Page 5 of 5 <12345
Topic Options
#22819 - 04/02/09 08:39 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: joseph oreilly]
cheryablinsk70 Offline
stranger

I agree with whoever said Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a consciousness-altering movie. I'd also put Dr. Strangelove and V for Vendetta on that list. I don't know if animated movies count, but if they do, Ghost in the Shell and Akira expanded my mind like nothing else.
#23658 - 04/22/09 05:40 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Nemesis]
miriam Offline
pledge

Loc: Seattle, WA
jacob's ladder and a clockwork orange are two of my favorite movies. they certainly make one think about our shameful present (the former film) and terrifying future (latter).

as far as something that actually changed my perception of the world, videodrome has to be it. a lot of movies have changed my world view, enlightened me, made me think really hard, etc. cronenberg's videodrome made me physically see things in the outside world that aren't there. at least i think they're not. they're not, right? i still sometimes think there are televisions inside me. they're everywhere.

#23660 - 04/22/09 06:22 AM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: miriam]
miriam Offline
pledge

Loc: Seattle, WA
some people were discussing last temptation of christ as well, and wanted to know it's basis. it's based off the book of the same name by kazantzakis (zorba the greek). a sort of fantasy: what if satan offered christ a chance at a normal life with mary? jesus, like all people, was subject to temptation. naturally this concept provoked extreme censorship of the novel and film.

i also saw someone really liked sweeney todd, and was considering purchasing the movie. i realize i'm responding a year too late, but before you go out and buy the johnny depp movie, get your mitts on a copy of the 1982 production with george hearn and angela lansbury. this is the original cast, and hearn is the greatest sweeney that ever lived. your ears will thank you.

#86412 - 04/10/14 04:07 PM Re: Consciousness-altering movies [Re: Meq]
Ferox Offline
pledge

Loc: Adios!
Iíve seen Scorsesís Cape Fear over 50 times in the past few weeks. I guess you can say this produced a desired effect on me. Iím gonna watch it again within a few minutes, itís not overÖ, Max is your do right man! Later.
Page 5 of 5 <12345

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 17 queries. Zlib compression disabled.