Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1772 - 11/11/07 09:07 PM Cigars - they aren't just for blunts!
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I'll take the opportunity to jump in on this one. I love cigars. I probably smoke 3-4 a day. I prefer a maduro to a natural. At this moment I am smoking one of my go to cigars. An El Credito double corona in maduro. This is a secret many don't know. Most of the big name cigar manufacturers have a secondary brand. The cigar I am smoking is a second from La Gloria Cubana. Which is my favorite maker. These makers select cigars that don't quite make the quality check, but are still marketable, and sell them cheaper under a different brand. Hence, El Credito. It's still a La Gloria, but the cigar for whatever reasons, wasn't able to pass the test. So someone like me that smokes a zillion cigars saves a few $$ by buying the seconds. Most times you can't even tell why it couldn't pass the test. Maybe the wrapper wasn't uniform in color. Rolled a little tight or loose. The next time you decide to buy a cigar, inquire about seconds instead. Among my favorite brands are:
La Gloria Cubana(especially the reserves)
Avo
Romeo Y Julietta
Griffin
Camacho
Hoyo de Monterray
La Unica
Henry Clay

I also smoke pipes. I have about 12 pipes. Four meerschaums. One of which is so large I have to balance it on something to hold it up. You never want to touch a meerschaum with your hands as this puts body oil on the pipe and won't allow it to color properly. I have a small skull, a dragon, a turbin Arab guy head, and the mother of all pipes, a foot long Arab head. Some of the others include a limited edition St Patrick's day pipe with sterling silver accent, a couple of wood ones that color with each time you smoke them, and a hooka.

#1776 - 11/11/07 09:16 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: fakepropht]
Meq Offline
Banned

I've never really taken to cigars - I tried a pack of Hamlet, they tasted like shit.

Maybe there's an acquired taste involved here?
Though for health reasons, I aim to abstain from tobacco ;\)

#1794 - 11/12/07 09:43 AM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: Meq]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Every body and their brother seems to give me the Romeo Y Julieta Romeo No. 3. You know, the one in the little aluminum tube. Not a bad little Cuban but I do prefer a double corona with a more oily wrapper.

To date, the best Cuban I have had (and I am no expert) is the Cohiba. It may the only cigar that I could re-light without it tasting like an ashtray. I got one years ago from a guy in the Canadian Army. I have pretty much stayed with it.

For US legal cigars the Avo is pretty good.

As for a cigar drink, lately I have taken to Johnnie Walker Red Label. Nothing remarkable about Johnnie Walker (the worlds most common scotch) but it just seems a good match for cigars.

#1822 - 11/12/07 09:55 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: Fist]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
They're tough to find, but I enjoy Astral cigars. Fuente "Short Story" cigars are great when I don't have the time to enjoy a full cigar. I'm more of a pipe smoker and thoroughly enjoy the Virginia Blend made exclusively at one of Minneapolis' fine tobacconists. I find that Balvine 12-year scotch makes an excellent match for either.

#1825 - 11/12/07 11:20 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: Fist]
Big Slick

I find a good sipping tequila pairs nicely with a cigar. Nothing like Jose Cuervo. More along the lines of a Herradura or Patron. If the bottle costs less than $50, it isn't a sipping tequila.

Fist, you should never let a cigar burn out. No matter how fine it is, it will eventually taste like ass if you keep relighting it. They are meant to be smoked from start to finish in one session. Should you need to let a cigar burn out, blow through it first. Get as much smoke out as you can. This will help preserve the flavor.

Note to first time pipe smokers. Do not go for the cherry blends. They have a strong tongue bite. I know a lot of first time pipe smokers that jump right in to the cherry blends. Then their mouths and tongues get burnt. Cherry burns hotter than other blends. This ruins the experience for the newbie, and they end up giving up too soon. I recommend going for a blend high in ebony. It burns cooler and will give a new person time to become used to a pipe smoke.

#1829 - 11/13/07 01:19 AM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: fakepropht]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
I agree on the cherry issue. Actually, I find that most flavored pipe tobacco gets syrupy in the bottom of the bowl...that leads to some nasty draws. This is why I usually go for a mellow, natural blend of cavandish without any added flavors. I find that a half-bent pipe is the best for smoking as it's well balanced and even on the draw...I like Savenelli pipes from Italy.

