $20 and told him it was all his. It was one of the best times I had. I was given his personal phone number and told any time I wanted to come back, call him, and he would have a table set up, cigars, tequila, and best of all......would not charge me an arm and a leg. That's the power of a tip.

#15513 - 12/05/08 04:01 AM Re: Tipping? [Re: fakepropht]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

So it seems like you are talking about bars. I already stated that the only people I tip are bartenders. When I lived in Vegas, there was a place a few block from my apartment known as Dicks Tavern. During my first few visits there I tipped the bartenders extremely well. They in turn made my drinks extremely strong. I eventually fell on hard times out there. My girlfriend let her affinity for meth get the best of her and we lost our place. I decided then that we part ways. I ended up homeless in Las Vegas. Luckily I was still welcome at the aforementioned bar, given free drinks and allowed to sleep in the storeroom for as long as I needed provided I didn't create a disturbance to their business process. I eventually met the owner of the establishment and we became fast friends. He provided me with a place to stay until I was able to get back on my feet and find a more stable living situation.

Some of you have claimed tipping waitresses will insure a better dining experience and larger portions etc. Sure tipping might get you a better table, but does that really make a difference? Food is food, and it will taste the same no matter where you are sitting. As far as portions are concernced; those are tipically set by the owner of the restaraunt or the head chef/kitchen manager. The portions are decided by the amount it costs to buy a certain food product, the frequency in which the food is ordered and the amount of money it costs to pay the employees.

You may tip your waitress well, but when it comes to portioning; that tip will have no bearing on the amount of food you recieve. That is unless you have a good relationship with the waiter/waitress, cook, and most importantly the owner. The foundation of such relationship will be based on a lot more than the amount you tip when you dine there.

#15517 - 12/05/08 07:11 AM Re: Tipping? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Picunnus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
You don't have to care about other states but if you are having a conversation (as you are) with people that don't live in your state then it might help to know why we are saying the things we are saying. Otherwise, you have a very limited source of information to back up your argument. I think you'll find this applies to ANY argument, about anything. When you don't care and don't want to know about the rest of the world, you severely limit your scope and gravely hamper your chances of success at debate. I suggest we limit this thread to people that live in Oregon, since that's all you want to talk about. I don't think you'll get much conversation on that route.

#15529 - 12/05/08 12:45 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Really, is it too much to ask of you to tip a server a couple of extra bucks if they came right to your table after you were seated, got your drinks and entree order in and brought them out promptly, and doesn't make you wait forever for the check? We all know it has no bearing on the amount or quality of food-that's left up to the cooks. Ever heard of positive reinforcement? Tip them for good service, and just like a dog, they'll learn what earns them money and why they lose out on it if they suck.

Your refusing to add a tip for good service at the end of your meal makes you look like a cheap ass. You want to impress a chick you're on a date with? Don't give her the same spiel you gave us about "They make minimum wage and it's their fault they have a shit job". She won't be likely to give you any pussy or go out with you again. Generosity is a sign of a person who makes decent money, acknowledges someone providing them with good service, and also shows that they'll be a good provider, even if it's only a booty call or a first date. Many servers are college students who can't find a job that is willing to work around their school schedule. As soon as they graduate, or their load lessens, they tend to find a better job NOT in the service industry. So don't jump to conclusions.

It's all about image. What if you went out to lunch with a client, or business coworkers? Your not tipping after a meal doesn't reflect well on you. If you're hard up on cash, don't dine out. Or call in your order for pick up.

Your reasoning behind not tipping reminds me of a conversation I overheard a few years ago. A young neo-hippie was giving his date/girlfriend a hard time about her Starbucks coffee she was drinking, calling it "her corporate coffee", and basically just being a boob. Tipping is a social custom, and unless you don't want anything to do with the society you live in (including not reaping any rewards from it), don't bother.

Now if the service sucks, don't tip. If it's terrible, go to the manager and complain. Likely that server (or cook) will be written up and you'll get a gift card for that restaurant.

Edited by Nemesis (12/05/08 02:46 PM)
Edit Reason: hippie story

#15554 - 12/05/08 08:12 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: Nemesis]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

"Your refusing to add a tip for good service at the end of your meal makes you look like a cheap ass."

That is fine with me. People are entitled to make all the assumptions they want. I am not going to lose any sleep over someone thinking I am cheap ass.

"You want to impress a chick you're on a date with? Don't give her the same spiel you gave us about "They make minimum wage and it's their fault they have a shit job". She won't be likely to give you any pussy or go out with you again."

