Page 1 of 8 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#18002 - 01/11/09 08:57 PM 2012
Butterz Offline
pledge

Loc: Georgia
I have recently been reading up on Nostradamus and other ancient prophecies. Yes I have been bored.

Of what I read from Nostradamus, in 2012 some astrological event will happen causing earthquakes, volcanoes, and tsunami's.

I find this 2012 is the end of the world prophecy quite strange. Even more so that it is the year that the Mayan and Jewish calendars end. I also found that the Hopi Indians had a similar prediction.

I was watching a documentary on the Hopi and they showed and interesting drawing. It was of a group of people at a fork in the road. One side the group stuck together and it shows them all dead. The other side shows one man follow a goat that leads him to food.

In Nostradamus' prophecy he also shows man caught in decision and following a goat to survive. Does anybody think it is possible it is a symbol of LHP vs. RHP? Does anybody here think it is possible the prophecies are true, or is it a simple case of you see what you want to see? What do you think about the 2012 prophecy?

#18003 - 01/11/09 09:12 PM Re: 2012 [Re: Butterz]
Jake999 Offline

The current year on the Hebrew Calendar is about 5069... Maybe they overslept and missed it.

I plan on waking up on December 22, 2012 and laughing my ass off at the current batch of end of the world loonies. They'll be in good company.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrl2.htm

#18005 - 01/11/09 09:17 PM Re: 2012 [Re: Butterz]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I saw some special on The History Channel a few months back on the Mayans and the 2012 doomsday prophecy. It is an interesting subject to be sure, but I don't think there is too much to these predictions in the way of predicting the end of the world.

I think the most interesting thing about it that on 12/21/2012 the sun will be in the exact center of the Milky Way galax. This is an event that, according to astronomers, occurs once every 45,000 years or so. The baffling thing about it is how the Mayan were able to pinpoint that exact date.

Whether or not they knew that it will be happening on that date or it is just a coincidence is still up for speculation. Unfortunately most of the written records kept by the Mayan people were destroyed by the conquistidors and their missionaries who were trying to "save the heathens".

#18006 - 01/11/09 09:18 PM Re: 2012 [Re: Jake999]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Once you start to take these sorts of things seriously you have lost hold on reality. How exactly do you think these ancient people managed to gain knowledge of the future, when we can not? It is obvious that our science and technology is superior.
Perhaps magic?

So to answer, what do I think about it? I don't.

I have far more important things to think about.

#18008 - 01/11/09 09:36 PM Re: 2012 [Re: Dan_Dread]
Butterz Offline
pledge

I understand from a scientific viewpoint it is all just bullshit.
As far is being the end of the world, honestly, nobody knows. What I find intriguing is multiple civilizations, without knowledge of each other, came up with 2012.

Am I going to panic and build a shelter? No.

#18011 - 01/11/09 10:21 PM Re: 2012 [Re: Butterz]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Nowhere in any Mayan record does it regard "2012" as an apocalypse. The calendar does not END there, but rather simply starts a new cycle.

And since the Mayans were an astronomical-minded people, and based their calendar on the stars (duh!), so it should come as no surprise that they picked a year of cosmic significance to cap off their time-cycle.

#18016 - 01/12/09 12:25 AM Re: 2012 [Re: The Zebu]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

No where in any Mayan record does it regard 2012 as anything because the records do not exist.

#18017 - 01/12/09 01:00 AM Re: 2012 [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Butterz Offline
pledge

Are you trying to say the Maya never existed? If there is no record, where did the Mayan calendar come from?

"At a rough estimate, in excess of 10,000 individual texts have so far been recovered, mostly inscribed on stone monuments, lintels, stelae and ceramic pottery. The Maya also produced texts painted on a form of paper manufactured from processed tree-bark, in particular from several species of strangler fig trees"- Wikipedia.org

What surrounds 2012 as far as the Mayan Calendar is the astronomical alignment that only happens every like 40,000 years happening on winter solstice.

Some other things to consider are: Real science is predicting the next/current sun cycle to be the worst in 50 years. The first two sunspot's of 2006 are moving in reverse direction.

NASA has been watching these sunspots as for the first time ever recorded they moving in 2 different directions. Usually they mill move from south to north for 11 years and then switch. Also their locations are not following suit with what has been seen before.

Now when everything is aligned and the sun is doing it's crazy shit I'd be willing to bet something happens. Apocolypse? Probably not. Still should make for some kind of strange cosmic event.

#18019 - 01/12/09 01:16 AM Re: 2012 [Re: Butterz]
Butterz Offline
pledge

Just a quick add on.
Equation: Sunspot Count = Solar Flares = Magnetic Shift = Shifting Ocean/Jet Stream Currents = Extreme Weather

Now factor in the increased magnetic shift caused by the alignment. Now factor in the 1016 asteroids over 100meters in size close enough to be thrown into Earths orbit.

