Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1777 - 11/11/07 09:17 PM Boston Iced Tea
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Not the most interesting drink, I know, but I went to Red Lobster for dinner tonight and ordered their Boston Iced Tea--I'd forgotten how good it was.

Brewed Tea (a coffee maker is the easiest way to do large quantities)
Sweetened Cranberry Juice
Slice of Orange

*Basically, pour the tea over ice (not hot, put it in a pitcher in the refridgerator overnight).
*Add, say, an ounce or two of cranberry juice.
*Squeeze in a slice of orange.
*Sweeten to taste (I use Splenda to sweeten cold drinks).
*Give it a good stir and stick a straw in it.

Makes for a very refreshing drink.

#1793 - 11/12/07 09:24 AM Re: Boston Iced Tea [Re: Nemesis]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Hmmm, Slenda to replace sugar or simple syrup?

Interesting. I may have to explore this.

I drink diet coke and can't really stand regular coke. But, I can't stand a rum and coke make with diet coke. I love the Mojito but it easily has as much sugar as a soda.

For taste and texture, mixed drinks just seem to need real sugar. I wonder if Splenda would do the trick.

#3182 - 01/07/08 12:29 AM Re: Boston Iced Tea [Re: Fist]
Meq Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: Fist
For taste and texture, mixed drinks just seem to need real sugar. I wonder if Splenda would do the trick.

Where extra sweetness is required in mixed drinks, I tend to use a mixture of real sugar (white/brown or alternatively honey) and sweetener, depending on the desired taste and calorific value.

It's a trade-off between taste and calories (though sweeteners can have nasty side-effects of their own).
Naturally, find the quantities of each which suit your palate (and waistline).

I find a sugar/sweetener mix goes well when mixing tea with coffee - for a 'Cofftea'.
Not quite my cup of tea, excuse the pun, but this could be a good caffeine hit if made strong enough, necessitating some extra sweetening... though IMO it tastes like shit if too strong.

#3189 - 01/07/08 07:12 AM Re: Boston Iced Tea [Re: Fist]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Splenda is the closest thing I've found so far that tastes good, and doesn't leave that filthy "sweetener" aftertaste in your mouth. I don't like using it to sweeten hot drinks, since sugar dissolves easily in them, and I can taste the difference a bit more readily.

Honey is the best sweetener for tea, imo. But it still doesn't dissolve well in iced drinks. You'd have to mix it in with the freshly brewed tea, then refridgerate it.

I'd rather have no coke than a diet coke, and even that Coke Zero tastes like shit. I know what you mean about the rum and coke. I think it tastes so bad because rum is essentially made from sugar, and when you mix it with an artificially sweetened drink--bleah. Mmmmmm, mojitos are my favorite. Not sure how it would taste with Splenda. though. Let the experimentation commence!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 17 queries. Zlib compression disabled.