Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#17485 - 01/01/09 11:44 PM Necronomicons 'n' stuff
The Zebu Online

Loc: Orlando, FL
(This isn't a thread to debate on the authenticity of the Simon Necronomicon or similar forgeries. The Necronomicon is clearly a work of fiction created by Lovecraft, so don't start any pointless debates about how it actually "exists in the astral plane" or that kinda bullshit.)

That said, what are some good takes on the Necronomicon you have seen? These are the following I have seen so far...

Simon Necronomicon- There's only about 20 pages of actual content... the rest is a bunch of pure ritualistic mumbo-jumbo sprinkled with random namedrops from Babylonian Mythology and corrupted renditions of Lovecraft's deities to make them sound authentic- but the similarity stops there and is an immensely disappointing read. Although if you want a bunch of random evil-sounding mumbo jumbo to recite for ritual fodder, it's chock full of it, along with its own version of the Goetia. The writer still insists it's real, even though the joke has been over for a long time.

Hay Necronomicon- Mostly true to Lovecraft's fiction, but a little boring and not that imaginative. At least the author admits it's a fake.

Tyson Necronomicon- Also called "Wanderings of Alhazred", this is by far the most entertaining, imaginative, and true-to-Lovecraft version I've come across. The only real flaw is that it reads more like an autobiography of Alhazred than an actual grimoire, but the satisfyingly dark narrative presented is rather well-written and captivating. While it won't drive you insane, it certainly is worthy of its alleged authorship by a "Mad Arab", with descriptions of corpse-summoning, necrophagy, murderous cults, and other lurid delights.

Grimoire of the Necronomicon- Also by Tyson, it attempts to make a complimentary Grimoire for actual magical practice. While it utilizes relevant symbolism correlating with Lovecraft's fiction, the book falls short in being being TOO practical- ie, it is not blasphemous or terrifying in the least, and comes off as being a blatantly new-agey in its' avoidance of anything "too evil". Let's just say that if your "Invocation to Shub Niggurath" DOESN'T include debaucherous rites of orgiastic incest, then there's a serious problem. Kinda lame...

Book of Old Ones - Not technically a Necronomicon, but if you want a humorous look at this laughably lame book, check out a review here: http://www.mythostomes.com/content/view/85/1/

I've been thinking of writing my own if I ever had the spare time, for my own entertainment, but then again some things are better if left to the imagination.

Edited by The Zebu (01/01/09 11:51 PM)

#17488 - 01/02/09 01:24 AM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: The Zebu]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
I like the Simon Necronomicon...

the "meat" of the work is actually well thought out (my opinion) and, from what I remember, has wriggled its way into Qabalistic methodology.

The Gates of the Necronomicon - also by Simon, is actually, suprisingly... interesting. Again, this "guy" is either a great bullshit artist, or he definitely knows a thing or two... and/or both. I recommend it, if only for amusement, and your collection of "Necromicon" lore.

Otherwise, I don't see why this actually couldn't be worked into your "magickal repertoire", if yer aim was to do so...

Haven't read the others, as Tyson always seemed to be ripping someone off in his other works... I just didn't think I'd find anything "new", but I'll check 'em out.

Thanks.

#17490 - 01/02/09 01:29 AM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: The Zebu]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Tyson sucks, I dont really like his style of writing. As Daevil said, he tends to eip off other people works in a poorly done way.

M

#17631 - 01/05/09 08:44 AM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: Morgan]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
The Necronomicon, Selected Stories and Essays Concerning the Blasphemous Tome of the Mad Arab , is a fascinating read.
Chosen & Introduced by Robert M. Price.

Quite enjoyed it.

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#20710 - 02/18/09 09:58 AM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: Woland]
joseph oreilly Offline
Incomprehensible--Banned
pledge

Lovecraft wrote it as a pre-teen with his grandfarther, i can't make sense of it although the cover art to it is usually impressive.
#20717 - 02/18/09 11:20 AM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: joseph oreilly]
The Zebu Online

Lovecraft never wrote a Necronomicon. He played with the idea, though, but never actually produced it, short of a few quotes, names, and symbols sprinkled into his stories.

