Topping
100g butter
100g flour
1 litre milk
1 bay leaf
4 egg yolks
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Method
Slice eggplants thickly and sprinkle with salt. Leave for about one hour. This will extract any bitter juices.

Cook the onion and garlic in oil until golden brown. Add the meat and herbs to the onion. Add the chopped tomatoes and juice. Bring to the boil, season with salt and pepper. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for five minutes.

Rinse the eggplants and dry thoroughly. Heat oil in a frying pan until hot and cook the eggplants until golden brown on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper.

Place a layer of eggplant on the bottom of a casserole dish. Then a layer of meat, then another layer of eggplant, another layer of meat and, finally, a top layer of eggplant. Make sure the top is flat.

Warm milk with a bay leaf in it and set aside. Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in flour. Cook for a few minutes and take off the heat. Slowly add warm milk into the flour mixture, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Return the mixture to the heat and stir until boiling. Season with salt and pepper and cook for five minutes. Remove the bay leaf.

Mix the egg yolks in a bowl. Pour the milk mixture into the yolks, stirring all the time. Add half the cheese. Mix well and pour the mixture over the casserole. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Bake for 40 minutes in a medium oven until the top is golden brown and the mixture reheated.

Edited by Paula (11/10/07 08:27 PM)
Edit Reason: Stylised, beef

#1883 - 11/14/07 07:25 AM Re: Mousakka [Re: Meq]
Meq Offline
Banned

I don't know who's tried this Greek dish - it is pretty delicious.

Some people like to add potato (sliced, fried and drained) - it's too much like a cottage pie to me though.

Could anyone recommend a good tipple to go with this?
Red wine would be an obvious choice, but any other suggestions?

#1894 - 11/14/07 11:00 AM Re: Mousakka [Re: Meq]
Meq Offline
Banned

Just a warning here: the aubergines (eggplant) takes a LOT of work to prepare correctly.

I'd also recommend taking care not to burn or overcook (especially if you are making cheese sauce off an electric stove), and experimenting to get the right mix of spices and flavours.

A beef or lamb stock cube (Oxo in the UK) can add a lot of flavour too.

#1910 - 11/14/07 07:55 PM Re: Mousakka [Re: Meq]
Poneros Offline
stranger

Loc: Ohio
Mmm. Although I am Greek, Mousakka is not my favorite dish, but I still enjoyed reading the recipe. It's non-eggplan cousin, Pastitsio, is probably my favorite casserole dish. A lot of Greek food is tricky because of the filo dough often involved, and my all time favorite, Dolmades (stuffed grape leaves), is particularly time consuming because of all that wrapping. Sadly, thus, I don't get to enjoy often enough.
#1945 - 11/16/07 11:14 AM Re: Mousakka [Re: Poneros]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
I haven't had dolmades in years. My grandmother used to make them all the time as did my mother; sadly, I never really learned how to make them myself although I know they're not terribly difficult, just time consuming. I'll have to ask one of them to make it sometime soon so I can watch and learn. My grandmother usually used to use beef, but can lamb be used in this also?

Homo Homini Lupus

#1957 - 11/16/07 10:14 PM Re: Mousakka [Re: Draculesti]
Poneros Offline
stranger

Loc: Ohio
Lamb can be used, but I think beef is far more common. Actually my family are "islanders" instead of "mainlanders," so our dolmades traditionally have no meat at all, just rice. I like them both ways.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.