Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1733 - 11/11/07 12:34 AM Saw 4
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Loc: Washington State
So, what do people think of the series? The new movie? Future installments?

I personally like them. They're a lot deeper than many typical slasher movies, with enough blood, gore, and torture to satisfy my lust for artificial, staged blood.

#1760 - 11/11/07 05:10 PM Re: Saw 4 [Re: undeadridinghood]
SSSnake Offline
pledge

Loc: PA. U.S.A.
I have saw 1 through 3, I like them all but have not seen 4, I am shure its great to. there good movies hope to see saw 4 sooon!
As far as a series they have a good story line. let me know how 4 was please.

#1775 - 11/11/07 09:14 PM Re: Saw 4 [Re: SSSnake]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

4 is awesome. There's a lot of back story about how Jigsaw became who he is. I also own 1-3, only because I bought a trilogy set the week before Saw 4 came out.

The only thing about it was that I had to read a plot spoiler afterward to figure out exactly what happened at the end. They play with the timeline in a similar way to Saw 2, but they don't make it quite as clear. I basically knew what was going on, but I read the spoiler just to be sure.

#1787 - 11/12/07 12:49 AM Re: Saw 4 [Re: undeadridinghood]
Baphomit666 Offline
stranger

Loc: Taunton-Mass-USA
I've seen saw4 also and i think it was awesome. I agree though that they did not make the end very clear, but i like how they integrated the fourth movie into the series (cause i loved the trilogy, but i honestly had my doubts about the 4th installment) and it was definately well done. I have some stipulations on how they would add to the series though i am eager to find out if they do and, how they do it.

#1805 - 11/12/07 01:16 PM Re: Saw 4 [Re: Baphomit666]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Well, I don't know *how* they're going to do it, but I can say that there are going to be 7 movies. That's three more to add to the story.
#1810 - 11/12/07 05:26 PM Re: Saw 4 [Re: undeadridinghood]
Baphomit666 Offline
stranger

Yeah i heard that they were going to do 7 just this morning actually from a friend. I will definately go see all of them regardless. I just hope that in order to reach the 7th movie they do not stretch too far.

#1815 - 11/12/07 06:28 PM Re: Saw 4 [Re: undeadridinghood]
SSSnake Offline
pledge

Loc: PA. U.S.A.
Sounds awsome cant wait to see it. so far I like two the best i like the cop drama with it. Also it had a weird ending.
hope to here back from ya thanks.....

;\) one that dosent love life dont deserve life!

#1820 - 11/12/07 09:21 PM Re: Saw 4 [Re: undeadridinghood]
ballbreaker Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
The Saw series is just a poor, gory (this is not a redeeming feature by itself) imitation of Se7en.

Saw utilizes the concept of the "moral killer" but depends rather heavily on bizarre and unrealistic horror experiments and "oh my god" (rather, OMG) endings.

The first Saw was alright; it wasn't too over the top like the sequels (I expect Saw 4 will just push things over the limit) and it involved a good twist, not to mention Danny Glover, the biggest twist of them all.

But 2 and 3 did not have the same edge, and it's clear to me that even the director must have known; it's the only way to explain the use of a whole warehouse and mansion full of traps and tests to compensate for the lack of originality in the plot.

#1823 - 11/12/07 10:12 PM Re: Saw 4 [Re: ballbreaker]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Except that he's not a "moral killer", but a moral tester. He doesn't intend for anyone to die, he assumes they will, but he doesn't want them to die, just the part of them that he finds weak.

The horror experiments are interesting, because the people who created them, movie people, worked very hard to make them realistic. They use very few special effects, I suppose they mean computer graphics when they say that, and they meticulously design each device to be possible, realistic, and practical to film. Perhaps they seem overly elaborate to someone who assumes that Jigsaw is just another murderer, why doesn't he just use a knife or a gun, but he's not just another killer, and that's the entire point.

#1827 - 11/13/07 12:51 AM Re: Saw 4 [Re: undeadridinghood]
ballbreaker Offline

Quote:
Except that he's not a "moral killer", but a moral tester. He doesn't intend for anyone to die

Interesting.

Most of the characters in the film really struggle with the whole idea of Jigsaw just washing his hands of the murder-machine he straps them to; you really don't think he intends for anyone to die?

I thought the point was that he was psychotic, not saintly, for putting people in absurd "do or die" scenarios just so they'll have greater incentive to quit smoking, or whatever. The concept is "moral killer"/"I-want-you-to-survive-but-first-pull-this-off", but the underlying idea is that the killer is simply deranged, no?

