Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#2900 - 12/24/07 02:44 PM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: ]
Soluna666 Offline
stranger

Loc: Canada
What's an Epicurian Atheist?
#2904 - 12/24/07 03:48 PM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: Soluna666]
hellbent666
Unregistered

ep·i·cu·re·an
–adjective
1. fond of or adapted to luxury or indulgence in sensual pleasures; having luxurious tastes or habits, esp. in eating and drinking.
2. fit for an epicure: epicurean delicacies.
3. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Epicurus or Epicureanism.
–noun 4. an epicure.
5. a disciple of Epicurus.

This is just what Dictioanry.com says it is. So I'm gathering from the definition that it's basically meaning indulgent with fine tastes. Also dedicating ones life to the pursuit of luxury and pleasure.

Any interview with HP Peter H. Gilmore will have this reference in it to Epicureanism. This is how he describes "us" (LaVeyan Satanists).

#2906 - 12/24/07 04:46 PM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: ]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
http://www.churchoftheepical.org

My friend who runs that site would find it amusing that Peter describes Satanist as such.

Morgan

#2907 - 12/24/07 04:51 PM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: ]
JustExtreme Offline
stranger

In reply to the title of your post I must say no as through my experiences of LaVeyan Satanism nothing appears to be struck out as impossible, and even if it isn't the "god" of the bible that there is a possibility accepted of it dosen't matter because it depends on the Satanist's individual and personal view. LaVeyan Satanism is more of an Agnostic viewpoint although it does definately seem to lean towards no god although never sets this in stone. Put straight, LaVeyan Satanism in my view says that whether there is a "god" or not is irrelevant and what is here and now is what matters, and in accordance with here and now, the Satanist is his/her own master and controls himself/herself, no deity holds an important position, the rituals and all the symolism are just metaphors designed to invoke feeling and emotion for the purpose of the Satanist.
#2912 - 12/24/07 08:26 PM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: ]
Soluna666 Offline
stranger

Thanks for the def. Hellbent666.
#2916 - 12/25/07 03:45 AM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: ]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Then, is it a "religion", really?

#2917 - 12/25/07 04:00 AM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: daevid777]
JustExtreme Offline
stranger

daevid77 id say it was more a philosophy than a religion, it just uses metaphors and imagery a lot which seems to confuse the weak minded and the stupid.
#2918 - 12/25/07 04:27 AM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: JustExtreme]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Hello JustExtreme,

You missed a "7", but I'll forgive you, this time.

It seems you know something, so do tell... is this just "Atheism" with a kick? Then why, oh why, choose Satan, as a focal point in this Atheism?

#2919 - 12/25/07 04:49 AM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: daevid777]
JustExtreme Offline
stranger

Apologies lol im currently celebrating xmas with my family and have had quite a bit of alcohol \:D

There are a few reasons why satan is the focal point:

Satan used to be a pretty damn shocking word/image/thing/symbol when the Modern sort of Satanism first revealed itself so I'd say one of the reasons is probably just shock tactics to keep away the weak minded.

Dark imagery and symbolism, including that of Satan and all the other infernal names, just because of its common "taboo" and "forbidden" position in society seems to be much more effective in conjouring up emotion and delivering ones own will than imagery of a "god" greater than oneself. Satan is used to represent the core values of humanity that are portrayed as sin in most other religions and the value and preservation of the self.

Basically any form of imagery or symbolism can be used by a Satanist, they take the "rituals" and "processes" of other religions or belief systems and forge them into a tool that can be used for their own benefit, its all about individual preference as different imagery invokes emotion in different ways in different people.

As for the rituals in Satanism, the Satanist never actually believes that he is invoking the actual Satan and always has in his/her mind that all he/she is doing is using material and imagery to stimulate his/her own emotions in order to, in one way or another, carry out their true will as obviously emotions have an effect on our subconsious.

Well, I probably haven't completely answered your question and have probably veered off in several directions but I hope it helps and also, feel free to ask me anything else that comes to mind.

Hail Satan = Hail Thyself

Edited by JustExtreme (12/25/07 04:50 AM)

#2932 - 12/26/07 02:33 PM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: Glanecia]
Euronymous Offline
stranger

Loc: san diego, ca
You know, I remember chatting extensively with Ballbreaker on this issue. We both came to the conclusion that describing a "LaVeyan" Satanist as an Atheist is really not accurate. In the eyes of Christians, no doubt, *We* are Atheists, because *We* refuse to accept the Judeo-Christian version of God. However, *We* also recognize the fact that there is a Cosmic force of nature that acts as an equalizer within the Ifinite Universe. However this force does not intervene in the everyday lives of Man. That is how I see it. Furthermore, Satan to me is strictly symbolic of the Nine Satanic Statements and the Hidden Forces of the mind and life in general, and it is this Hidden Force of Nature that when tapped into can be utilized for personal benefit. I also know that there is a direct link between this Force and our subconscious mind. Above all, I firmly believe that my mind Itself will always be God. Anyways, Ballbreaker and I came to concur that the only things seperating an Atheist from a Satanist were Ritual, Symbolism, and Dogma.

