Page 17 of 91 « First<1516171819>Last »
Topic Options
#17347 - 12/31/08 02:48 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Dan_Dread]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I can see where both sides are coming from on this subject. On one hand, on I understand that "I don't give a fuck what you think of me" attitude, as I have it myself. On the other; discretion is the better part of valor, which I am beginning to find out.

I have a few “satanic” tattoos and a baphomet shirt, as far as I can tell they haven’t caused me any real problems, besides occasionally being mistaken for a member of Aryan Brotherhood. None of my places of employment have ever cared about them either. Even when I was doing market research and worked with the general public on a daily basis they caused me no problems.
However, this may not be the case for everyone.

People are very judgmental creatures, and openly being a Satanist very well could be harmful. Knowing this I have become less and less interested in wearing my beliefs on my sleeve. With one of my tattoos being on my neck I can’t really cover it without wearing a turtleneck or just having it altered. I made a promise to myself that I wouldn’t get anything put on my body that I didn’t want to have forever so I should never have to alter any of them. That is a promise I intend to keep. Luckily if it comes down to it, I could just lie and say that I was young and dumb when I got the tattoo and it is absolutely meaningless.

Ultimately what I think it comes down to is this: Does the pride you feel from not giving a fuck what others think about you being a Satanist outweigh the damage that can be done from others knowing you are a Satanist? I suppose in a way this could be seen as being akin to homosexuality. Sure you might be proud to be gay but does it really help you to shout “I love the cock” (or box for the ladies) from the rooftops? Satanism has negative connotations for lots of people, whether or not the truly understand what it is. Most people find the selfish egotistical nature of Satanism to be a total turn off. That being the case; even if they understand you don’t worship Satan or sacrifice babies, they might not be very accepting.

#17355 - 12/31/08 03:34 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Diavolo]
Mike Offline

Loc: Farmingdale, NY
 Quote:
What Mike defines as being proud and not minding to answer questions = I like to talk about the shit and share MY profound knowledge because I think my philosophy is so potent it MUST be shared. The symptoms of a viral infection. Once you realize it is a virus, you also know that parts of what the virus makes you do is only benefiting the virus; must replicate, must replicate... Hosts don't matter to it.

Where did you get that from? If I thought that, which I don't, I would be voicing my opinion freely without any good reason. There is no harm in explaining something to someone who is interested. I have no need to spread my "viral infection" to anyone, and don't assume that everything you read off of me is the truth. I really think you misunderstand what I'm trying to say. Maybe I just haven't been choosing the right words.

Bottom line- I'm open to questions about my beliefs for the reason that I number one don't care how people will judge me (for now at least) and number two I don't see anything wrong with explaining myself to people who show an interest in my beliefs. How is this considered a "viral infection"? Are you comparing me to the way christians need to spread "the word of god"? Isn't there a HUGE difference between answering questions when asked and forcing ideas upon those who don't want to hear it?

#17359 - 12/31/08 04:28 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Mike]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I find both arguments valid, in regards to expressing ones belief, or refraining from doing so, dependent on the situation at hand.

Many of us, agree, that there are times, when our Satanic views are best kept quiet, if revealing them would create negative results for us. As Dan states, Martyrdom is just dumb. However, I would add, that it may not be so in EVERY case.

There may be instances, when our views, and beliefs are very strong, but there are those who oppose us who have a great amount of power and control, yet not opposing said “power” would eat us away inside, until we are spiritually dead anyway. (I am not using the word “spiritual” in a religious sense of course, but in a sense that defines our true inner selves.)

An example that comes to mind, is when a mighty, and overwhelming military force invades a community, and the members of said community have absolutely no way of over powering the attacking forces. Yet, surrendering to the invaders, would destroy everything that the members of the invaded community strongly believe and care about. In cases such as that, individuals might sacrifice their lives and well being in a show of force, even without hope of winning. The words, “Give me Liberty, or give me death,” do mean something to me in certain situations, and I have great respect for people who are willing to give up everything in circumstance such as that, even if it is for nothing else, other then to prove their point, and to refuse to live under the rule of anyone, but themselves.

Certainly, the argument that one might chose to retreat in order to fight another day, or submit and eventually wear down their enemy from the inside, also has merit. But again, not always.

Therefore in some cases where “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,” is on the line, Martyrdom is acceptable, in my view.

However, there may also be times, in our meager personal lives, where standing up for our beliefs, with the knowledge that it will have a negative impact on our lives, may also be reasonable.
There may be times, when the self satisfaction for having stood up to opposition, is more valuable, then the tangible loses, which we may sustain for being passive.

A scenario which comes to mind, would be going along with the ideals of a very rich and powerful religious family, in order to gain financial security, and to ensure our share of that families fortune later on. However, doing so, might destroy the “spirit” within us.
Again, there is some validity in the argument, that one can pretend to go along, while keeping ones beliefs to oneself, and in a sense, having ones cake and eating it too.

It all depends on the specific circumstances, the possible negative self depreciation for keeping quiet, or on the other hand, being able to live without that which we may lose, if we go against conforming opinions.

Edited by Asmedious (12/31/08 04:49 PM)
Edit Reason: cause I can't seem to form a decent writen thought today

#17366 - 12/31/08 06:26 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Asmedious]
Picunnus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Thank you, Dan. I was indeed referring to the fact that every yahoo that straggles in here says the same thing, with a few variations. It's like mix-n-match pre-fab philosophy. Isn't it definitively NOT Satanic to think like everyone else?

Barf, puke, most of you, dear readers, make me sick.

#17369 - 12/31/08 07:02 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Picunnus]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Isn't it definitively NOT Satanic to think like everyone else?

