Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#18048 - 01/12/09 07:21 PM Re: 2012 [Re: Dimitri]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I was just reiterating what I heard on the show. Nowhere do I make the claim that the information is 100% accurate, so keep that in mind.

#18060 - 01/12/09 10:24 PM Re: 2012 [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
I think the most interesting thing about it that on 12/21/2012 the sun will be in the exact center of the Milky Way galax. This is an event that, according to astronomers, occurs once every 45,000 years or so. The baffling thing about it is how the Mayan were able to pinpoint that exact date.

This sounds like you believe it... Why would anyone post when you don't even take the time to research what you talking about or believe in it on any level? Why because this is a bullshit cop-out just like the tipping thread where you say something stupid and when you see it is not going your way you need to further clarify yourself, right back out of the equation...

Other than that Jake is correct as I myself have lived past many dates the end of the world was supposed to happen...

~T~

PS. If you are of the belief most Mayan records were destroyed... I will go one further for you and say if true then commonsense would say the portion of the Mayan calendar dealing with dates beyond 2012 were simply destroyed...

Now what the fuck were we talking about?

#18082 - 01/13/09 05:03 AM Re: 2012 [Re: ta2zz]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I got a workplanner here at home that ends at January 15 2010.

Assume for a second our whole civilization here would vaporize tomorrow and that in two months, aliens land and find my little planner. Do you think they'll worry about January 15 2010 being Doomsday?

I find it pretty logical that when you create a calender, you at one point say, this is far enough in the future. If we don't create one that runs endlessly, why would they?

D.

#18084 - 01/13/09 06:05 AM Re: 2012 [Re: Diavolo]
Fabiano Offline

This regards the whole thread, not a response to Diavolo.

Let's suppose the prophecy is true. What does it change? Will you change your life in preparation of this. And how will you prepare?

And if it's not true, we're just wasting our time...

Edited by Fabiano (01/13/09 06:06 AM)

#18086 - 01/13/09 06:21 AM Re: 2012 [Re: Fabiano]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

It's not true, no doubt about that.

What is most strange about this collective doomsday craze is that it doesn't matter at all. Every day can be your doomsday, you can be ran over by a bus, die of a heart attack, get murdered... the options are endless and still, I do see none getting all freaked about that. I see none dig a bunker or flee to a mountaintop in Africa. So why would it suddenly matter if the world comes to an end? If I die, the world dies anyways. Some people that are so worried about 2012 aren't even going to make it that far.
It's a silly subject and anyone even taking this remotely serious should have IDIOT branded on his forehead.

D.

#18087 - 01/13/09 06:38 AM Re: 2012 [Re: ta2zz]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: ta2zz
This sounds like you believe it...

Belief or disbelief was never an issue in any of my posts in this thread.

Why would anyone post when you don't even take the time to research what you talking about or believe in it on any level?

Once again; belief was not an issue. The reason I didn't research it is because I was stating what I saw in the documentary.

Why because this is a bullshit cop-out just like the tipping thread where you say something stupid and when you see it is not going your way you need to further clarify yourself, right back out of the equation...

I fail to see any "cop-out" here, or, in the other thread that you mention. If you ever feel the need to post such an assinine idea; please please please please please reafrain.

PS. If you are of the belief most Mayan records were destroyed... I will go one further for you and say if true then commonsense would say the portion of the Mayan calendar dealing with dates beyond 2012 were simply destroyed......

That is why I said MOST and not ALL

Now what the fuck were we talking about?

I suggest back-tracking and re-reading. If you still do not get it; you are on your own.

#18111 - 01/13/09 01:26 PM Re: 2012 [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
Assume for a second our whole civilization here would vaporize tomorrow and that in two months, aliens land and find my little planner. Do you think they'll worry about January 15 2010 being Doomsday?

If they are alike us..
Probably within their time a new church will be set up, self-sacrifices, theories some new-born ones are actually are us reincarnated on their planet, theories we became beings of pure light and some alien assholes are trying to do the same....
And your planner will contain the date we shall return as pure energy beings and let the aliens ascend to a new state of mind.