From one of his letters:
“As for bringing the Necronomicon into objective existence—I wish indeed I had the time and imagination to assist in such a project...but I’m afraid it’s a rather large order—especially since the dreaded volume is supposed to run something like a thousand pages! I have ‘quoted’ from pages as high as 770 or thereabouts. Moreover, one can never produce anything even a tenth as terrible and impressive as one can awesomely hint about. If anyone were to try to write the Necronomicon, it would disappoint all those who have shuddered at cryptic references to it.”

I think what you're referring to, is that he first made up the name "Abdul Alhazred" when he was a boy as a sort of play-name. But he never actually thought up the Necronomicon until later when he was a writer.

Edited by The Zebu (02/18/09 11:22 AM)

#20718 - 02/18/09 11:38 AM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: joseph oreilly]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: joseph oreilly
Lovecraft wrote it as a pre-teen with his grandfarther, i can't make sense of it although the cover art to it is usually impressive.

Necronomicon is a fictive work. In the sense of "NOT A REAL BOOK".
Some authors made one up, most contained bullshit, few contained something valuable.
If you do not know what you are talking about, please leave now or shut up.

#20964 - 02/21/09 02:25 PM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: Dimitri]
joseph oreilly Offline
Incomprehensible--Banned
pledge

Originally Posted By: Dimitri
 Originally Posted By: joseph oreilly

Necronomicon is a fictive work. In the sense of "NOT A REAL BOOK".
Some authors made one up, most contained bullshit, few contained something valuable.
If you do not know what you are talking about, please leave now or shut up.

If you didn't have such a cool gif animation as your avatar maybe you wouldn't be so arrogant, the fact is however fictive it maybe to you i read in the foward to another book that it isn't as well as seeing some of the text online following an extensive google search you crack goblin.

#36243 - 03/12/10 03:44 AM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: The Zebu]
Sireal Offline
stranger

Loc: Canada
This should clear up the more pressing points of Simon's origins.
Written by a Friend and colleague who was actually There!
Personally I'm a fan of George Hay's Necronomicon, published by Skoob.

http://www.nypress.com/article-7663-the-doom-that-came-to-chelsea.html

#36261 - 03/12/10 01:24 PM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: Sireal]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Sireal
Personally I'm a fan of George Hay's Necronomicon.

From the Temple of Set reading list:

Originally Posted By: M.A.A.
7D. The Necronomicon by George Hay (Ed.). London: Neville Spearman, 1978. (TOS-3) MA: “The fame of HPL’s fictional Necronomicon inevitably inspired other authors to produce books purporting to actually be that terrible tome. Some are good-humored tributes; some appear to be deliberately fraudulent. This Hay version, which is both a collection of commentaries and a ‘translation’ of the Necronomicon, is both the most entertaining and the most scholarly of the good-humored types. Included are essays by Colin Wilson (#4A, #7E, etc.) and David Langford (#21D), with ‘translation’ by Robert Turner [from the ‘John Dee Edition’ - which was invented by Frank Belknap Long for one of his Cthulhu-mythos stories!].”

L. Sprague de Camp, after grumbling that he didn't have a Nec to glamorize his personal bookcase, produced a suitably-ominous edition completely in Arabic. It's gibberish, but fun to startle the Great Unwashed who dismiss the book's existence - until you pull it out of your bookshelf and show it to them. [To do this right, you have to hunt down the OOP hardcover original edition, because the current paperback edition lacks the requisite atmosphere.]

#36279 - 03/12/10 08:23 PM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
You know, I wonder what sort of market this might have?

I am pretty sure I know a guy who would be up for the job. Something written in an older Arabian Arabic with lots of nice calligraphy - leather bound in the Gutenberg style.

What do you think people would pay for this? And more to the point, how to sell it? You wouldn't want such a thing to be too available.

