Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#17628 - 01/05/09 07:32 AM Need help!
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
I am coming home from Iraq soon and am going to start up on the drinking of wines.

I'm not talking about the cheap 5 liter shit in boxes. I'm talking about good fine wines. I need a few suggestions to start me out on those who have experience in this field. I'm looking for some good ones that aren't going to make me go broke in a week.

#17636 - 01/05/09 11:32 AM Re: Need help! [Re: Ringmaster]
Cody Offline
pledge

I was there about ten years ago in A co. 1/41 2nd INF BT (other units afterward) A co. 1/41 is now part of 3rd ID (I think). It was a cakewalk for us in that place at that time but I know it isn't that now. I do ask what unit are you in and where are you stationed?

Make your own if worst comes to worst and others tastes aren't yours.

#17638 - 01/05/09 11:43 AM Re: Need help! [Re: Ringmaster]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I don't know where you are returning to, so some information might not work for you. If you are returning to a large metropolitan area, I suggest going to a wine or gourmet store. They usually have a large selection of wines from all over. Often, they have a sampling going on. Talk with a salesperson and discuss what your options are. There are some very good wines for under $10. The $10-12 range is full of them. Unless you want to, you really don't have to spend more than $12 for a really fantastic bottle. In this area, the larger grocery stores have quite a decent selection. And they offer sampling on selected days.

Research the area you are returning to. There may be some wineries operating there. In my area I probably have close to 100 that I can get to within an hour and half. They usually charge a small fee and you can sample everything they have to offer. With refills. Find something you like, and you can pick up some bottles. These sell for a bit more than what you might find in the store, but often are well worth it. I have a VIP membership at one that I like. At any time I can go there and have a private room set up with my favorite bottle or 3. I have access to bottles that are not for sale to the public. I get a discount. I also have 2 bottles of my choice sent to my house every other month. They have one bottle, Mandolin, that sells out very quickly. Often the only way to get one is through Ebay. However, I have access to it by being a VIP.

Barefoot is a good brand that sells for around $10. They have a wide selection and it always tastes good. Red Truck makes some really good reds under $10. Ravenwood is good and will be a little more expensive. Have fun.

#17675 - 01/06/09 02:07 AM Re: Need help! [Re: fakepropht]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Fakepropht is on the scene, most definitely, and I won't argue one bit - good advice.

If your idea is to start "keeping" wines, then I suggest you subscribe to some sort of wine "digest"...

Otherwise... let your palate be your guide. I mean, YOU'RE going to drink this stuff, right? So who gives a shit what other people say. I'm a bit of a "wine snub", but I like Riunite's Lambrusco (and you should know the story of the Lambrusco grape, if you're drinking it), so fuck it. It's yours...

Otherwise, some wines go great with some foods, and don't fall into the red sauce, red meat, red wine trap either... Experimentation is the founder of knowledge, for yourself...

I myself, like a Brie (inoculated Bleu, Roquefort) soft cheese, sesame seed crackers (unsalted)(Wasa), and a nice Chardonnay... you'll thank me later.

I also like a good Cabernet with a steak and some excellent mushrooms... sue me.

"I ate his liver, with some Fava beans and a nice Chianti...."

Trying it out, and opening your sensations is what it is all about, experiement, see what you like, that's the fun,

just be sure to take "Milk Thistle" every day, and this goes for all of you. Be careful.

Edited by daevid777 (01/06/09 02:13 AM)

#17677 - 01/06/09 02:26 AM Re: Need help! [Re: daevid777]
daevid777 Offline

Again, re-reading your post... I'd suggest at least buying one magazine on wines, sometimes the liqour stores will have a "pro-bono" article that you can grab from the counter. But I've been dissatisfied a number of times, and when you can say you bought this for $400, you open it, and it tastes like shit... well, you just got a $400 lesson in what not to buy next.

Truth is, wines come from all over the globe, some good, some bad, I don't think there is an "expert" that hasn't had his or her share of the "bad"... but that is their own subjectivity. Go and explore, that's the "real" fun of it, what you and anyone important to you thinks about it...

Otherwise, try Australian (not the usual), try Peruvian, try Spanish, Italian,French, American (gasp)... they will each have their own story, demographics, and charm, and if you like food, you may find yourself making combinations previously unheard of... and no one will give a damn.

So.... make a lot of bad choices, and wind up with a few gems... least you'll be is drunk.

(Milk Thistle)

#17696 - 01/06/09 09:42 AM Re: Need help! [Re: daevid777]
Big Slick

I have to agree with Daevid. Pairing wine with food enhances both. Several months back I attended a tasting that paired a blackberry wine with dark chocolate. We were told to try the wine first. Then try the wine with a bite of the chocolate. Amazing, the different taste on the pallet. A good steak and a glass of good red wine compliment each other very well.