Sarcasm and fantasy... just what a man like me needs to be happy apart from food and a descent toilet.

Edited by Dimitri (01/13/09 01:26 PM)

#18413 - 01/18/09 02:19 PM Re: 2012 [Re: Dimitri]
paolo sette Offline

Loc: IL, USA
I'm reading, and thinking; civilizations were wrong with predicting the absolute end of Earth. With over population comes a tax on resources. We only have so much of room, oil, food, etc., and it's just a natural consequence to think that the world will eventually come to an end because we don't have an infinity of the aforementioned things. Now, are groups trying to control individuals by claiming the end is near? I think so...perhaps it's to maintain order or something else.

I like to think that Earth has always been on a slippery slope with coming to a cataclismic end, but it has this nack of bouncing back. I noticed the climatic conditions improved dramatically this year with the temperature and rainfall. All plants remained green during the summer of '08 which astonished me as I have been witnessing vegetation dying preceding this past summer.

I'm 'betting on' our civilization to still be around in 2012, and thereafter.

#18417 - 01/18/09 06:22 PM Re: 2012 [Re: paolo sette]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
The world won't end for a few more million years- and when it does, humanity will either have died out or colonized some other part of space.

But within the next few thousand years, I highly doubt that humanity will be eradicated. Yes, western civilization as we know it will most likely collapse, (probably within the next few centuries), but people who say it's "the end of the world" are SO narrow-minded. "The world" is not limited to a purely human scope, especially not a western one.

If western civilization were ever to collapse, I'd probably end up converting to Islam and moving to some piss-poor village in the middle east to become a goat herder.

#18428 - 01/18/09 11:22 PM Re: 2012 [Re: The Zebu]
Satansfarm Offline

Loc: america
 Originally Posted By: The Zebu
Nowhere in any Mayan record does it regard "2012" as an apocalypse. The calendar does not END there, but rather simply starts a new cycle.

And since the Mayans were an astronomical-minded people, and based their calendar on the stars (duh!), so it should come as no surprise that they picked a year of cosmic significance to cap off their time-cycle.

Yes, this seems to be the most likely explanation. 2012 is just the beginning of a new astrological phase, like the dawn of the age of aquarius (rather catchy tune, that).

As for the hurricanes, volcanoes, wars and rumors of wars, THERE ALWAYS HAVE BEEN hurricanes, volcanoes, wars and rumors of wars.
This end of times stuff is a bunch of bs designed to stress people out.

#18771 - 01/24/09 02:42 PM Re: 2012 [Re: Dimitri]
Marilyn Offline
stranger

this reminds me of something else, were there was this great prediction the ufo's were going to visit us.
it was last year sometime,
as far as i noticed, ET did not visit me.

if i can find the link again, i will post it

-Marilyn

HS!

#18806 - 01/24/09 11:29 PM Re: 2012 [Re: Dan_Dread]
H.setesh Offline
stranger

Loc: Chicago, IL
 Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread
Once you start to take these sorts of things seriously you have lost hold on reality. How exactly do you think these ancient people managed to gain knowledge of the future, when we can not? It is obvious that our science and technology is superior.

It takes a special kind of hubris to assume that our society's technology and science is superior to that of many ancient civilizations. The Mayans developed a calendar system far more advanced than The Julian Calendar, a calendar to which we ascribe without a second thought. The Mayans developed an intuitive understanding of the solar system that saturated their entire culture while the average American can walk out of his or her living quarters while remaining completely oblivious to the fact that there are stars in the sky. The native people of South America also developed a medicinal (classification) system that - in many instances - is far more effective than our own. Western scientists in The Amazon often consult the indigenous peoples of various tribes to learn about potential cures for diseases plaguing us in the "modern" world.

