Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#17892 - 01/09/09 11:03 AM Derren Brown: Sťance
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I discovered these today. As a skeptic I do find this fascinating for a multitude of reasons, if not only because he does seem to be able to 'push' me into directions he wants without having a clue it is happening. And it might explain a lot about 'occult' happenings.

D.

#17927 - 01/10/09 12:18 AM Re: Derren Brown: Sťance [Re: Diavolo]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

The power of suggestion is certainly a strong one. I found myself wondering why you don't see the CCTV video from when the guy was tied down and the curtain moved. Sure we can see the video from when the first person was behind the "spirit curtain", but we can't see the video from the second person behind the curtain.

Concerning the bit with the pictures: I remember from years ago a "magician" on TV performing the same trick. The difference being; instead of black and white photos there were pictures of girl and guy celebrities. It sure was intersing though, as Diavlo pointed out, the way he was able to "push me into the direction he wants".

#17933 - 01/10/09 04:56 AM Re: Derren Brown: Sťance [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I think he does not want to reveal everything, he does make a living with this stuff. What I find remarkable is how he sets up the scene and after a while, the people involved just seem to carry it further on their own. Makes me wonder about haunted houses, the same principle applies there, the scene is set by all the stories, the environment and emotions. Then enter a susceptible human and he might invoke the happenings himself.

If you like this, check out his Messiah one. Instant conversion to christianity and psychic readings. He takes on a couple of believers in the USA and lets them think he's the real thing while just using his party tricks. At no point they even wonder if it's a trick. Says a lot about the will to believe.

Two things I wonder when seeing him do his stuff:
1: How is he doing it?
2: Why am I not doing it?

D.

#17942 - 01/10/09 11:14 AM Re: Derren Brown: Sťance [Re: Diavolo]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
See now what this guy here is doing is lesser magic honed to be as sharp as a razor;true applied psychology. After the picture scene, I too started on Jane. Starting on Jane his little 'pick the next black and white to the left, next colored one diagonal' etc etc routine was easy to spot, because it lead in a very linear circle back to the starting point..ie Jane. What exactly he did to push my mind in that direction to start there is still a mystery.

I have to say though..that unconscious fraud looked like bullshit. What could possibly be the mechanics of something like that?

#17943 - 01/10/09 11:25 AM Re: Derren Brown: Sťance [Re: Dan_Dread]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I have no clue what he exactly does but he applies every nifty psychological trick in the book. Some of his stuff is explained by others as NLP but he does things at times that just don't seem logical or plausible at all. Of course from the perception that nothing is really staged.
I think his unconscious fraud is actually some sort of trance he induced. I've seen other movies of him where he does that. Always made me wonder how you get someone in trance that fast but some seem to be able.

I've seen "the heist" today where he leads some subjects that far that they rob a fucking money transport without them ever knowing he put everything in stage and all manipulation lead to that goal.

D.

#17963 - 01/10/09 09:24 PM Re: Derren Brown: Sťance [Re: Diavolo]
Fabiano Offline

Thnaks for posting this D. I found it very interresting (like the Crowley's life).

It made me think to the Forer effect (or Barnum effect) causing the acceptance of any vague pesonality description if presented as tailored to the subject. This explaining, for instance, the horoscope.

And I think we can see it operating on this forum! I'm wondering if I did not felt in this trap as well. \:D
One reads TSB and perhaps some other reading and starts to have a vague idea of what is Satanism, and what is a Satanist (or what he should be). He he did that, he probably does have some affinity and is quite open-minded (except if it's a Xian who reads it to observe how evil it is).
Then he comes here and "sincerely" rates the Satanist profile as close to him...

Did you (all) experienced this effect when discovering Satanism? Were you excited by discovering "you're a Satanist"?

#17972 - 01/11/09 06:50 AM Re: Derren Brown: Sťance [Re: Fabiano]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I can't say I got excited at all. I think that's the difference between an Aha-Erlebnis and a conversion. When I discovered Uncle Anton's little book, I was way passed the age that you swap ideas, philosophies and religion as easily as a sweater and much of what I am today was already defined before that 'identification' point.

D.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.