I differ on his opinion of reading a wine publication. Most are written by wine snobs that will never give a 98 rating to a wine that costs $10. Try looking in the local paper. Ours has a weekly column about wine with recommendations and pairings.

I find Australian wines to be a bit bland. Same for South African wines. I find the wines coming out of Spain, Portugul, and Chile to have some good flavor and spice. Just like Daevid said, expirement. Sample anything that interests you. The world of wine can be extremely interesting. Your possibilities are endless. You can sample by region, grape, type, vintner, season, year, etc. Worst you come away with is a $10-20 headache and the knowledge you will skip that vintner in the future.

#17739 - 01/07/09 12:00 AM Re: Need help! [Re: fakepropht]
daevid777 Offline

Agreed and well stated sir!

By the way, the only reason I mentioned the wine "magazines" is if Ringmaster's objective was to "keep" wines for "investement". It's another way rich people can hide their money, and it can make sense.

That is, alcohol will always be "in demand"...

It had absolutely nothing to do with flavor. My palate is not so refined that I can actually tell the difference between a $15 bottle of wine, or a $100 bottle.

#17743 - 01/07/09 12:11 AM Re: Need help! [Re: daevid777]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I have always liked MD 20/20. It is cheap, but as far as I know it doesn't come in 5 liter boxes. If it did though, that would be awesome. Most people I know hate the stuff because it gives them hangovers, but I have never had any problems with it. Maneschewitz is also a good cheap wine that I enjoy on occasion.

#17746 - 01/07/09 12:36 AM Re: Need help! [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
daevid777 Offline

I prefer Mogen David (MD) over Maneschewitz... if we're talking cheap ass Kosher wine...

Made with real "Concord Grapes" - like the ones they make jams and jellies out of...

I think people get hangovers from this type of crap from the resdiual and the extra heaping of added bonus sugar these things contain...

#17748 - 01/07/09 12:42 AM Re: Need help! [Re: daevid777]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Yeah you are probably right about the sugar content being responsible for the hangovers. Years ago me and my friend drank a bunch of Smirnoff Ice; the next morning was no party. I blamed the sugar content for my hangover. Although I really could only blame myself.

#17827 - 01/08/09 01:24 PM Re: Need help! [Re: daevid777]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
Yeah I plan on both keeping and drinking on occasion. I do enjoy beer and liqour. But I want to try to broaden my horizons a little. My grandfather really got me into wine. He knows some stuff but mostly buys that stuff that you get in boxes which doesn't seem to aplify anything for me.

I understand that most of this is trial and error. I will go and get those mags. Thanks for the advice.

Fakeprophet: I am living in Hawaii where I'm stationed so I'm sure that there will be some good ones around being that there are a lot of good places since it is a romantic tourist attraction.

MD20/20 is shit I despise the stuff. If I wanted stuff like that I would put my 151 in koolaide. I used to drink that stuff when I was 15 and goddamn the memories that the name brings back!!!!

Edited by Ringmaster (01/08/09 01:25 PM)
Edit Reason: side note

#17868 - 01/09/09 01:43 AM Re: Need help! [Re: Ringmaster]
daevid777 Offline

Liquor would probably keep forever, beer... I don't think so. Otherwise, wine... then you'll find out about the "great cork debate"... that is, if it is still a good idea for bottling wines (even "expensive" ones) in true "cork". Apparently for whites, it's actually better for them to have a synthetic cork or *shudder* metal "cap" for preservation purposes, but the French would never allow such a thing for the "Reds"...

Happy hunting!

#17905 - 01/09/09 04:56 PM Re: Need help! [Re: daevid777]
Big Slick

Wrong. Remember all alcohol is made from organic materials. Except for pure grain alcohol, they all contain varying degrees of sugars, starches, and left over organic matter. To some degree these will all break down and deteriorate over time. Especially once opened. Of course, spirits will last the longest, but even they over time will spoil. Wine may age, but at some point it over ages and deteriorates. Turning more to a vinegar than a wine. I think 7 years is the agreed upon time frame for most red wines. Depending on how it is stored, the type of container, etc, eventually any alcoholic drink will spoil. I've imbibed a rotten rum before. It was kept as a "display" bottle. Very bitter and nasty tasting.

#17912 - 01/09/09 06:48 PM Re: Need help! [Re: fakepropht]
Picunnus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Emphasis on the "most" as far as the red wine goes. Some wines are kept for decades. Not all wines improve with age, only "fine wines" do. Some pretty interesting info on this here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aging_of_wine

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 27 queries. Zlib compression disabled.