#1831 - 11/13/07 02:21 AM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: fakepropht]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Loc: Washington State
I know nothing of smoking cigars, except that my uncle is kind of a unique smoker. He does let them burn out and relights them constantly, because he has one cigar for every room or place that he'll be. At family gatherings, he'll have one on a table near the entrance, one on the mantle in the living room, one in the kitchen, one in the den by the couch and one by the bar, and at least two or three balanced precariously outside on fence posts near the outdoor activities. It's kind of fun to watch.
#1907 - 11/14/07 07:25 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: fakepropht]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Oh, I would never intentionally let a cigar burn out - but shit happens!

#1935 - 11/15/07 08:10 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: undeadridinghood]
Big Slick

Are we related? I will often do the same thing. If I light a cigar and I don't like it's draw, I will set it somewhere to come back to. Then I will light a new one. Repeat until I get the draw I like. If they are just plain unsmokable, I will toss it. My wife will yell at me because I have several cigars scattered around in various states of smoking. I am the king of balancing them as well. Any surface that isn't curved serves as a place to balance them.

Perhaps some night when I have had more than my share of adult beverages, I might don my smoking jacket, light up a cigar and/or pipe, and pose for a few pics. Maybe even kick up the swank meter a few and pose with my antique zebra striped bar, sipping a libatation from an antique serving set, and wearing my antique smoking jacket.

#1940 - 11/15/07 10:50 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: fakepropht]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Has anyone here ever tried the traditional hookah with the heavy tobacco? In Saudi Arabia they kept it lit with a small graphite briquette. Sometimes it is smoked with orange peels dipped in what I can only call a tobacco resin that looked like roofing tar.

I am not sure what the nicotine level is, but actually makes me sweat.

#2001 - 11/18/07 08:34 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: Fist]
Big Slick

I have a hookah. Mine uses the same method for lighting. A small charcoal disk is lit and placed on top of the tobacco. I use flavored tobacco. It has the consistancy of moist chewing tobacco. Very wet and mashed together. Mine is filtered through water. Much like a bong. I have to say my experience with mine leaves me lacking. I get a very cool smoke with lots of flavor. But as far as smoke quantity, it is minimal. Compared to smoking a cigar, my hookah seems to spit out about as much smoke as one of those skinny ass Capri cigarettes. Which leaves me puffing and puffing for something of substance. I gave up on mine. Maybe it is the make of the pipe. Though I have tried others and also been left lacking. Perhaps it was just the tobacco. Maybe I should try to find this Saudi resin and see what I get from that.

#2016 - 11/19/07 09:28 AM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: fakepropht]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
Exactly! I feel that I'm just struggling to get a decent amount of smoke to get into my lungs. I used to wonder how some people would take these long extended pulls and now we know why.

I'm no expert, but I think after trying a few Cubans and Dominicans that Dominicans are just as good as Cubans. Maybe people think Cubans are better because of the fact that they're illegal.

#35496 - 02/11/10 10:31 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: fakepropht]
Simon Jester Offline
stranger

The Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona is a nice smoke.

But if given an option, the Vegas Robaina Unicos and Padron Perfecto Maduro are a couple of the very best. The 40th and 80th anniversary series are spectacular. Maduro or Natural.

#35548 - 02/12/10 01:04 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Zorg Offline
stranger

Loc: A Galaxy Far, Far Away
 Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel

I know next to nothing about cigars, only that half-smoked ones that are re-lit indeed taste like recycled ass. Dry ones aren't nice either. Suggestions?

I keep the cellophane wrappers to store a partially smoked cigar, and tape the open end shut. It must be smoked in the next day or so.
NEVER inhale cigar smoke.
Try Romeo y Julieta. I have a box of them stored between cedar sheets. Smoky goodness!
NEVER spend less than $6 on a cigar. You do get what you pay for.

EDIT...Cigars taste better with a scotch in the other hand, and a blonde on your lap. ;\)

"Plato was a bore."
Friedrich Nietzsche

#35549 - 02/12/10 01:15 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: Zorg]
Jake999 Offline

I always wanted to ask Bill Clinton... Who smoked that cigar????

But I digress.

Since my sense of smell is shot, cigars don't really do anything for me. I USED to like the smell of a GOOD cigar, but so many people thought that they could buy quality for a quarter when they first got really trendy that being in a room of people puffing away was like being in the San Quentin gas chamber.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.