When certain conditions are right there is an increase in chance of variable.

#18022 - 01/12/09 04:10 AM Re: 2012 [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Fabiano Offline

Quote:
I think the most interesting thing about it that on 12/21/2012 the sun will be in the exact center of the Milky Way galax. This is an event that, according to astronomers, occurs once every 45,000 years or so. The baffling thing about it is how the Mayan were able to pinpoint that exact date.

I probably missed something. Looking here I read

Quote:
The Sun (and therefore the Earth and Solar System) may be found close to the inner rim of the Galaxy's Orion Arm, in the Local Fluff or the Gould Belt, at a hypothesized distance of 7.62±0.32 kpc (~25,000±1,000 ly) from the Galactic Center.[30][31][32][33]

I don't see how the Sun could be in the center of our galaxy one day when we know it's turning around its center...

#18023 - 01/12/09 04:17 AM Re: 2012 [Re: Butterz]
Fabiano Offline

Quote:
What surrounds 2012 as far as the Mayan Calendar is the astronomical alignment that only happens every like 40,000 years happening on winter solstice

Which alignment are you talking about exactly? What is aligned every 40,000 years? The sun with some other stars? The earth, the Sun and something else ?

#18025 - 01/12/09 05:22 AM Re: 2012 [Re: Fabiano]
Jake999 Offline

As you stare into the sun on 12/21/12, just before you realize it was a dumb thing to do, as your retinas burn any you are rendered blind, you will be looking directly toward the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.

OF COURSE the whole of the galaxy has been waiting for this exact moment for this small, insignificant planet on a small subspur of the Orion Spur (which is why when you look up into the sky at night you'll probably see... wait for it... Orion) crosses the invisible equatorial line, when the sun is exactly dead center (give or take a million or twelve miles) in the crosshairs of the CENTER OF THE GALAXY!!

Of the billions and billions of stars in this galaxy, and the billions and billions of bodies orbiting these stars in this galaxy, sombody has painted a big target on the planet Earth. BASTARDS!! They could have gotten us last time we crossed... we were only 1 or 12 degrees out of plumb, but the universe is a big believer in symbology, so it's going to go after our Solstice. You asked for it!

Ok. Let's look at it logically. First, the Mayans decided that their calendars would "end" at the solstices. They also restarted at the solstices as well. They were perpetual and, think about it... they carved their calendar on a stone that weighs approximately 24 tons. You don't just grab another 24 ton stone and go to carving if you can avoid it. Second, if the Mayans were so great at prediction, why couldn't they predict when their civilization would implode?

"Chief Owumnatahu!!! The world is going to end in the year 2012!"
"My Shaman... is that important?"
"Well... we'll all be dead then and the Mayans will only be a memory."
"Fuck it. Let's go have a taco."

Every couple of years we have some doom and gloom prediction. Every couple of years we find gullible people falling into the trap of believing it because some prophet or some religious seer says it's going to happen. People sell their stuff and move to live underground with some new agey guru like Liz Claire Prophet who takes their money and laaaaaughs!

The world IS going to end. Someday. Just a fact. Not a damned thing you or I can do about it. Just a fact. Worrying about it is pretty much a waste of time. Just a fact.

#18027 - 01/12/09 06:09 AM Re: 2012 [Re: Jake999]
Fabiano Offline

Thanks for the astronomical clarification Jack! \:\)

Thanks also for the link to Failed prophecies.

It always make me smile to see Xian predicting the end of the world when knowing that Jesus himself said he did not know (but only the father knows).

How pretentious they're in believing they could know something their Messiah ignores \:\)

#18036 - 01/12/09 11:06 AM Re: 2012 [Re: Butterz]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Butterz
Are you trying to say the Maya never existed? If there is no record, where did the Mayan calendar come from?

No, dumbass, I am not trying to say the Maya never existed. That would be an extremely retarded claim to make. I said the records don't exist because, as I said in my first reply to this thread, most were destroyed. Try reading the whole thing before you make assumptions.....dumbass.

Edited by 6Satan6Archist6 (01/12/09 11:10 AM)

#18037 - 01/12/09 12:13 PM Re: 2012 [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
I think the most interesting thing about it that on 12/21/2012 the sun will be in the exact center of the Milky Way galax.

I find this part hard to believe...
Earth has always been a bit into the outer regions of the milky way. And also, there is one little fact which makes it impossible. If I'm not mistaking there is a black hole on that spot. Aren't you sure you meant that the earth is on an exact same position it was 40,000 years ago?
(And just noticed fabiano pointed that out already.)
 Quote:
Equation: Sunspot Count = Solar Flares = Magnetic Shift = Shifting Ocean/Jet Stream Currents = Extreme Weather

Heard that before.. In this modern age with far more advanced technology we can only predict solar flairs 10 minutes or less before they happen. Now I wonder how those ancient civilasations predicted this?

Page 1 of 8 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.