Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#15874 - 12/10/08 10:22 AM Teaching Mathematics Today
Meq Offline
Banned

Got this in my email today, and thought it was actually worth sharing here.
(N.B. This is in UK English - mathematics is 'maths' not 'math' in the UK, a 'truck' is a 'lorry', and prices are in Pound Sterling. You may need to install the appropriate font to read the last exercise!)

1. Teaching Maths In 1970
A logger sells a lorry load of timber for 1000.
His cost of production is 4/5 of the selling price.
What is his profit?

2. Teaching Maths In 1980
His cost of production is 4/5 of the selling price, or 800.
What is his profit?

3. Teaching Maths In 1990
His cost of production is 800.
Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Maths In 2000
His cost of production is 800 and his profit is 200.
Your assignment: Underline the number 200.

5. Teaching Maths In 2008
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is totally selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands.
He does this so he can make a profit of 200. What do you think of this way of making a living?
Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes?
(There are no wrong answers.
If you are upset about the plight of the animals in question counselling will be available)

6. Teaching Maths 2018
أ المسجل تبيع حموله شاحنة من الخشب من دولار. صاحب تكلفة الانتاج من الثمن. ما هو الربح له؟

#18917 - 01/25/09 06:17 PM Re: Teaching Mathematics Today [Re: Meq]
Marilyn Offline
stranger

HAHAHA

i actually find that shocking yet amusing. because it has been anounced the in the UK they are now to introduce arabic lessons along side muslim and islamic teaching too.

i ask my self what has the UK come to?

they even created a islamin law system.

a mate of mine back in the UK over christmas, and to decorate his house he had the a St George's flag hanging out side.

to his amazement, within 24hours the city councile was there telling him to remove it as it is cause an offence to the people living in the street.
He was horrorfied that the muslim neighbours had handed in 6 complaints, and had caused an uproar about it, claiming it is provocative towards them.

his attitude to wards it was, if they wish to live in england, then they should addapt that there still people that are proud to be british.

-Marilyn

HS!

#18984 - 01/26/09 02:25 PM Re: Teaching Mathematics Today [Re: Asmedious]
Meq Offline
Banned

St George's flag - England (sometimes includes Wales)
St Andrew's Flag - Scotland
St Patrick's Flag - (Northern) Ireland
Union Jack - United Kingdom

The St George flag is normally used as a sign of specifically English patriotism.
I do wonder why Muslims would find it so 'offensive', especially if they choose to live in the country it represents.

If an Englishman complained about his neighbour's Islamic flag, he would be deemed intolerant. Quite peculiar double standards really.

I wonder what the response would be if he complained about his neighbour's burqa?

#18987 - 01/26/09 02:49 PM Re: Teaching Mathematics Today [Re: Meq]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
It seems to me, that most often the ones complaining about intolerance, are the most guilty of it.

Regarding the original subject, I wonder if a person in a country could be fined for flying the countries flag, if someone (muslims) complained and the "offender" refused to remove it.

Something like that would make me want to use up my savings and buy flags for all of my neighbors, and give them out as gifts.

Edited by Asmedious (01/26/09 02:50 PM)

#18988 - 01/26/09 02:55 PM Re: Teaching Mathematics Today [Re: Asmedious]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I'm not into flags and patriotism but down here, if one puts up the Flemish flag, one is almost automatically defined as a right-wing nationalist. It's funny, about a century ago the Flemish were struggling to get their rights in a French-dominant nation and now that they're about the most important group here, one should be ashamed of being one.

D.

#18990 - 01/26/09 03:20 PM Re: Teaching Mathematics Today [Re: Asmedious]
Meq Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: Asmedious
It seems to me, that most often the ones complaining about intolerance, are the most guilty of it.

That's projection at work for you.

I still laugh when I remember the protest banners saying:
"Behead those who say Islam is a violent religion!"

Not the best kind of P.R. methinks...

#19129 - 01/27/09 04:14 PM Re: Teaching Mathematics Today [Re: Meq]
Marilyn Offline
stranger

too me it seems strange,
it would be like me moving to china and requesting my neighbour to take down his chinese flag because it offends me.
i am shure they would laugh and tell me to poke that idea were the western sun dont shine..

but going back to my mate. to this day he is amazed and shocked that he got reported by someone who is not even from the UK, for having your national flag up.
that shows what the UK has come to..... without being nasty

HS!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.