Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#1721 - 11/10/07 09:31 PM Consciousness-altering movies
Meq Offline
Banned

Has anyone here ever seen a section of a film which transformed their consciousness, giving a temporary glimpse into new ways of looking at reality which jolts you out of your habitual way of perceiving the world?

A section in Matrix Reloaded had that effect on me.
The scene where Neo flies at break-neck speed just before he catches Trinity.
It's just digital effects, but the whole aesthetic effect of the scene brought me into a temporary trance-like state.

With my background in hypnosis, I can see how those movies incorporate a practical application of psychology to create the maximum psychological buzz in the viewer - whether the movie is viewed as just a fun action flick, or something deeper...

#1925 - 11/15/07 06:28 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meq]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
A movie out at the moment called endgame has fucked with my head totally.Was such a good documentary I'm beginning to turn into a conspiracy theory nut....suppose it didn't help I was stoned at the time.You should check it out if you get a chance.Its all about the new world order and kinda go about proving their theory by using actual footage of politicans talking about it and their plans.

#2058 - 11/19/07 10:15 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: jesusbeater]
Meq Offline
Banned

For sheer headfuck, try Freddy Got Fingered.

I found What The Bleep! to be a consciousness-altering movie (treat it with a grain of salt, though). The Butterfly Effect also had a very hypnotic effect.

As for conspiracy, check out The God Who Wasn't There.
It explores the theory that Jesus never existed as a human being, and the Church covered this up by fraud.

This one, however, does seem credible. It certainly casts doubt on the Church's official history of early Christianity, and reveals the ignorance of modern Christians of their religion's real origins.

A testament to the success of the Roman Church's propaganda?

#2080 - 11/20/07 11:20 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meq]
Meph Offline
stranger

Loc: Huntington, Indiana
I do believe there is one unmentioned movie here, Fight Club, need I say more?
#2082 - 11/20/07 12:25 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meq]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
Even though it was a semi-Christian concept, I liked "Jacob's Ladder". Anyone remember "A Clockwork Orange"?

#2085 - 11/20/07 02:17 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Sinistar]
Meph Offline
stranger

A Clockwork Orange is a good one too, how about Requiem for a Dream?
#2098 - 11/20/07 11:34 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meph]
rob_church Offline

Loc: alberta , canada
after wathcing requiem i had a viod in me for a good part of the night so blank, was an intesting feeling and the climax of that movie, epic to say the least. that movie takes you on a ride ,ups ,downs then nothing. so deffintly consciousness altering for me at least. and still one of my all time favorite shows

#2119 - 11/21/07 07:13 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meph]
Meq Offline
Banned

Fight Club is pretty good, the headfuck rating is high and it has a lot of philosophical content and nonconformist social commentary to boot.

The Sixth Sense was pretty good too... the mind-bending twist goes without saying, especially if one realises its implications!

I also liked Twelve Monkeys. Great use of flashback, and more than a little mind-bending.

Though getting on a bit now in terms of political commentary, South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut (1999) remains a classic comedy to be enjoyed on many levels, from sophisticated satire to its more puerile moments.
As for its effects on human consciousness - well, it haunted my dreams for years!

(Team America brought the political commentary up to date post 9/11, as did later South Park episodes, but BLU remains my undeniable favourite from that stable...)

#2132 - 11/22/07 05:07 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meq]
Traversez589 Offline
stranger

Loc: Minnesota
Anybody seen Donnie Darko. I thought it is a very thought-provoking movie and had a pretty innovative concept.
#2135 - 11/22/07 09:22 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Traversez589]
Meph Offline
stranger

Not mention it has an awesome soundtrack.
#2148 - 11/23/07 12:30 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meph]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I think Donnie Darko was really cool. It was kinda twisted and different to see how people make choices when given a chance to change things if given that option. I liked the directors cut better because it gave more meat to the story.

Fight Club was amazing on many different levels. I recommend reading the book too. I just really enjoyed it, and liked the whole "may I never be complete thing". I don't know if it was life changing, but it certainly added to my way of looking at things.

Requiem for a dream, well... I watched it tonight because of stuff that was mentioned here. I just don't get the whole affect it had on people. Granted it showed what people will do/the lengths they will go when they have a psychological/physical drug addiction. Maybe because it was kinda real life, real situations, real results. Maybe I'm just jaded cause I worked with a girl whos arm looked almost like that.

Morg

#2162 - 11/23/07 08:01 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Morgan]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
Fight Club definetly captured a sense of how people were and still are feeling and portrayed it in such a creativly brilliant way.Never heard of Chuck before that but have been a fan ever since and have read most of his books.I've heard that Fincher or Roth could be directing the adaptation of Lullaby soon.
Altered State was a weird but good movie too , haven't seen it in years so don't know how well or bad it dated

#2826 - 12/19/07 10:30 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: jesusbeater]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
Blue Planet (BBC)
A Huey P. Newton Story
What the bleep do we know (Further Down the Rabbit Hole)
Brazil
PIG

#2830 - 12/20/07 03:30 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meq]
delusion Offline
pledge

Loc: hawaii
The selections have been very good so far.

Fight club was easily one of the best comedies of all time. "What the %#*&!(bleep) do we know? is another worthy mention.

No one mentioned pay it forward. For me that was the ultimate "headfuk" so much so that even today its mention brings me right back to that same frustration I felt when I watched it. That movie was beautiful because the unfortunate end was a shocker. Secondly it showed me what a sap I am in even giving a shit about the kid, which is awsome when a film can crack into your being and show you something about yourself you didn't see. Big tough Satanist ;\)

#2833 - 12/20/07 09:04 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: delusion]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
"I Am Legend" fucked with my head quite a lot more than I'd expected it to. Oh, I figured it would be a typical horror movie, what with the infected humans turning into vampires and all. But really, the combination of Will Smith's acting (really, I think he's gotten better and better with each movie), and the setting of the movie, all combine to make one feel as if they are the ones who are completely alone.

I ended up not being able to fall asleep for several hours after going to bed. Three nights in a row. I think that if I watch it again, I could better prepare myself and rewrite the initial paranoia that the movie caused in my subconscious. I've never had this kind of reaction from a movie, not counting seeing "It" when I was 7 years old. Clowns.....

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.