Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#17129 - 12/29/08 06:58 AM the devils notebook
mutt mutton Offline
stranger

Loc: paragould ar
the devil note book is a good book to read lots of information on Satanism and the occult plus i like Anton Laveys stuff
dont you think his working is a tool?

#17201 - 12/30/08 04:25 PM Re: the devils notebook [Re: mutt mutton]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Be more precise you will be and share knowledge you will.
Proper english you must learn, punctuation and spell-check you must. "Leans on his stick". Else big problems encounter you will with members here. With dark side you watch out must!

To say it like master Yoda . Or however the little sf-frog's name is written.

#17206 - 12/30/08 04:50 PM Re: the devils notebook [Re: Dimitri]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
lol Dimitri bagging on someone for bad English. That is rich.

#17209 - 12/30/08 05:01 PM Re: the devils notebook [Re: Dan_Dread]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Hey, at least I use a spell-check.
Well, not always but I'm always making sure most of my grammar is correct.

#17245 - 12/30/08 11:23 PM Re: the devils notebook [Re: Dimitri]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
Yep, good punctuation/grammar can be a real plus this day in age, it sure is easier to read!
Back to "The Devil's Notebook"
I found it a very informative read - not only do you gain a lot of insight into LaVey's unique perspective on a range of subjects, you also get a good glimpse at his sense of humour. The chapter "Let me entertain you" had me laughing so hard, I had tears rolling down my cheeks!
And whoopee cushions are a definite must in the arsenal of a Satanist...
A very entertaining read, and a must for any Satanist's bookshelf in my opinion.

#17305 - 12/31/08 07:12 AM Re: the devils notebook [Re: spiderbreeder]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
I myself, never have read this thing.

"Tears rolling down my cheek"... I gotta read this thing.

Does it make me less of a "Satanist" if I never read this?

Poor me. Especially if it involves whoopee-cushions... I'm a big fan of those.

#17314 - 12/31/08 08:55 AM Re: the devils notebook [Re: daevid777]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Honestly I didn't really find any of Anton LaVeys other books all that interesting.

Sure, he was an interesting guy to be sure, but it has just never been in me to hero worship. In my mind he deserves all due respect for giving name and form to a certain type of person and meme that have existed unnamed for aeons. Lot's of people discovered important things that I use every day, and I probably have never heard of most of them.

#17353 - 12/31/08 03:10 PM Re: the devils notebook [Re: Dan_Dread]
Satansfarm Offline

Loc: america
My little collection of LaVeyan prose are a treasure that I refer back and forth to all the time. The Devil's Notebook and Satan Speaks give insights into Herr Doktor's personality and personal philosophy. Like tailor made clothes, they will not fit everyone who tries them on. Anton LaVey was a remarkable man, but I would not try to ape him or worship him. After reading his books, I am much more inclined to find out what is best for myself. To those who say that Satanism begins and ends with LaVey are truly missing the point. I doubt if Anton would approve.
#17364 - 12/31/08 05:46 PM Re: the devils notebook [Re: mutt mutton]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I realize that I am presumptuous, since I never personally met the man, but I believe that LaVey, was on some level smarter then most give him credit for, while at the same time, he might not have had the ability to use his knowledge to its full potential in order to reap all of the benefits, which he could have, if he didn’t become so isolated and withdrawn. (Again, I’m hypothesizing about the isolation and withdrawal only.)

On one hand, he spent most of his life studying human nature, philosophy, and psychology. He probably knew more about those subjects than many professionals in the field, since he enjoyed learning about and studying those subjects. That is one of the reasons that I don’t begrudge him the title of “Dr,” given to him by those who associated with him, even though he did not hold bonafide PHD credentials.

On the other hand, I believe that on some level he was also a victim of what might be called the Satanic disease, which if one is not careful, and mindful of, will sneak up on the Satanist.
I am referring to the tendency of being too smart for ones own good. Reaching that point, where being around average people becomes a burden, and straining, instead of enjoyable and entertaining. This may cause Satanists to become antisocial, isolated, and withdrawn, with the final result of depression.

I’m not so presumptuous however, as to feel qualified to judge Dr. Lavey’s quality of life. For that I would have to had intimate knowledge of the mans true beliefs and feelings about himself, and know what it was that he truly wished to achieve while alive.

Anyway, I drifted off topic.

What I believe about the man, from his writings, is that he would not have truly positive feelings towards those, who read his works, and adopted his philosphy as their own, but instead would have more respect for those, who might have some opposing views to him, and would be able to express those views in an objective manner.

In other words it is one thing to understand a persons views, and agree with them, and to recognize that one shares many or even most of the same views, and another thing to wish to emulate oneself after someone, yet fail to analyze the other persons views objectively, in fear of not being one of the “elite.”
This again goes back to being “Born a Satanist,” or just wishing to be one, and doing whatever it takes to appear as one.

#17417 - 01/01/09 05:23 AM Re: the devils notebook [Re: Asmedious]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Yet, he would have been oh so happy if you actually purchased his books...

Remember folks, although most of our favorite authors have probably gone the way of the dodo, the ones still living would love it if you actually "bought" their works.

This "internet age" (fuck I'm an old fart) is a blessing and a curse... remember your $$$, when someone you admire is still "doing it" - it's probably their only "job" - help a brotha out, eh?

But that's going even further off topic, sorry.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.