Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#2882 - 12/23/07 08:02 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meq]
Soluna666 Offline
stranger

Loc: Canada
Yes.

Mullholland Drive, Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Wild at Heart, all by David Lynch.

A Clockwork Orange, 2001:A Space Odyssey, Eyes Wide Shut-Stanley Kubrick

Rosemary's Baby, The Ninth Gate-Roman Polanski

Performance-Nicolas Roeg

The Song Remains the Same

Those are a few of my favourite mind-altering celluloid trips.

#2884 - 12/23/07 11:00 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Soluna666]
SisterSatan Offline
lurker

Loc: Ca
Full Metal Jacket, The Mephisto Waltz, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Memento, Traces Of Death, Lost Highway, Tommy, Kwaheri:island of the witch doctor (doc), Frailty, Strangeland, The Hills Have Eyes (remake), The Exorcist, The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy, Sinthia the Devil's Doll, Down The Rabbit Hole (What The *Bleep* Do We Really Know?), Natural Born Killers, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, The Hole.

....GOD-DAMNED+DEVIL-BLESSED....

#2885 - 12/24/07 12:24 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meq]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Here are a few movies no one has mentioned yet… Including links to there respected pages on IMDB…

The Red Violin follow this instrument through time…

PI by the same director as Requiem for a dream…

Clean Shaven makes you know what its like to be schizophrenic…

Falling Down Just re-watched this today good as ever…

The Doom Generation Starla is that you?

Nowhere also by director Gregg Araki…

Enjoy

~T~

#2890 - 12/24/07 08:07 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: ta2zz]
Meq Offline
Banned

"A Beautiful Mind" with Russell Crowe is a vivid portrayal of a genius mind struggling with schizophrenic psychosis, as well as (largely) a true story.
This guy still suffers from schizophrenic symptoms (such as hallucinations of people), but manages to keep the effects of this under control.

"Pi" is also a mind-bending look at the human mind, with its story of a genius mathematician and references to the Pythagoreans (correctly mentioning how they used to worship numbers).

Some classic Disney stuff can also be a bit headfuck, if you think about it (think of the 'pink elephants' scene in Dumbo - later printed on LSD tabs)...

I also witnessed foreign students at Leeds University watch "The Wizard of Oz" whilst playing the album "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd (while indulging in a little herbal beverage). Apparently this involves incredible synchronicities...

#2898 - 12/24/07 02:20 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meq]
Soluna666 Offline
stranger

Loc: Canada
Oh, I forgot a couple of short films, namely Kenneth Anger's Lucifer Rising and Invocation of My Demon Brother.
#2902 - 12/24/07 03:17 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meq]
Succubus666 Offline

One of my favorite movies has always been Dark City and if anyone hasn’t seen it, I would highly recommend it. It really gives you something to think about in terms of your own concept of reality and it has a great aesthetic appeal. I think anyone who watched The Truman Show would naturally been hit with a temporary sense of paranoia, and of course The Matrix also had that tendency to make people question the nature of their own existence.

If anyone remembers the movie eXistenZ it was about a futuristic video game that you actually plugged into your own body and the technology was biologically based. The alternate reality became so real and things got messed up to the point that you could no longer tell what was real. Naked Lunch and Lost Highway were incredibly thought-provoking as well.

#2997 - 12/30/07 03:50 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Nemesis]
Lilith Offline
stranger

Loc: CA
Movies have a deeper baseline than that of aesthetic effect. However, aesthetic effect is a very desirable characteristic of movies. For example, Alien is a film about a family who's father has an incestuous relationship with his children and impregnates his female siblings. Once the mother figures out what is going on, she begins to commit infanticide. That is why the Nostromo's onboard computer is called Mother. The matrix is manifestation of Rene Descartes philosophical statement, “I think so therefore I am”. Movies will change your entire physique and also give details of events and circumstances your only familiar with.
#3196 - 01/07/08 06:18 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Lilith]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Bitter Moon and the original Wicker Man are both great movies to entertain and also get you thinking outside the box as such.

Actually Bitter Moon would have to be the only decent film Grant Hugh's has been in. Good ole Polanski.

They are the only two I can think of off the top of my head that haven't already been mentioned.

Zeph

#4403 - 02/20/08 11:02 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: ZephyrGirl]
blackdragon31560 Offline
pledge

Loc: Hell Paso, TX
I don't think any movie has had that effect on me, i hate to say it but i think i've seen every movie list, most where good movies. The closest thing i can think of is maybe,

American beauty, for its almost harsh but true look at the human animal.

~ Niccolo Machiavelli

#6399 - 03/26/08 01:34 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Nemesis]
Engel08 Offline
stranger

Loc: California
Animatrix was a trip...
I agree with all the listed movies...Especially the directors cut of Donnie Darko.
Jacob's ladder: Fucking badass. A rare gem. I actually found out about it from a vampire role playing game guide on..."Movies to read as resources to grasp what it is like to be crazy."
Fear and loathing.
Why are we forgetting Trainspotting?
I saw clockwork orange...The first time I was really really fucking high. In fact the first time I EVER got high. And I must admit it is completely twisted.
A scanner Darkly also gets progressively more twisted and is much much more interesting than another animated film called
"The Waking life." which should have been called "Conversations about existentialism."

And a recent one.
The Secret science of sleep. It touches on some common thought tricks. And relies on them.

#6400 - 03/26/08 01:42 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Engel08 Offline
stranger

were talking about the original Wicker man right?

The twist was beautiful in that movie.(not to mention the ass shaking.) I think the director should have tried to make a adaptation of "The Magus".

#6404 - 03/26/08 03:11 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Engel08]
rubaestellae Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
I agree with most of the movies posted here and I'll add a few of my own off the top of my head.

The Cube
In the Mouth of Madness
Sunshine

#6433 - 03/26/08 06:35 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: rubaestellae]
Engel08 Offline
stranger

I just remembered another.
The Cell

#6439 - 03/26/08 09:06 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Engel08]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Yes, henceforth me writing 'the original Wicker Man' not that piece of crap with Nicholas in it.

I loved the song in the pub! That just cracked me up.

I didn't really like the remake at all. Bees? WTF has that got to do with anything?

Zephyr

#6519 - 03/28/08 01:03 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Isaak w shipley Offline

Loc: Tenneessee
Mr.Sweeney todd welcomes you with a big burton weirdo-music fest.Im going to buy this movie when it hits the shelf.I watched in theatre,but was distraced by the universe that faithful brain buzzing day.Johhny you are the screen hero of the month.One of my prize collections inside the movie scene.From The nightmare on Elm original.To Gilbert Grape,and one to Find Neverland.Here's to you......

"The secret window to the mind."

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.