Not if everyone happens to have a great idea. To me being Satanic is allowing myself to accept ideas which appeal to me, and also to disgard those which do not...even when most like it.

#17375 - 12/31/08 08:26 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Asmedious]
Picunnus Offline

You're doing it too.

Everyone NEVER happens to have a great idea.

#17379 - 12/31/08 09:57 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Picunnus]
ACF Offline
stranger

Loc: Hamilton Ohio
I am completely open about it in public. I choose to hide it from family, for now. All my family, every single family member, is Christian. But to friends, and people around school, I am open and honest about it. I like my beliefs, but most others don't. It is sad how the reasonable religion is casted away and looked down upon by the majority of society. But really, its all about what you believe in. I like being open and honest about my religion and what I believe. Fear of what others think shouldn't hold you back. If you don't like showing your beliefs, then that is ok and we understand. We all have our own choices.

#17381 - 12/31/08 10:02 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Picunnus]
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
I am very circumstantial in my expression. I do what I feel as regards dress/pendants, rings. As far as going through the tedious task of explaining it to others; I(only when approached on it) consider first, their intent. Are they asking because they sincerely want to know, or are they merely trying to start an arguement for christs sake? If they are sincere, have they done anything to display that they would even grasp it? If they are sincere and cannot, then refer them to the SB.

#17427 - 01/01/09 07:13 AM Re: Are you a pubic Satanist [Re: blsk]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
I never tell people I am a Satanist. I do, however, tell them that I have been 'looking into' or 'studying' Satanism as I find it fascinating. That is, those few people that are close to me that I would tell something like that about. Most often in public I call myself pagan, which I feels that Satanism loosely falls under.

I definately don't mention that stuff to people at work. I don't have a baphomet tattoo or necklace at all (admittadly yet). I do have a very confronting tattoo on my arm, taken from a fairy tarot of The Green Lady. Not a cutsie picture at all. with a giant Pentagram and dragon and flames. Alot of people don't like it because it's not their idea of a 'pretty tattoo'. Which on a girl is a bit taboo. Even our esteemed Ta2zz doesn't like too many tattoos on women. It's a great tattoo and I love it. I have alot of tattoos for a woman though, and it's not to everyones taste.

It's absolutely need to know basis when it comes to Satanism though. Even though we are not as overtly religious (read Christian) as you Americans are. Over 75% of the population say they are Christian on the census.

I didn't. I put down Pagan-Satanism. There was a campaign on here to put Pagan-*******, to try and get a better gathering of the numbers of pagans, add all the wiccans, druids, shamans, etc together to try and get some sort of visable number in the stats.

Zeph

#17429 - 01/01/09 07:19 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: blsk]
Picunnus Offline

Sorry for the one-liner, but I applaud you on your literal usage of "for Christ's sake". A grammatical gem!

#17480 - 01/01/09 10:31 PM Re: Are you a pubic Satanist [Re: ZephyrGirl]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Being mostly a deistic materialist, I am not technically a "pagan" if you want to nitpick. But I have a soft spot for pagans, nature-worship, occultism, etc, and tend to express my religious views in sort of a polytheist perspective. (heck, I'm even helping my Nordic Heathen friend start up a Pagan Club at our Uni) For the sake of the census, I'd put myself down as Pagan.

But what does bother me about parts of Europe is the taxation, where churches are being funded by the religiously apathetic.

#17562 - 01/04/09 10:35 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
TheCat Offline
lurker

Loc: Brizzle, UK
Quite apart from whether I am in the closet or not (half and half I'd say) what amazes me is how often complete strangers seem to take it upon themselves to attempt to "out" me and feel its their right to demand explanations.

Apart from the usual "Pentagram" and occasionally (shock horror) reading occult books on long journeys I don't think I do much to advertise my beliefs. In my opinion, either being too open or too secrettive tends to distract from the magickitself. In any case, whenever this happens I tend to ask what my questioner THINKS I do. The answers are frequently fascinating if not downright hilarious. Perhaps there is a lurid novel in there somewhere...

I realise that LaVey addresses this subject. I believe it is a fairly common experience to read the Satanic Bible for the first time and think "Yes! I've being doing this for years I know it's true!"

This is one example that is particularly true for me.

TheCat.

#17569 - 01/04/09 01:18 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: TheCat]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
Quite apart from whether I am in the closet or not (half and half I'd say) what amazes me is how often complete strangers seem to take it upon themselves to attempt to "out" me and feel its their right to demand explanations.

That's because you are seducing them to try to find out more about you.
If they try you, fuck'em; otherwise be not afraid to be a little harsh towards other people who are pushing you.

#17581 - 01/04/09 04:10 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Dimitri]
TheCat Offline
lurker

Loc: Brizzle, UK
Of course I am very seductive, I have read the Satanic Witch after all...no, only joking. Perhaps I'm a little bit too laid back about things, but I find that people scare themselves effectively enough by projecting their own repressions onto the blank screen I provide without that I have to take personal action.

I would rather conserve my energy/attention for magick and the people who deserve it than waste it buy getting enraged. As Peter Carroll says, with practice you can cultivate inner laughter at just about any situation. Which is preferable. After all, what is magick without laughter? Thanks for the reply though!

TheCat.

#17629 - 01/05/09 08:35 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: JohnTurk]
Jerry Offline
lurker

yes, i think since christians are all christian in public i should be able to share my views with people, since usually a person has never met a REAL satanist and have only seen on TV or read about them the horrible things people like to say, i enjoy disproving one by one all of the nonsensical, inane things the public has to say about satanists.
Page 17 of 91 « First<1516171819>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.034 seconds of which 0.008 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.