Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#17704 - 01/06/09 07:06 PM "Religulous"
Mike Offline

Loc: Farmingdale, NY
I was browsing the internet the other day, looking for new movies that are still playing in theaters, and I came across the movie "Religulous", a documentary from Bill Maher.

I found the movie rather entertaining, as Maher goes on to interview people of all different religions. Watching peoples reaction to Maher's dark sarcasm was well worth watching the film, and all in all I think he did a pretty good job opening peoples eyes to religion of any kind.

One of the people he interviewed was 'Father George Coyne, PhD (Vatican Observatory)'. Surprisingly, he had much to say that actually made a lot of sense, unlike most priests who would throw nothing but religious dogma and scripture at you. Also, the fact that he even agreed to talk to Bill Maher shows that he isn't your average priest (the way he displays his views on religion on his show I thought would be enough for him to refuse to talk to him). Anyway, as the interview went on, Bill asked some pretty tough questions about christianity that you would think would force any religious person to play the faith card and start quoting scripture. Coyne's response to some of the questions shocked me. Apparently, Father Coyne had done his homework when it came to science. When Maher started questioning Coyne about faith and science, he gave a surprisingly intelligent response. This is what he said...

"The Chrisitan scriptures were written between about 2000bc to 200ad. Modern science came to be with Galileo, up through Newton, through Eienstien, and so on. What we know as modern science came from within that period (starting with Galileo). With that said, how in the world can there be any science in the bible? There cannot be, because the two periods are separated so much. The scriptures are NOT teaching science."

Just hearing this I was blown away, and then Coyne went on to explain how hard it was for him to keep his faith with this being realized. For the first time ever, a priest actually said something about religion that made sense!

Basically, a PRIEST proved there is no science behind the bible what so ever. His answer just made so much sense I would've thought it came from someone outside of christianity.

You would think this alone would be enough to open up the eyes of all of these Christians trying to "prove" the bible with science and fact. The rest of the movie was pretty much just Bill being himself.

What this movie made me realize was that even if you do have faith in the bible or any other religious scriptures like it, there is nothing about it that can be proved with science.

I thought this was a really great documentary, and I would recommend it to anyone that wants to see exactly what's going on inside of religious peoples minds, or if you just want a good laugh. For me, it reassured me that I am on the right path and showed me exactly how hysterical religion can really be.

#17708 - 01/06/09 08:40 PM Re: "Religulous" [Re: Mike]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
http://www.the600club.com/dir/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/12806#Post12806

#17711 - 01/06/09 09:12 PM Re: "Religulous" [Re: Dan_Dread]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
The original thread is locked.

Nonetheless, Mike does bring up an interesting point. I've noticed as well that the Catholic Church has been reconciling itself with modern science in recent times. While it still relies on dogma for faith-based issues, it's nice to see some people stop fighting against reality to support biblical literalism.

I still need to see the movie though, so I can actually contribute something meaningful to the discussion...

#17713 - 01/06/09 09:32 PM Re: "Religulous" [Re: The Zebu]
Mike Offline

Go to watch-movies.net
You will find it there.

Dan_Dread: As Zebu said, that thread is locked. I guess we can continue the discussion on this thread instead.

#17719 - 01/06/09 10:05 PM Re: "Religulous" [Re: Mike]
The Zebu Offline

DAMN YOU! I was going to retire for the evening but now I am being involuntarily forced by my own obsession to watch the whole thing online!

...I'll throw my two cents in when it's over...

*grumblegrumble*

#17732 - 01/06/09 11:28 PM Re: "Religulous" [Re: The Zebu]
The Zebu Offline

Overall I liked the movie. What seemed interesting surrounding the controversy is that some people complained that he interviewed the dumbest people possible, as if they could actually provide correct answers that could defend their faith. Who could actually provide sufficient explanations? Seeing Christians go into a long theological rant only to end up at the predictable "God works in mysterious ways" or "Satan is trying to deceive you" excuses gets tiring after a while.

I find it hilarious that the only person he got into an actual quarrel with was a Rabbi.....

....and then the free viewing script timed out.

#17781 - 01/07/09 12:07 PM Re: "Religulous" [Re: The Zebu]
Mike Offline

Quote:
What seemed interesting surrounding the controversy is that some people complained that he interviewed the dumbest people possible, as if they could actually provide correct answers that could defend their faith. Who could actually provide sufficient explanations?

You're right. A lot of the people he interviewed were priests, rabbi's, faith healers, and that crazy guy who thought he was the great great great (great) grandson of Christ...You would think people who make such outrageous claims as they did in the movie would be able to at least provide a reasonable explanation to their madness. But nope, not in this documentary.

I think the controversy wasn't that the people he interviewed were stupid, I think it was the questions Maher asked that made them look that way.

#25480 - 06/07/09 04:33 PM Re: "Religulous" [Re: Mike]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
I really enjoyed this movie and thought he was going on a good message and making the message clear to people it otherwise wouldn't be. My favorite of the wierdos were jews making the sabbath-friendly technology.

However I do feel it could have been better. Don't get me wrong, I like Bill Maher, but I think he can be a bit pompous in the way he puts things together. The whole section where he was talking about his personal experience with religion with his family was completely pointless and really contributed nothing. This movie should have had nothing to do with Bill Maher personally.

I did like how it showed the crazies and the more intelligent believers alike like Mike was quoting with Father George Coyne and such. I think it does come off as a lot more fair and showed integrity the way he gave the people some respect.

The fact that he, while poking fun, wasn't the one to show how stupid or crazy some of these people are. He just set it up so they can show you themselves.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.