Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#17065 - 12/28/08 01:18 PM Calling all geeks
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
When it comes to technical things, I am way behind the times. Bordering on retarded. I have 2 questions.

1. Using my laptop, which is only a few months old, could I take a video from youtube and play it on my tv? I don't see and svid port on my laptop, but I do have the usb ports. My tv is a few years old, but it does have all the rca jacks and an svid jack. What about routing it through my DVR? If you need more info, just holler.

2. This laptop came with Vista. It included a trial version of Microsoft Works. The trail period has expired and it is now asking me to either buy it or register it. I can't find any code to use to register it. I also can't access and make changes to any of the documents I used it to create. This is very frustating, as the only word document I can use now is Microsoft Word Processor. Many sites won't let me upload that type of document. Any suggestions of freeware that I could download and use that would be widely accepted? How do I get around buying Works? It's frustrating trying to upload my resume and not being able to. Need more info, pm me. Thanks.

#17068 - 12/28/08 02:04 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: fakepropht]
Disabuse Offline

Originally Posted By: fakepropht
1. Using my laptop, which is only a few months old, could I take a video from youtube and play it on my tv? I don't see and svid port on my laptop, but I do have the usb ports. My tv is a few years old, but it does have all the rca jacks and an svid jack. What about routing it through my DVR? If you need more info, just holler.

Not with that laptop. If you don't have a sVideo jack, nor a USB slot, then I'm not sure you can. The only thing is a PCMIA tuner card, but that is for recording TV to your computer. I'm not sure if it outputs to the TV, but I think it would. I've not used them personally.

Originally Posted By: fakepropht
2. This laptop came with Vista. It included a trial version of Microsoft Works. The trail period has expired and it is now asking me to either buy it or register it. I can't find any code to use to register it. I also can't access and make changes to any of the documents I used it to create. This is very frustating, as the only word document I can use now is Microsoft Word Processor. Many sites won't let me upload that type of document. Any suggestions of freeware that I could download and use that would be widely accepted? How do I get around buying Works? It's frustrating trying to upload my resume and not being able to. Need more info, pm me. Thanks.

You can always try Open Office for an alternative.

#17074 - 12/28/08 02:28 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Disabuse]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I used to have a tuner card that did the s-vid out to the TV thing. The image quality is usually rather fuzzy. (maybe not if you are using a plasma, haven't tested it)

And as for the second question..open office is gold. Or you can always get a ripped version of works from a torrent, but that's not such a good solution if it is for work.

#17120 - 12/29/08 03:19 AM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Dan_Dread]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
If you have Microsoft Word... regarding the documents, that "should" be able to "translate" anything from the crappy trial version of MS Works...

If you don't have that... send me a PM. There are other solutions...

#17774 - 01/07/09 05:53 AM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: daevid777]
Fallon Offline
stranger

Loc: UK, Swindon
For the Vista problem, you can probably get a crack, from cracks.am

it may be on there it may not, hope this helps

#17783 - 01/07/09 12:58 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Fallon]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
 Originally Posted By: Fallon
For the Vista problem, you can probably get a crack, from cracks.am

it may be on there it may not, hope this helps

Vista was coded 'specially to prevent pirating. You'd have to jack around with the BIOS to change it and unless you're a TRUE GEEK (I'm not that geeky), it's a bad idea to try it.

#17793 - 01/07/09 08:56 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: ceruleansteel]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I've had nothing but virus-laden cracks from "crack only" sites. At least with torrent files, there tend to be comments left by other downloaders as to the quality of it, whether or not it's got mal/spyware embedded, or if it's missing files. It's not always reliable, but beats crack sites, imo. The more seeds and peers there are for torrent files, the better they tend to be.

Fakey, try downloading this http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4427442/Microsoft_Works_9_(OEM_Windows_XP_-_Vista)_[RH] (I'm assuming you have freeware like Vuze or Bitorrent). I'm downloading it myself right now, and if you want to wait, I'll let you know how it goes.

