Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#35555 - 02/12/10 02:45 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Zorg Offline
stranger

Loc: A Galaxy Far, Far Away
 Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel

Now, the only conundrum I face is how to make the missus actually *sit* on my lap while I indulge in her two least favourite things; cigars and Scotch.

Don't you know any other blondes?

"Plato was a bore."
Friedrich Nietzsche

#35556 - 02/12/10 02:48 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Autodidact Offline

I get mine from jrcigars.com, but there are many other places. JR has five-packs, and lots of deals.

I'm only an amateur scotch-drinker, and I'm currently on an anti-single-malt kick, but here's what I like:

Romeo & Julieta, Reserva Real and Hedonism (a Compass Box Whiskey)
Montecristo and Peat Monster (another Compass Box Whiskey)

#35558 - 02/12/10 02:52 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Zorg Offline
stranger

I have to pretty much wash mny beard after a smoke. My wife has asthma. But she DOES love scotch! More importantly...she's a blonde.

She did buy me a box of my my favorite cigars. She encourages my vices...especially when SHE is involved.

"Plato was a bore."
Friedrich Nietzsche

#35559 - 02/12/10 02:52 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel

Now, the only conundrum I face is how to make the missus actually *sit* on my lap while I indulge in her two least favourite things; cigars and Scotch.

Try it naked. If that doesn't work, you're doomed \:\)

As for the celophane, you can always buy a humidor. They come in smaller sizes now. If you're only smoking a few a year, you could even use a 3-5 cigar travel humidor.

#35561 - 02/12/10 03:02 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I'm not a big cigar smoker but when I do smoke them I usually go with the Backwoods hand-rolled Wild Rum flavor. They aren't too expensive and they taste good. An ex-girlfriend bought me a $75 cigar once complete with a Zippo that had a gold dragon on it. The cigar came in a glass tube and after smoking it I couldn't see why it was so damned expensive. Maybe my taste isn't refined enough. The Zippo ended up getting stolen and sold for drugs; the person who stole it was administered a proper beat down but that is another story for another time.

I do have a funny cigar related story though that goes back to the summer of 03: Two friends and I decided that we wanted to drink and play cards. Being that we were only about 17 at the time we were willing to drink just about anything as long as it was alcohol. We ended up getting some dirt cheap rum, so cheap that it didn't even warrant the classification of "bottom shelf". In addition to that one of my friends also bought a cheap cigar from a gas station. It only cost him a dollar and was like 6 inches long and 3 inches around. Long story short, while taking shots and playing cards my friend was smoking his cigar like it was a cigarette. It must have taken him all of 15 minutes to suck that thing down. Unfortunately for him he spent the next four hours face down in the back yard puking. My other friend and I were quite amused by it, but I doubt he was.

#35566 - 02/12/10 05:07 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
Iím a philistine.

I despise cigars. Iím more of a hand rolled cigarette guy ( a throw back from my time a uni student perhaps).

They just take too long to smoke, smell like ass rape and taste like the aftermath of the aforementioned assault.

They do look very sinister when smoked in the right context, but, alas, not for me.

#35571 - 02/12/10 07:17 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: Zorg]
Simon Jester Offline
stranger

Quote:
NEVER inhale cigar smoke.

This is a bit of superstition, I can assure you.

Good Chianti and Port are fine alternatives to Scotch. Rum, Brandy or even a nice brew can work.

#35580 - 02/12/10 09:44 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: Simon Jester]
Zorg Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Simon Jester
 Quote:
NEVER inhale cigar smoke.

This is a bit of superstition, I can assure you.

Good Chianti and Port are fine alternatives to Scotch. Rum, Brandy or even a nice brew can work.

What!? Something not Scotch? Blasphemy!

"Plato was a bore."
Friedrich Nietzsche

#51899 - 03/29/11 01:39 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: Jake999]
Hegesias Offline

I don't smoke, yet having lit the cigar with a match in my left hand, I inhaled a large drag and blew streams of smoke into the jar of paid for grave soil while speaking the words "Confusion. Sickness. Pain". I closed the jar upon the absolute last remains of smoke, then left the burning cigar and the smashed jar in front of that house.

A conclusion came to pass. Shame my sisters dog passed afterwards too, it seems there was more to pay.

#55225 - 05/30/11 06:46 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: fakepropht]
Goliath Offline
pledge

I don't often smoke cigars, though I have a tried a few, ranging from an expensive Cuban to a packet of Backwoods.

I am, however, a dedicated pipe smoker: I currently have about fourteen pipes in regular rotation. Most of these are fairly inexpensive, but I do have a couple of Brigham Lowlanders with silver bands, a Butz-Choquin calabash, and a Stanwell churchwarden--a long-stemmed pipe that a fantasy wizard might smoke.

As cliche as it sounds, it really does help me think. A pipe is basically a pacifier for an adult--or meditation, with the risk of cancer.

What fakepropht said about cherry tobacco was good advice, especially since novice pipe smokers tend to prefer flavoured and aromatic tobaccos. Also, watch out for anything by Mac Baren, which some pipe smokers have nicknamed Mac Blowtorch. MB's Mixture is popular and easy to find, but it burns hot as hell (and not in a good, Satanic way). I would personally advise new pipe smokers to try Captain Black, which smells nice and burns cool.

Personally, I think tobacco smoke should taste and smell like tobacco smoke--not cherry or vanilla. So I've come to prefer Virginia-Perique blends like Davidoff flake medallions, Ducados, Solani virginia flake, G L Pease Fillmore, and Former's straight grain flake. Straight burleys are nice too.

#55425 - 06/02/11 10:59 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: Goliath]
Goliath Offline
pledge

I just realized I made a small mistake here--I should have said 'Escudos,' not 'Ducados'. Ducados are a brand of Spanish cigarettes which I tried a few times, when I still smoked cigarettes. I've only started smoking Escudos recently--too recently to get its name straight, apparently.

#55893 - 06/16/11 04:50 AM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: fakepropht]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I don't smoke normally, but once in a month or 2 I tend to stick up a cigar. I've tried quite a few such as the Romeo y Guilleta, Habanos,..
The current ones I have in stock are from the Dominican Republic (Corona, handmade). Pretty good taste and have quite a good quality for what they have costed. (Package of 12 for 35 euros).

#57842 - 07/30/11 07:50 PM Re: Cigars - they aren't just for blunts! [Re: fakepropht]
Robert O. Offline
stranger

I had similar issues with my Hookah (my preferred smoke).

The best way to get plenty of smoke from it is to make sure that your tin foil is stretched very tightly over you bowl, then add several smaller charcoal bricks instead of one large one. After about 15 minutes move them around and shake the ash into the tray.

Works every time for me.

I also enjoy Cigars though very rarely can I get my grubby little hands on anything good.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 26 queries. Zlib compression disabled.