When I take girls out I rarely take the out to eat. I prefer to cook for them. From my experience women like a man who knows how to cook. If they are going to get all bent out of shape and refuse to put out because I don't believe in tipping that is their problem. Such superficiality is a turn off to me anyway.

"Your reasoning behind not tipping reminds me of a conversation I overheard a few years ago. A young neo-hippie was giving his date/girlfriend a hard time about her Starbucks coffee she was drinking, calling it "her corporate coffee", and basically just being a boob."

I don't know how that relates to what I have said, but ok.

#15573 - 12/06/08 01:26 AM Re: Tipping? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Dherrick Offline
stranger

In my own experience tipping is purely based on the quality of the service and if you are statisfied at the end of your meal.
If you go into some little place and get some douchebag of a waiter, he takes forever and is just an obnoxious sob then don't tip. Why would you? He doesn't deserve it, screw him. On the other hand you get an nice one they joke with you, there prompt, and don't give you that "what the hell do you want" look then I see no reason not to tip. I personally tip between 20 to 30 percent, but thats only if I enjoyed my meal.

#15586 - 12/06/08 05:36 AM Re: Tipping? [Re: Dherrick]
Picunnus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I usually tip about 20% if I'm pleased. My grandmother started waitressing at 13 in 1925, and she took tipping seriously. She taught me that it's not just something to do if they don't deserve it. She always said even if you just have coffee and your bill is 96 cents, you should never leave less than a dollar per person at your table if the service was good. If the service was good, that's time they took away from their more lucrative tables to tend to you - and that's worth at least a dollar.

#15631 - 12/06/08 05:09 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: Picunnus]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Its weird, last night I went out to eat at this club.
BB Kings in nyc, I was killing time before a show.
They added on an automatic tip to my bill.
I never saw that done on bills with parties of less than 5.
It was just me, and I was kinda annoyed by it.
There was no note in the menu, just an added service charge on the bottom of the bill. If I wasn't paying attention, she would have been doubled tipped.
It was actually less than what I was going to tip, but I was so annoyed by it that I asked the hostess about it.

Fucking tourists probably didnt tip, and they just made it a manditory add on.

I still not happy about that, but mostly because I have been there a bunch of times and only noticed it last night.
It just felt kinda shady.

Morgan

#15632 - 12/06/08 05:16 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: Morgan]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Yeah, that's not cool. You should take it up with the manager, at least find out why they started doing that, and ask if they can leave it off next time you're there. Show them your license, proves you're a native

#107359 - 06/28/16 03:44 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
antikarmatomic Offline
BANNED
stalker

Loc: El Mundo
 Quote:
I just wondered how the people here felt about tipping waiters/waitresses. It seems to me that they are doing their job, which they already get paid for so I don't tip.
It's just one of those quirky social customs like washing your hands after you pee. It's not as if I'm opening doors to public places with my donker. Anyone who's actually thought about this for more than three seconds would realize that, unless they routinely piss on their hands while making tinkles, it just plain makes more sense to wash your hands prior to doing so but whatever: it is what it is.

Do I tip? Sure; where culturally appropriate. Is it weird? Yeah, man, if you think about it is is weird absofuckinglutely. I just deal with it like I deal with income tax. I never see that money anyway, so for 364 days a year I just treat it as a tax my employer pays uncle Sam for employing me specifically for some bizarre reason. One day out of the year I spend figuring out ways to get some of that re-directed into my pocket, and even then I'm not too hung-about about it being an interest free-loan to the government. I only care about my net income at the end of the day. Conversely, but for the same reasons, I only care about what the bill plus tip amounts to. What it says on paper is just hypothetical weirdness that doesn't translate to the bottom line at all. Acceptance is often more a matter of fatigue than anything else.

Pick your battles. If that's a battle you have the wherewithal to fight - more power to you. I can't fault you for being right.

#107386 - 06/30/16 11:09 PM Re: Tipping? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
AJ666 Offline
lurker

Loc: New Mexico
I have personally worked as a waiter for many years. I can tell you waiter/waitresses are severely underpaid. However, this doesn't mean you should go out of your way to tip them. They should earn their keep. If you think your server did a good job, then give them a generous (or extraordinary) tip. $5 is a generous tip. If you feel like you were ignored, or put off, then by all means leave them a substandard tip or no tip at all. There are plenty of times where I have unintentionally ignored tabled or forgotten/failed to meet their requests and I deserved what came to me thereafter. Also be aware that in a group of 6 or more (sometimes 5) the gratuity is automatically added onto the bill so read your bill before you actually pay it. The moral of my post is, if you enjoyed your service then please tip your server justly... It's not an easy job.
Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.097 seconds of which 0.073 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.