Whether Jigsaw just flat out murders a guy like Kevin Spacey in Se7en does is besides the point; both commit the violent act in order to give a lesson to either the individual or society; basically, I really see no difference between the two psychopaths, and on account of this I still feel that Saw is just a gore-injected rip-off of the much classier Se7en.

Quote:
The horror experiments are interesting, because the people who created them, movie people, worked very hard to make them realistic.

You actually considered those torture devices to be realistic? Now if this were a state with huge resources at its behest...of course, yes, I can concieve of a contraption that will hoist me above ground, keep me locked in, and carefully rip out my rib cage...

I don't think the murder schemes are overly elaborate because Jigsaw is "just another murderer", I see them as unrealistic and silly in light of the fact that he is an old man with one assistant. Jigsaw reminds me of Wile E. Coyote a little bit, actually. The guy just dials the number to Acme and orders up the latest gizmo...yeah, the rockets and catapults and whatever are all pretty fascinating, but I just can't take it seriously.

#1828 - 11/13/07 12:51 AM Re: Saw 4 [Re: undeadridinghood]
Baphomit666 Offline
stranger

I don't think that these killings have anything to do with morality as he is merely trying to give them a life altering experience. He is a bitter old man with nothing left and a new found passion for the life he will not be able to complete in turn.

I do kindof have to agree with ballbreaker in that, as with every sequal, the plot tends to be stretched to a fine line between the first movie and the last. I know that the plot will thin and ties to prior events will be stretched to the breaking point.

I still love these movies though because in large part of the first one and how original it was. Plus i am sick and love to see lots of blood and people dieing in unusual fashion is always a plus for me in any movie.

#1830 - 11/13/07 02:16 AM Re: Saw 4 [Re: ballbreaker]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

I'm just making a point that he's different from the guy in Se7en. Jigsaw has been doing this sort of thing for long enough that he personally does wash his hands of the consequences. There are certain points where you can tell he's rooting for the guy in the trap, like in Saw 3, or with Amanda.

One character flaw that Jigsaw has is that he thinks he knows what constitutes as the "wrong" way to live a life. Some are stereotypical, like drug dealers and murderers, but some are more controversial, like the female cop who focuses more on the dead than the living. What gives him the right to make that decision? Past experiences, and the fact that because he's near death, the consequences don't matter.

The devices are... unique. Not too much different than the complicated torture devices used in the inquisition, or other things that people invent and create for other purposes, like BDSM. The man is an architect and has a good understanding of structural design. It is suspicious that he can get the materials, but the devices are well thought out from a functioning standpoint. They explain it in the special features disk in the DVD set for Saw 3.

Just *ONE* assistant? ...perhaps a spoiler is in order for a person who probably won't watch the film anyway?...

#1832 - 11/13/07 02:47 AM Re: Saw 4 [Re: undeadridinghood]
ballbreaker Offline

Quote:
Just *ONE* assistant? ...perhaps a spoiler is in order for a person who probably won't watch the film anyway?...

Ahhhh I saw this coming from a mile away..

OK, hit me.

#1833 - 11/13/07 03:08 AM Re: Saw 4 [Re: ballbreaker]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

*SPOILER ALERT*

It's one of the cops in Saw 4. Not a particularly memorable guy, but he pretends to be kidnapped in order to lure another cop, Riggs, into a complicated, multipart trap where he's forced to commit Jigsaw-like crimes, causing the deaths of several people. At the end, you find out that the apprentice/cop will be tested as well, which A. leads to the plot of Saw 5, and B. makes you wonder how he became Jigsaw's apprentice if he didn't go through a trap himself already, the way that Amanda did.

*END OF SPOILER*

I'm not saying the movies aren't a bit predictable, and I'm not saying they're perfect, I for one felt a distinct lack of something in Saw 3, I'm just not sure what. I just identify with them, I suppose. Using a bad experience to create a new appreciation for life is something that, while obvious to some, is easily forgotten by others.

#2015 - 11/19/07 09:21 AM Re: Saw 4 [Re: undeadridinghood]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
[quote=undeadridinghood]4 is awesome. There's a lot of back story about how Jigsaw became who he is. I also own 1-3, only because I bought a trilogy set the week before Saw 4 came out.

Oh, I thought that Jigsaw's origin/purpose was explained in the first movie. I guess you highly recommend "Saw4" then. It's the only one that I'm missing too. Wait! Don't tell me anymore!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.