Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#16123 - 12/13/08 12:54 PM Survival of the fittest!
Meq Offline
Banned

Not all sharks need to wait until birth before hunting.

#16124 - 12/13/08 01:38 PM Re: Survival of the fittest! [Re: Meq]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

That's pretty damn impressive compared to our ratrace to the finish. I knew that certain species compete for survival after birth but the womb as a slaughterhouse is new for me.

D.

#16136 - 12/13/08 03:57 PM Re: Survival of the fittest! [Re: Diavolo]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Humans should really follow suit. Solve hunger and overpopulation in one fell swoop!

#16138 - 12/13/08 04:20 PM Re: Survival of the fittest! [Re: Dan_Dread]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

That was really interesting. I have always been fascinated by sharks. Shark Week is one of my favorite things on television, I watch it every year but never learned about that. Indeed if humans practiced canabilism overpopulation and hunger might cease to be a problem. Soylent Green, here we come.

#16178 - 12/14/08 05:56 PM Extraordinary Animals In The Womb [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Meq Offline
Banned

This clip was taken from 'Extraordinary Animals In The Womb', aired on Channel 4 in the UK on October 20th, and a joint project with the UK's National Geographic Channel.

Some have criticized it for being a sensationalist and voyeuristic freak show, but I found it thoroughly fascinating, informative and entertaining.
This film also covers other sharks, penguins, kangaroos and (pretty revolting) parasitic wasps.
It ends with Darwin's conclusion that the amorality of nature rules out a benevolent creator (i.e. God), and instead suggests a blind process of natural selection.

In my view, very much a 'must see'.

I'm not sure if/when it will be aired in the States or elsewhere in the world.
In the meantime, there are a few clips on YouTube, and you may still be able to find the entire documentary out in the wild somewhere (good luck - the torrents seem to have run dry now - but luckily after it's second airing in the UK in March '09... ;\) )

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.017 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.