Page 11 of 14 « First<910111213>Last »
Topic Options
#77750 - 07/03/13 11:51 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: Fnord]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Fnord
Is that Crime Story the 80's one that had Del Shannon's Runaway (might not have been Del Shannon singing it though) as the intro theme? If so, I loved that show too. In that time I had 3 old cars I was fixing up and always wanted a '60 Buick and '61 Sport Fury.. Both of which are shown in the show intro.

Yes, CS went on for two seasons, and there's a DVD box set for each. Done by Michael Mann, who also did Miami Vice and the movie The Keep. So it's drenched with atmosphere, lighting effects, and [like MV] a parade of cars - exotics in Vice, classics in CS. And the characters are also over the top. Walter, the shotgun-toting old cop who's seen it all, takes the bad guy out of sight for a few minutes. Then: BLAM BLAM ... "Stop or I'll shoot!" You gotta love it.

#77751 - 07/04/13 12:06 AM Re: What do you watch? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Oh, didn't realize it was Michael Mann. All the better. I think I watched Manhunter 20 times in the 80's. Great visual style. Brian Cox was an effectively creepy first Dr. Lecter.

I was 19-20 at that time.. Would probably view CS with completely different eyes now. Glad you brought it up, I'm to go order the DVD.

#77880 - 07/09/13 11:27 AM Re: What do you watch? [Re: Fnord]
Ken Barrett Offline
stranger

Loc: Devil's Hole, USA
Funny, I was just watching a Crime Story episode I recorded on VHS back in '86. I still prefer Mann's Miami Vice '84 season and Last of the Mohicans as my favorites of his.

When I get in an 80's mood, I pull out the VHS tapes of Ripley's Believe It Or Not, hosted by Jack Palance and his daughter I wanted to marry when I grew-up, Holly. Still takes me back to that early 80s time, including all the commericals. I got about 24 hours worth of it to watch; like fine wine it gets better with age. Thanks to my old man who loved that show and taped it all.

Makes feel like we are about to go to town (1982), play at arcade and then go to Pizza Hut, right before we go see E.T. for the first time. Ahh, America when it was great.

#78474 - 07/24/13 12:58 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: undeadridinghood]
Lucius3O9 Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
stranger

Loc: Georgia
Not a whole lot on television.Historical/Biographical/News Documentaries,Elementary,Hannibal,Luther,Secrets of the Dead,True Crime/Dateline/48Hours.Film Noir,Pre-Code Hollywood,Foreign films, but film in general

#78615 - 07/25/13 02:13 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Lucius3O9 Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
stranger

Crime Story was a great show.

#78616 - 07/25/13 02:14 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Lucius3O9 Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
stranger

I was grateful for that brass bikini as I recall. ;\)

#78619 - 07/25/13 02:35 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: Lucius3O9]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
You had better cut the shit with the one-liners or the Mods are gonna gitchu!

I don't watch much 'tv', mostly Internet-based stuff (I have Roku). I don't even have cable. I loved the Hannibal Series, Walking-Dead, and Bates Motel was pretty good too. Lately I've been watching Dexter and True Blood.

The new seasons are off to a decent start.

I love True Crime and Documentaries mostly, even if they are riddled with false info and inaccuracies. At the very least it's a decent test of personal knowledge on a subject. Detecting the bunk info therein.

#78620 - 07/25/13 02:44 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: SIN3]
Lucius3O9 Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
stranger

I'll try and do 'better'
Well You know I like True Crime and Documentaries,although they are indeed sometimes RIDDLED with false info and downright slanted reporting.Secrets of the Dead on PBS.Hannibal,of course.Elementary.I own the first season of True Blood, but that's all I could stand as I thought it was silly.I thought 'Eric' was cool and loved 'Lafayette'.Luther on BBC is great,Arrow is pretty entertaining too, but again I don't watch much tv.

#78621 - 07/25/13 02:51 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: Lucius3O9]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

There is a silly element to True Blood, it's like good campy. I'd not read the Books, so when it turned out the Sooky was Fae, I was like, da fuq? I kept watching though, and grew to enjoy the series.

I love LaFayett's character, 'La La', "Satan in a Sunday Hat...", that cracked me up when he dropped that line. The timing was fantastic.

#78622 - 07/25/13 02:54 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: SIN3]
Lucius3O9 Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
stranger

Yeah,It's SO campy but most of the vampire stories are kind of silly of late.I'd like to see a show delve no holds barred into the sinister.

#78623 - 07/25/13 02:57 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: Lucius3O9]
Fnord Offline

Originally Posted By: Lucius3O9
I'll try and do 'better'

I would appreciate it if you would. It's one thing I'm asked to enforce. Obviously you aren't the average joe who walks in textspeaking 'lookn for rituelz, yo, hit me up' but we do have good reason for the rule and it has served us well in the past.

Thank you

#78626 - 07/25/13 03:05 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: Fnord]
Lucius3O9 Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
stranger

Yeah,No Problem.I get it.You don't want nonsense talk on here.I try to add to the conversation as much as I can.That was just one instance when I thought one sentence said more than a paragraph.

#78629 - 07/25/13 03:17 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: Lucius3O9]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Lucius3O9
Yeah,It's SO campy but most of the vampire stories are kind of silly of late.I'd like to see a show delve no holds barred into the sinister.

I'd like to see more shows where the Bad-guy wins, that's not really popular. Though, some of the shows the glorify the Killer as in Hannibal and Dexter are gaining popularity. I'm sure the end punch-line will involve a Hero.

#78630 - 07/25/13 03:32 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: SIN3]
Lucius3O9 Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
stranger

Exactly What I want to see. Because The Good Guy winning in the end is exactly how life works \:\/ .Here's the thing, people watch television and most movies, not simply to be entertained, but reassured.Reassured that their pretty little world is full of pretty,'nice people' and all the 'bad people' are defeated in the end.And Everyone - who's 'good' that is - lives happily ever after.

#78639 - 07/25/13 05:45 PM Re: What do you watch? [Re: Lucius3O9]
Fnord Offline

No crime in using it (one liners) judiciously.

Like I said, your contributions here have already identified you as a non mouth breather.

For some it becomes a way of life and we have to show them the door. If I call them out and not you, for example, it makes it look like we have special snowflakes here. Politics man.

Page 11 of 14 « First<910111213>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.017 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.