Edited by Euronymous (12/26/07 02:38 PM)

#2943 - 12/26/07 11:14 PM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: ]
Raven Offline
stranger

God is just a word dervied from language built amongst words for better communication and comphresive undestanding amongst humanity, we give so many titles nowadays its a wonder most of us are critics of this phenomeneon. God, a supreme being or force, it is interesting that if we stripped the titled of god and question the existence of a force, being would mean a living thing and the highest level of life would be earth which leads to right hand paths including paganism/etc. When in general we should understand if there is a force the reason why you and me still breath, why for countless centuries humanity has gone through a endless search to find out the truth and in the end the only find shortcomings and take the rest for granite like doing a world tour and only visiting one country and denying the rest of the world as whole other than were they've been (if you can understand this). I believe we should break down and factor what others including ourselves believe and find common denominators and perhaps then we can find the truth but this will never happen b/c human arrogance and pride has blinded most of humanity and peace will never be adjurned and it is our curse to bear this era of living.
#2981 - 12/28/07 04:23 PM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: ]
Zakary Offline
pledge

Hmmm..... I love this topic! I must say I really don't know where the CoS are coming from sometimes? Have your cake and eat it to I think!
The CoS are not unlike any other religious institution, with its orthodoxy and stances.
However, as far as LaVey is concerned I think he outlined concepts in the S.B. and not orthodoxies.
To me Satanism is a variety of things.
1. the disbelief in the god of mainstream religion.
2. the recognition that man is in fact just another animal.
3. the awareness that there are forces within nature that can be harnessed by ritual, and other methods of manipulating the physical realm.
Magic and ritual allow internal and external forces to connect.
To me there is no separation between external and internal dark forces. I am a product of the universe and the universe is a product of me.

#3051 - 01/01/08 12:44 AM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: Glanecia]
Ordellani Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
What's "LaVeyan Satanism"? Never heard of this before.

Huddle with the sheep, kiddo.

#3052 - 01/01/08 01:38 AM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: Ordellani]
rob_church Offline

Loc: alberta , canada
how orgiginal a quote their mathew where have i heard that befor and befor and befor think of a new fucking catch phrase at least, ahh scicne you have shown your face i saw the site looks like a blog to me not the company you claimed it to be child where is this?

(Nice attempt to besmirch my name and the companies. Perhaps you could send that to our executive Head Programmers office in London, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

As far as I can see from your site, you have pseudo-artistic "templates" that look like they've been designed by a minor. Your art is ridiculous, and your petty character-attacks will and have accomplished you nothing.

I'm currently switching the servers for our site, and putting the portfolio up. I assure you, once you see the designs we've done, and who for, you'll fade back into obscurity once again.

Try again. )

still wating for your art and the so called company work so i can fade back into obscurty mr ceo, ah yes and i attacked your chachter beacuse you are a fraud when you need to lie aobut your achomplishments this tells me you are unhappy about your life and where you are ,and this to me is far from satanic i on the other hand am who i claim to be, so i leave you with this thought child, show me the work you claim mr ceo and stop using the same fucking lines besmirching, fuck when i was looking up your so called comapny on google all i had to do follow the besmirching comment and that exact phrase huddle with the sheep and no sign of your company other then at self help do it for free websites where your spewing the same banter that you have exebited here.memorize a few big words their child?

if any other 600 club memeber want a good laugh look up ordellani also self professed warlock of the Church of Satan or satanslitteone on myspace in google the amount of besmirching and huddle with the sheep is quite humours never mind that fact that you are ceo of fuck all.need a title mutch?

programers in london hA!!fucking poser the worst sort of sheep.
and you have the motherfucking nerve to try to insult my art and sucess when you have nothing your self and need to lie aobut it fuck you.

#3092 - 01/02/08 03:19 PM Re: Are "LaVeyan" Satanists atheists? - My Thoughts [Re: Ordellani]
Soluna666 Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Ordellani
What's "LaVeyan Satanism"? Never heard of this before.

Huddle with the sheep, kiddo.

From what I've gathered it is one who attempts to live according to the exact precepts laid out in the Satanic Bible, ie. the gospel according to Anton.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.