Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1695 - 11/10/07 05:30 PM Food and Drink Forum?
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Someone asked me about this so here is goes...

What about a Food and Drink Forum?

Some possible topics:

Favorite Recipes
Favorite Drink
High End Spirits
Best place to eat in your area
Favorite Bar
BBQ (could need to be it's own forum)
The fat vegan
Bourbon - the other white meat
Meat as a vegetable
Satan Burps
Wine only a Priest could love
Cigars - they aren't just for blunts!

Well, you get the idea. Anyone care to second the motion?

#1699 - 11/10/07 05:56 PM Caribbean Bread with Rum [Re: Fist]
Meq Offline
Banned

Apologies for double-posting, but I thought I'd save the mods some time and compile all my info on the recipe I discussed earlier on the forum into a single post in the applicable thread.

So:

Here is a recipe you can try for yourself:
(From: http://www.recipesfrombahamas.com/arubanpanbati.cfm )

Aruban Pan Bati Recipe

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups flour
1 cup corn flour
2 tbs baking powder
pinch of salt
sugar to taste
1 egg
1 3/4 cup milk
vanilla to taste

METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
Mix in bowl flour, corn flour, baking pwder, salt and sugar. Add vanilla, then egg and milk, alternately. Batter the mixture until it becomes smooth (approx. 25 min) . If it is not smooth enough add a little water gradually until it smoothens. Like pancakes, put the mixture on a greased pan and turn the pan bati upside down when the downside is brown or dry.

My additional comments:

Use yellow cornflour (the tropical variety is more authentic; but if you cannot find it, Polenta will suffice).
The egg can be skipped if so desired, as can the vanilla.

Add in a dash of rum while beating the dough (and any other preferable ingredients).
It takes ages to make, but is worth it. \:D

Don't go for corn starch, use yellow corn flour (the most common yellow corn flour in Europe is polenta, a Mediterranean rather than Caribbean variety: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/glossary/p.shtml?polenta )

For the full experience, find a supplier of tropical yellow cornmeal.

This is mixed with wheat flour in pan bati (which incidentally means 'beaten bread' in the Aruban native tongue).

Quoting Nemesis: "The recipe says to make them like pancakes--so I'm assuming pour the batter in a greased pan on the stove, brown both sides, and taaa daaa?"

Yes.
It is normally done with a LOT of cooking oil, a shocking amount when I saw my Caribbean friends make it.
My tastes are for less oil (judge according to taste), but it helps to make it flatter if less oil is desired (not flat like a pancake though).

It also needs to cook for longer than pancakes on a low-ish heat, to ensure the bread is cooked right through (but without burning it).

It can be eaten on its own, with a little butter and possibly toppings and/or spreads, or sliced and put in soup (like Arubans do in place of croutons).
It is best eaten while still hot (though not mouth-burningly so).

To quote Nemesis: "That sounds delicious, and a seemingly simple recipe...."

This and related recipes may have a Jewish influence.
As with the Jews in Eastern Europe, simple recipes started in poor Jewish communities in the Caribbean first became a staple diet of the peasants, and then became a delicacy enjoyed by all social classes.
Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say.

But I don't really care too much for a possible Jewish influence when I'm enjoying this bread with two crisp rashers of bacon \:\/

I don't know how many people add rum, but I'm sure it's popular. I might be tempted to add freshly squeezed pineapple juice and coconut milk for a pina colada bread \:D

Enjoy!

P.S.
Not that I'd dare advocate anything illegal - but any optional herbal ingredients are best ground or broken up very finely...

Edited by Paula (11/10/07 06:11 PM)
Edit Reason: Stylised

#1700 - 11/10/07 06:01 PM Re: Food and Drink Forum? [Re: Fist]
Meq Offline
Banned

In case the server I linked to has any problems... I included the linked recipe in its entirety.
(But I'd recommend reading my comments after this and before cooking, I've had a bit of experience cooking this :D)

#1703 - 11/10/07 06:43 PM Re: Food and Drink Forum? [Re: Fist]
Meq Offline
Banned

Perhaps this thread could be moved to General Conversation and serve as the food and drink cornerstone of the new 600 Club?

Just a suggestion \:D

#1710 - 11/10/07 08:09 PM Re: Food and Drink Forum? [Re: Fist]
Meq Offline
Banned

Wow, better still - an entire forum devoted to food and drink from a Satanic perspective \:\/
#1714 - 11/10/07 08:26 PM Re: Caribbean Bread with Rum [Re: Meq]
SSSnake Offline
pledge

Loc: PA. U.S.A.
Boy that sounds good especially with rum and special herb
of the mary jane type....how long you cook it?

#1715 - 11/10/07 08:46 PM Re: Caribbean Bread with Rum [Re: SSSnake]
Meq Offline
Banned

It would be best to reply to this recipe on its new thread:
http://www.the600club.com/dir/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1711

As for cooking times - I'll have to try it for myself and report

Just allow them to brown on both sides, giving enough time for the heat to reach the centre (I recommend a low-ish heat).
(This I already wrote though)

Edited by Paula (11/10/07 08:51 PM)
Edit Reason: Extra comment

#1905 - 11/14/07 06:41 PM Re: Caribbean Bread with Rum [Re: Meq]
SSSnake Offline
pledge

Loc: PA. U.S.A.
\:D Thank you I will try to stay on track sounds good!!!!!!
love it D.L.B. ;\)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.