Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3719 - 01/28/08 03:24 AM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: Meq]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
I found it interesting personally and could relate to the points that where made in the conversation but I was already approaching it with a sense of humor and low expectations of any serious meaning because it was clearly connected to religion which I feel has far to much standing in todays society which it clearly doesn't deserve.

It's not a great thought provoking work but it's not entirely without merit. Those that don't want to mock religion of see it as immature and of little value confound me. Why not mock religion and act immature in a controlled manner like this, it is at the very least an outlet for our feelings and thoughts but perhaps this topic should have been placed in the General Discussions area after all.

#3720 - 01/28/08 10:15 AM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: Meq]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
 Originally Posted By: Mequa
As for the dialogue.... actually, it was originally between 'A' and 'B' (as is not unknown in academic philosophy).
What you object to so vehemently is a last-minute 'replace all' job.
If you really don't like the names - just copy the dialogue into your favorite word processor and replace them.

Then the real question should be this… What did you expect to gain by changing the names to Jesus and Satan?

To some it would seem you might have done this to try to make this piece more popular on this site, to fit it in… When you have to wrap something to sell it chances are that “it” is fairly worthless… Some of the best gifts come in the plainest wrappings…

To me this rushed wrapping to sell it to us, is reason enough to skip over this piece…

J.M.H.O.

Peace

~T~

#5297 - 03/11/08 02:12 PM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: ta2zz]
TheMask Offline

I thought that it was a fucking great piece you wrote there. Highly interesting and very intelligently written. One could think thats actually Jesus himself talking.

I dont get all the criticism youre getting but i for one liked it alot. It obviously took skill to write this.

Originally Posted By: Bridgett Leavitt
To make this real simple for ya, i don't publicly exploit my Santanistic nature.

Santa...?

#5367 - 03/12/08 09:04 AM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: TheMask]
TornadoCreator Offline

Aaah yes, Santa, or Diet-God as I like to call him.

A guy with a big beard who watches over you, sees everthing you do, decides if you are a good person, rewards those who are good, punishes those who are not... if it's presents or coal it's Santa, if it's heaven or eternal torture it's God... Santa is clearly much more forgiving.

#5370 - 03/12/08 09:23 AM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: TornadoCreator]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: TornadoCreator
Aaah yes, Santa, or Diet-God as I like to call him.

A guy with a big beard who watches over you, sees everthing you do, decides if you are a good person, rewards those who are good, punishes those who are not... if it's presents or coal it's Santa, if it's heaven or eternal torture it's God... Santa is clearly much more forgiving.

Santa and God also has this in common:
The older and smarter we get, the more we question, the more we realize Santa was fake, just an invention to keep us good little people. But unfortunately there is still something beautiful about christmas season.

Then there are people who believe elves are real, or were real.

Edited by LUCIFERIFIC (03/12/08 09:24 AM)

~~352~~

#5371 - 03/12/08 10:26 AM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
TheMask Offline

Very interesting comparison, i havent noticed that much before.
#5603 - 03/14/08 07:15 AM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: TheMask]
TornadoCreator Offline

It's a common Atheist comparison that has spread recently, particually on YouTube.

#6167 - 03/22/08 02:22 AM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: TornadoCreator]
rubaestellae Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
I've always found the Socratic Dialogue style of philosophical writing interesting - though Socrates never really pushed my buttons. Sure I can see why people may get upset with the whole Jesus/Satan conversation, but I wouldnt not read it just because it had the word Jesus in it.
That being said maybe next time instead use Patriarch/Adversary or something like that :).

#6357 - 03/25/08 10:26 AM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: rubaestellae]
Kon Offline
pledge

Loc: Berlin, Germany
The piece was good, interesting and humorous.
As far as anecdotal Satanism and Xtian philosophy are concerned, I draw conclusively that the piece is far less educational or mind opening. The euphemisms, characters, philosophic stands, derogatory will, and overall grammar were mediocre expressions at best. Unless I know the author, it takes far more education and a lot less emotion to create something of philosophic nature which would make me think they had a breath of wisdom in them.

I'd say it was a well rounded mad lib, the authors intent was to be taken humorously, though average even so.

#9028 - 05/25/08 09:16 PM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: Euronymous]
VictorGrigorii Offline
stranger

Loc: Sarasota, FL
You present Jesus as a moronic, mystic hippy, and rightfully so. But at one point you presented Satan as an irrational Attilla the Hun, that particular point being the matter of acts of violence or force perpetrated against others for one's own benefit. How evil is it if it benefits the individual? WHICH individual? To be concerned for your own interests is one thing, but at the expense of another individual? This is a little cloudy for me. I have studied Rand extensively, and she would resent strongly being combined with the likes of Nietzsche and Hume. As for the WWJD comment, I got a little hotheaded over this point on Legion for Satan (I never knew Christianity was so important to Satanism that entire threads need be devoted to bashing it in order to maintain activity). Good point, BUT think of this; if you didn't care about what Jesus thought or what Christians thought, would you adopt the name of Christ's adversary as the name of your chosen path? YOu can go on forever about how Satan is actually pre-Christian in the sense of all of pre-christianity's gods being demonized, etc, etc. But the fact is this; the specific character called Satan is the Hebrew bad guy, and therefore is Christ's adversary, not detached from Christianity. Therefore, Christianity is going to come into play at one time or another. All in all, though, good piece, very provocative and very enjoyable.
#10591 - 08/10/08 11:33 PM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: rubaestellae]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
 Originally Posted By: rubaestellae

That being said maybe next time instead use Patriarch/Adversary or something like that :).

"Adversary?" You mean "Satan"? So it's The Adversary versus The Adversary!

That would get confusing real fast.

#11176 - 09/03/08 05:32 AM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: Euronymous]
morgoth Offline
stranger

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Loved it. Insightful and entertaining. Well written piece.
#11637 - 09/20/08 06:30 AM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: Octavius]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
 Originally Posted By: Octavius

What I object to is the caricaturization of Christ and Satan to suit the author's needs. This is fine for fiction, but hardly belongs in a serious forum discussing philosophy.

I agree with Octavius. This dialogue isn't how I imagine this conversation would go at all. And the jesus character seems to have been designed to fail.

As for Plato, sure I guess you can call Plato's dialogues philosophy, but they're piss. Plato constructed Socrates' opponents to fail. And when all the questions of the socratic method are yes or no, it's so easy to win. he's leading his opponent to fail. A simple yes or no is not suitable for most questions in philosophy. And notice how plato's own ideas in the books are not given the same scrutiny.

The post was an interesting idea. I think it would be more interesting if a satanist wrote satan's lines and a christian wrote jesus' lines.

#11667 - 09/20/08 07:07 PM Re: A Dialogue between Jesus and Satan [Re: coelentrate]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
And the same applies even if it weren't really written with the charachters of jesus and satan in mind.
Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 27 queries. Zlib compression disabled.