#36291 - 03/12/10 11:32 PM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: Fist]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Fist
You know, I wonder what sort of market this might have?

I am pretty sure I know a guy who would be up for the job. Something written in an older Arabian Arabic with lots of nice calligraphy - leather bound in the Gutenberg style.

What do you think people would pay for this? And more to the point, how to sell it? You wouldn't want such a thing to be too available.

Forry Ackerman showed me his copy of the de Camp book at his home when it first came out, and both of us were clucking at the prices copies of this in-joke were already commanding at Gilbert's and the Cherokee down on Hollywood Boulevard. All they had to do was to have just one copy at a time visible, in a special locked glass case. ;\)

When my Church of Satan was back in its 2nd edition, it was still small enough to be hardbound and priced somewhat affordably [it's always been nonprofit]. So I had copies bound in black [faux] elephant hide, with the title and Baphomet stamped in silver on the cover. When those 2nd editions show up on eBay occasionally, they command jaw-dropping prices - particularly when the much more extensive 6th edition is a free ebook download from my webpage.

Anton was smart enough to have the Satanic Bible and Rituals done with a very simple and stylish cover design instead of the garish, cheesy stuff one usually saw in occult/New Age books of the day. Had those books come out in high-class custom hardbound editions, like my 2nd edition COS, they'd be big bucks today.

The University Books hardcover editions were a cheaply-made disappointment, but that's the way UB functioned.

The best device that I saw for those two books was a black plastic slipcover for the paperbacks, with a full-size copper Baphomet & supporting designs metal relief plaque affixed to the front. Anton had only a few of these gems, gave me personalized copies of the books in them. Stunning. I am thinking that today, probably on the net, one should be able to find custom paperback covers, probably with some exotic and spooky designs. Worth Googling around for.

Anyway the short answer to your question is yes, lots of people do judge a book by its cover.

#36292 - 03/12/10 11:48 PM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
PeteOfTheDead Offline

Loc: Brunswick, Melbourne, Victoria...
In every online discussion of Necronomicons I've seen there's ALWAYS someone who claims the book is real. I love it. It goes to show how powerful the idea is.

#36312 - 03/13/10 10:50 AM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: PeteOfTheDead]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
General responses:

This story or part of it to my knowledge came out in my copies of Behutet, published in 2001 issues ten and eleven. Behutet is or was a quarterly publication of Thelesis Camp, OTO. I don't know if its printed anymore or etc...

I liked Herman Slater, he was cool, and always nice to me. I have my memories, other people have theirs.

I guess my point is so what, it's made up from different sources. I like it, I use it in rites. I think the common knowledge and energy directed at it, has in a way given it a life of it's own. I use it, it makes me happy, and I get results.

I feel strongly about this, and even have some of the sigils which mean something important to me tattooed around my baphomet. I think it's over 15 years old at this point.

I know in a way to some people it might sound silly, but then to most people here, the Xitian bible is silly too.

Morgan

#36447 - 03/14/10 09:56 PM Re: Necronomicons 'n' stuff [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
The Zebu Online

I've always been a little disappointed, you know? It wouldn't be too hard for them to release a few hardcover Satanic Bibles every couple years. The whimpy little Avon pulp-paperback doesn't look very menacing on one's necro-bookshelf-of-ultimate-doom. I'm not asking for anything fancy or cheesy; just a simple black clothbound thing with a goats-head stamped on the front.

As for the Necronomicon, I think an unintelligible mass of barbaric Latin text and evil-looking symbols bound up in a dusty, ominous leather tome would be a more efficient magical tool than some stiff, meticulously-researched occult book that devotes hundreds of pages describing why Kadath kabbalistically corresponds to the sephirothic sphere of Kether, or which ancient Sumerian deities are actually Cthulhu in disguise. (I'm looking at you, Kenneth Grant.) I haven't done much ritual work in the Cthulhu mythos, but making a special Necronomicon for just that purpose is certainly on my list.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.