There are also many ancient, unsolved mysteries that indicate the Egyptians possessed knowledge, tools, and/or technology that exceeds our own understanding of the universe. We still have no real clue as to how they built half the shit they built; it's all speculation. Who knows what untold tomes of knowledge rested in The Library of Alexandria before it was set ablaze. There are countless examples of other cultures, ancient or otherwise, that possess knowledge and technologies that are superior to ours. It is presumptuous, narrow-minded, and ethnocentric to assume we are the cat's meow of civilization.

You could benefit from some mental yoga.

Edited by H.setesh (01/24/09 11:39 PM)

#18810 - 01/24/09 11:45 PM Re: 2012 [Re: H.setesh]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Right. And you could benefit by replacing your feet onto terra firma, and pulling your head out of the clouds.

If these ancient technologies are so great, why aren't we still using them? Could it be because they are in fact primitive technologies?

I think you watch too many A&E specials. Technology is progressive.

#18816 - 01/25/09 12:34 AM Re: 2012 [Re: Dan_Dread]
H.setesh Offline
stranger

Loc: Chicago, IL
you could benefit by replacing your feet onto terra firma, and pulling your head out of the clouds.

Logical Fallacy: ad hominem

I think you watch too many A&E specials. Technology is progressive.

Logical Fallacy: ad hominem

If these ancient technologies are so great, why aren't we still using them? Could it be because they are in fact primitive technologies?

We do use them. Look around you. Do you live in a democracy or a republic? Have you ever used a pen, a pencil? Have you looked through a telescope? Do you use reason and logic? I emphasize the last question. Many of the drugs used to treat Parkinson's disease, drug addiction, leukemia and more have been used by indigenous cultures for thousands of years.

Another reason we don't use many ancient technologies is because we're oblivious to them. The limestone blocks made to build The Pyramid of Giza were perfectly square. We have no clue how they made them. Another reason we are not using these technologies today is because it is not professionally expedient for scientists and archaeologists to investigate subjects that contradict popular theory.

I also recommend you refrain from using obvious fallacies like the ad hominem fallacy in your arguments. It belies your insecurities.

Edited by H.setesh (01/25/09 12:35 AM)

#18819 - 01/25/09 01:23 AM Re: 2012 [Re: H.setesh]
Bacchae Offline
Satan's White Trash Neighbor

Loc: los angeles
Ancients also thought demons caused illnesses, and leeches cured them.

I agree with both camps here. I am sure there are many cures, treatments, technologies, and practices that are ignored or covered today, largely because there is no profit in them.
And obviously we cannot construct an identical pyramid.

But at the end of the day.. who cares? We don’t need a city made of stone giants or animal shapes that can be seen from outer space. I couldn’t care less if someone found an ancient nuclear reactor levitation ark of the covenant thing, because todays problems are not the same problems as yesterdays.

On an individual level perhaps, because people haven’t changed much.. but all of the great mysteries that we sit around and scratch our heads over were large scale “state projects” at whatever time in antiquity they were conceived.
And MOST of those were religious and/or spiritually motivated.

As far as 2012 is concerned.. the mayans stole their calendar and astrological technology from the red bearded white god from the sea. I don’t buy everything Graham Hancock has to say, but that tidbit screams with accuracy. California is full of modern day mayans with wailing booger machines on their hips, homemade tattoos on their necks, working for a dollar an hour in the home depot parking lot, and not enough sense, ambition, or fortitude to take care of their problems at home, which happens to be one of the most beautiful and resource rich lands on the planet. I do not believe they have ever, at any point in history, had the capabilities of mapping out the constellations, constructing a calendar, or making accurate prophecies. They didn’t even have the effin WHEEL. They ate humans. They were barbarians, despite whatever romantic myth surrounds them today.

So call me a pessimist (or an optimist?!) but sadly, I don’t believe anything will come out of 2012 except some panic, small scale rioting, and a bunch of hype.
I am much more concerned with a triple front war in the middle east, the rekindling of a cold war because of bush's missile defense program in russia's front yard, and the pending collapse of the dollar.

Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.