#17796 - 01/07/09 10:06 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Nemesis]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Egads you poor windows users.

If you have to do it, at least use XP. If someone is going to use vista voluntarily I can't feel bad for them. It's like stabbing yourself in the balls and then whining that it hurts. Well duh.

#17804 - 01/08/09 01:16 AM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Dan_Dread]
Disabuse Offline

Vista, for advanced users, is not bad at all. I don't have a single issue when I'm in Vista. After all the modding and tweaking I've done to it, I prefer it over XP for most things.

#17806 - 01/08/09 02:48 AM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Disabuse]
Meq Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: Disabuse
Vista, for advanced users, is not bad at all. I don't have a single issue when I'm in Vista. After all the modding and tweaking I've done to it, I prefer it over XP for most things.

I take it you are running Vista on a quad-core powerhouse with at least 4GB of RAM if that is your experience?

Vista is pretty vulnerable to viruses, especially from pirated software, which can easily reduce its performance to a crawl.
While antivirus software is pretty mandatory, it, somewhat like condoms, is not 100% effective.

If exploring the "lastest cracks" is your thing (which risk coming with the latest malware), I would recommend a virtualization solution - e.g. an install of XP on a hard-file (which is backed up) running under VMWare Workstation or (less recommended) MS Virtual PC.
That way, there is no risk to your main Windows installation, and it's easy to restore the virtualized OS to virus-free.
I'd still strongly recommend installing anti-virus software on the virtualized OS too - but beware of performance issues which may result.

VMWare is also a good way to run some Windows apps under Linux which aren't yet working in Wine. It is still no match for a native boot, however.

I'm also quite happy with my laptop's tri-boot Vista, XP Pro and Ubuntu installations (which all have VMWare to boot) - when I switch it on I at least get the option to choose.
I'm gonna need a new portable hard-drive soon though!

#17812 - 01/08/09 05:18 AM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Meq]
Disabuse Offline

Of course I am running Vista on a Core 2 Dou Extreme Quad Core with 4gigs or RAM. And I am not your typical user that gets viruses. I've not had a virus infection of any kind in my computer since 1996 that I didn't put there myself... ;\)

And I don't need VMWare. I have just about every operating system under the sun installed on it's own hard drive. Well, except Mac OS, bleh.

But yeah, if you're running Vista with anything less then a quad core and 4gigs of RAM, it will probably suck for you.

#17814 - 01/08/09 05:28 AM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Disabuse]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
 Originally Posted By: Disabuse

Yeah, but you shouldn't have to do all that shit just to have a freakin' computer.

Fuck Vista.

And for the record, I don't have it on purpose. And I had to learn how to "mod and tweak" mine just to get it to run autocad and get the fuck online.

I'll say it again: Fuck Vista.

#17848 - 01/08/09 06:56 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: ceruleansteel]
Butterz Offline
pledge

Loc: Georgia
I have had Vista for almost a year. AMD Turion64x2 whatever that is. I play world of warcraft, download movies and music, and I have just a simple anti-virus. So far so good. No problems and WAY faster then my dads' XP. I'm not sure what tweaking or moding is so im quite sure I haven't done it. The only upgrades I have are an external hard drive wich all I did was plug in via USB and it installed itself. Overall I like Vista.
#17849 - 01/08/09 07:01 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: fakepropht]
Butterz Offline
pledge

Loc: Georgia
You can buy a PC to TV cable on ebay for about $2. It converts your VGA to RCA. Just search "PC to TV" and they got hundreds of them.
#17854 - 01/08/09 09:27 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: ceruleansteel]
Disabuse Offline

And that would be your opinion.

It was horrible when it came out. SP1 fixed a lot of things, and believe it or not, if you have the computer, it runs everything faster then XP. That is not an opinion either.

To each their own. I personally don't mind it, and I haven't had a single issue with it.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.