Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#16182 - 12/14/08 06:45 PM If you could, would you?
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
If there was a road that lead to eternal life, would you take it?

#16184 - 12/14/08 06:56 PM Re: If you could, would you? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I've already thought about this subject, and unless certain conditions were met, than I'd say no. No eternal life for me.

The conditions that would have to be met are:

-My friends and family would also have to live as long (or longer) than me. I don't think I could live for millennia and watch them die, one after one, and I'd be the only one left.

-Pets would also have to have extended lives. I love having them, and for me to have a longer life and theirs stay the same, would be as devastating as friends and family only living to be 80.

-There would have to be some kind of neural regeneration every century or so. Otherwise, I'd start forgetting things, and eventually life would become pointless. If I couldn't remember what happened to me 10 years ago, I think that would be pretty awful.

If anyone's ever read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy, you'll already know where I'm coming from on some of these points. The first 100 settlers from Earth to Mars are a group of scientists and engineers. A fellow physicist discovers an anti-aging chemical that only has to be retaken every decade. The con is that everyone starts to forget once-important details and memories, and it leads to terrible cases of depression. The few original settlers that are left at the end of the books have decided to stop taking the chemical so they can die naturally.

#16185 - 12/14/08 07:14 PM Re: If you could, would you? [Re: Nemesis]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Watch the video. All of your concerns are addressed.

I really hope he gets his funding \:\)

#16222 - 12/15/08 04:08 PM Re: If you could, would you? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I read an interview with the dude a couple of months or so ago. Much of what he says sounds reasonable but it all depends on that first breakthrough. And even according his predictions, we're probably fucked anyways.

Anti-aging is big business and there is a lot of cash to be gained from it. If it is possible at one point, don't expect the poor to get 100. And we'll probably have to work up to 140 to be able to pay for our expansion to 150.
No matter how charming the idea is, I do not see much charm in being 150 or so. What are you gonna do? Get laid by that pretty 120 year old chick? Walk in the park for a zillion times, feeding the ducks?

D.

#16245 - 12/15/08 09:36 PM Re: If you could, would you? [Re: Dan_Dread]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Simply another technology that was and will continue to be put off due to peoples religious short comings...

Yes I happen to have enjoyed myself here so far and I am sure that if I were able to cheat death I would... As long as that would not mean sitting old and feeble... I find it hard to believe any Satanist would say different...

More time would mean more answers and more understanding... How could anyone of us sat we would turn that down?

~T~

#16248 - 12/15/08 10:06 PM Re: If you could, would you? [Re: ta2zz]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

The way that DeGrey describes the technology it seems quite feasible. Unlikely that someone of my age will benefit from it. Unlikely,but possible. I do things that are considered by others to be unlikely yet possible all the time.

If he gets started with serious research within 15 years, by his estimation, I am still young enough to reach 'escape velocity'. I think it would be irresponsible to the world to not try to keep me in it as long as possible. After all, when I die the world blinks out of existence. You don't want to blink out of existence do you? I didn't think so.

Would I if I could? Fuck ya. Since the technology involves stopping pathology in its tracks, the body would not ever suffer from the problems of 'old age' brought on by that pathology. Essentially, eternal youth. Imagine how good I could get at, well, everything, with an indefinite lifespan. I'm thinking with a few hundred years of practice I could even outbullshit Jake and Diavolo. Imagine the possibilities! \:\) \:\)

I could not imagine , as Ta2zz said, a person that has truly deified himself embracing death, if an alternative existed.

"Life is the one great indulgence; death the one great abstinence. To a person who is
satisfied with his earthly existence, life is like a party; and no one likes to leave a good
party."

#16511 - 12/19/08 05:24 AM Re: If you could, would you? [Re: Dan_Dread]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
You like your '69 Camaro? You can still drive it?

I want a heavily stocked freezer of my own stem-cell created hearts, lungs, kidneys, liver and onions...

Money sucks. I mean when you don't have it. Magic Johnson is going to live to 120 with AIDS.

This science is not "far-fetched" in any way whatsoever, its just a matter of doing it.

Anything contrary, I would imagine a global conspiracy. And that is certainly not far-fetched.

Scientists have tried their best, and cannot refute what he says as potentially possible.

#16512 - 12/19/08 05:28 AM Re: If you could, would you? [Re: daevid777]
daevid777 Offline

I've read about this before, unfortunately, I'm passed the point of actually caring about this... possibly for my children, if they'd want it. I have no doubt that science could find a way, if it were actually permitted to do so.

Edited by daevid777 (12/19/08 05:29 AM)

#16513 - 12/19/08 05:33 AM Re: If you could, would you? [Re: daevid777]
daevid777 Offline

By the way, Jake and Diavolo would also gain in knowledge... perhaps you could never learn to out-bullshit them... let's just be happy with what we got.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.