Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#17860 - 01/08/09 11:32 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Disabuse]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Mine too. Fuck Vista.
I consider myself a pretty advanced computer user,and I still feel that way. Vista is a bloated resource hogging unstable piece of crap.

To it's credit it comes from a long line of bloated resource hogging unstable piece of crap operating systems. All the way back to windows 3.11 which was the last windows distribution to not use the crappy user/gdi/kernel computing model that we have come to love(?). It was also the last one to not use the 'windows registry' kernel. Whoever came up with the registry as a way of governing your operating system had an unusual sense of humor, or was was intent on keeping the technical support industry in work. At this point I suppose we will never know.

I do have a question. When you say Vista runs everything faster than xp, what do you mean? An operating system does not actually run software, it just provides an interface for it. The hardware and the way the software is written determine how fast it runs.

But I assume you already know that

So I will instead assume you mean that vista itself runs faster than xp itself, or that the hardware drivers for vista are more advanced than the hardware drivers for xp. In that case I agree to the second point but not the first..as xp takes far less resources to run it of course boots and runs faster.

Or did you mean something else entirely?

Don't get me wrong, though. Windows XP sucks too, just as 2000 and NT did before it. Give me any UNIX based ext3 OS over that ntfs crap any day. I do keep a copy but only because I WILL NEVER GROW UP when it comes to the latest and greatest video games, which alas are seldom ported to UNIX.

#17864 - 01/09/09 12:37 AM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Dan_Dread]
Disabuse Offline

My access times in Vista Ultimate versus XP Professional are faster on all levels. Then again, I have a $1000 processor and no hardware bottle-necking.

My applications load faster, my gaming runs smoother and I boot Vista faster then XP. Maybe my computer is the odd ball, but for me, Vista hasn't been an issue.

#17875 - 01/09/09 03:05 AM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Disabuse]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
I think you got lucky. Vista sucks ass. The "aero" look itself is a resource hog riddled with problems. When my friends call me telling me that their new computer is fucking up, the first thing I tell them is to switch to the classic look.

Vista is such a piece that "they" have already scrapped the operating system. I didn't have a tenth the problems with my old computer that I do with this one.

Of course your shit loads and runs faster, your processor is more advanced. But that doesn't mean Vista is better.

To repeat: Fuck Vista

#17889 - 01/09/09 10:09 AM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: ceruleansteel]
Picunnus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
"Fuck Vista"... I second that motion.

One of the more commonly heard expletives in my house is "Fuck Bill Gates! Fuck him in his mother fucking ass!" I hate my PC.

#17900 - 01/09/09 12:30 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Picunnus]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I have to agree with Disabuse, so far Vista hasn't given me any problems. As far as other systems go, well each new one is supposed to be an improvement on the last one. I really liked windows 98 and didnt want to upgrade, but I ended up upgrading and it was fine. Sometimes you just get comfortable with something and don't want to change or adapt to something new.

Morgan

#17904 - 01/09/09 04:04 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Morgan]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Quote:
As far as other systems go, well each new one is supposed to be an improvement on the last one.

It's true each windows operating system from 95/nt on was a variation or improvement on windows 95/NT. They finally merged into windows xp after windows millennium bombed hard.

Vista, though is said (by the Microsoft brass) to be built largely from the ground up. That means it's really not an improved xp, it's new. New code, new problems.

You should all just download linux and call it a day \:\) \:\)

#17913 - 01/09/09 07:08 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Dan_Dread]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I can't say I had much problems with any OS from 95 to XP. I didn't get Vista on this one, no need and such. All seems to work fine for me, besides Millennium in the past which I tried for about an hour or two before formatting.

The only thing I did change recently is switch to Firefox, I do hate parts of it but others are swell. Instant spell checking as an example.

D.

#18112 - 01/13/09 01:27 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: fakepropht]
rich Offline
lurker

Loc: UK
 Quote:
2. This laptop came with Vista. It included a trial version of Microsoft Works. The trail period has expired and it is now asking me to either buy it or register it. I can't find any code to use to register it. I also can't access and make changes to any of the documents I used it to create. This is very frustating, as the only word document I can use now is Microsoft Word Processor. Many sites won't let me upload that type of document. Any suggestions of freeware that I could download and use that would be widely accepted? How do I get around buying Works? It's frustrating trying to upload my resume and not being able to. Need more info, pm me. Thanks.

Have you looked at Google Documents at all? Depending on your needs it may be suitable. It offers import from and export to a variety of file formats. A possible issue could be that Google scans the content of your documents for use in personalised advertising-if any of the documents are, or need to be confidential it is probably not an option.

There is also Openoffice (I think someone suggested this earlier) and I believe that Abiword has a Windows version as well-although I am unsure if it actually supports the .doc or .docx file formats.

Rich

#19574 - 02/03/09 05:00 AM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Disabuse]
Fallon Offline
stranger

Loc: UK, Swindon
Again, with vista, if you have Windows Vista Home Edition, there is a small bug in the software.

When your trial ends, you can chose an option, where you can re-install again, it takes about 30 minutes, but you will have vista again for a month.

Remember to back-up all your data on an external hard-drive first, so you don't lose all your information and software, on the next installment.

#19638 - 02/04/09 01:15 PM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Fallon]
Sordid Archetype Offline
stranger

Loc: Long Island, NY
Just a little FYI for anyone using Vista.

Microsoft has official stated that due to the problems associated with Windows Vista, Vista's official end of life for Microsoft support will be in 2010 (after which time Vista will no longer be sold or supported by Microsoft). In addition, and as a concession, Microsoft has increased the end of life for Windows XP until 2012.

It is also worth noting that Microsoft is planning it's Vista replacement, "Windows 7", for a possible release date of the first half of 2010.

In case anyone cares, the Beta version of Windows 7 is already available for download on Microsoft's official website.

#19728 - 02/06/09 02:11 AM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Sordid Archetype]
Hoowie Offline
lurker

Loc: Clover, SC, USA
Truely I believe that vista was made by drunks or stoners, either as a joke or just plain stupidity. XP's not the best, but it seems to get the better vote. I wouldn't mind seein' "Windows 7" though, 'preciate the info.

I just like to stick to my XP black edition. I like it alot cuz it takes the best of both XP and vista. XP's better run times and vista's elligance.... lol. But it doesn't really matter all that much anymore. All i use a computer for is email, info look-up, and occasionally I'll play Starcraft with some buddies. Also, for a office suite, open office works well.

Oh, if anyone still plays Starcraft or any other off topic blizzard game(NOT WOW!!!, I can't stand that game) please PM me.

And if any of you want a copy of XP black, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

#20048 - 02/09/09 09:09 AM Re: Calling all geeks [Re: Hoowie]
Fallon Offline
stranger

Loc: UK, Swindon
Windows 7 is just the same as vista, all it has is a docking stataion at the bottom of the screen and the task manager, is more "shiney" it cost them 400 or $800 to make.

So all your getting is another version of vista that costs about 500 or $1000.

*(I only doubled the Dollar amount, CoS that's what we normally do in the UK)

TY

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.005 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.