Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#18164 - 01/14/09 11:11 AM Yankee Rose
Daafje666 Offline
pledge

Loc: The Netherlands
As most of you know, LaVey ended the Satanic Bible with the 2 words "Yankee Rose"

There are many speculations of what it means and why he wrote it. I'm curious, what is your speculation/theory?
Do you believe it's a clue?

#18170 - 01/14/09 11:57 AM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Daafje666]
Jake999 Offline

Do a little research.

That "secret" has been out of the box for many years.

#18189 - 01/14/09 03:31 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Jake999]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Just to be devils advocate here for a second, I have no idea what it means either. The official 'Church of Satan' stance is that he wished the meaning kept secret, and aside from that my best guess is that it had something to do with the song of the same name he (reportedly) often closed his sets with.

Aside from that it has been reported that 'yankee rose' was some sort of ghost ship, but that's all rather vague too.

I'm not even sure if the phrase has any significance at all.

#18192 - 01/14/09 04:02 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Daafje666]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Dr. LaVey, had a good sense of humor, and was a bit of a prankster as well. Perhaps his intentions were merely for people to keep guessing.

Or perhaps, it had some deeper meaning to him, and a few others he shared his life with, and he was saying something to those people.

I doubt that even if I could bring him back from the dead, and have him tell me exactly what it means, that it would have much meaning to me, nor would it fill my bank account to its limmit.

#18197 - 01/14/09 06:29 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Asmedious]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I think he just slapped it in at the end to add a little bit of mystery to the book.

It probably has some obscure meaning, but most likely of little consequence.

#18209 - 01/14/09 11:31 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Dan_Dread]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
I have always thought that The "Yankee Rose" at the end of the SB had a connection to the way he reportedly closed his sets as well- that maybe LaVey likened creating the concept and writing the book to a non-musical performance, and the "Yankee Rose" was just his ironic way of "Closing the Set"

Also, the fact that people are still guessing about those two words over four decades after he wrote the SB, would no doubt be an immense source of amusement to LaVey if he was still with us today.

Maybe it was a personal experiment to see if the masses could be "confounded and confused" by an external source with almost no effort required- In The Doc's case, two well placed words in a book, with no accompanying explanation did that easily....

It could only have assisted in fueling his enthusiasm for further practical application in Lesser Magic, whatever his original reasons were for placing the words there.

#18212 - 01/14/09 11:59 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Daafje666]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
To echo Jake, that secret has indeed been out of the bag for years. You just have to spend more than 3 minutes searching wiki. Also, I swear there was a thread about this topic here already. Must have been v1 or v2. Maybe someone with longterm memory can answer that. I know this topic was covered previously.

#18213 - 01/15/09 12:07 AM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: fakepropht]
Jake999 Offline

He also sometimes closed the Cloven Hoof with "Nov Shmoz Kapop?" Secret Satanic message? No. Smokey Stover.

#18214 - 01/15/09 12:11 AM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Daafje666]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

It is the answer to the question, What are the last two words on page 272 in your Satanic Bible?

That was one of the questions that I had to answer when I first joined this site... I remember trying to join at work then having to wait to get home only to see the answer was Yankee Rose... I think that was V2 (the last one)...

That and the title probation for the first 50 posts made you want to keep questions such as these in 101 where they belong...

~T~

"Are you ready for the new sensation?"

#19501 - 02/01/09 02:50 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: ta2zz]
paolo sette Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Let's see... Yankee Rose comes at the end of TSB, and is a melodic tune. One deduction is: We know that LaVey loved music, playing in many venues of sorts.

My guess is sometime pre-1960, when he was playing the organ for a fee, he came accross a tune called Yankee Rose. After playing it for the first time in front of an audience, he decided to make the CoS. Thus, going about a new religion, and all it entails.

#19503 - 02/01/09 03:06 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: paolo sette]
Jake999 Offline

BUZZZZZZZ!!!

The Unofficial official historically hysterical clown rushes from off stage and removes Paolo Sette's left testicle. Time for the speed round. It's double or nothin'!

#19525 - 02/02/09 05:13 AM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: paolo sette]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
Damn you to heaven Paolo, that is the SECOND time I've sprayed my lap-top with a mouthful of coffee thanks to one of your posts.

Interesting concept, and extremely amusing! \:D

#19768 - 02/06/09 02:12 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: spiderbreeder]
joseph oreilly Offline
Incomprehensible--Banned
pledge

Probably because his main talent was organ music yet what better way to approach the devil than that? Can you think of anything more suitable for damnation?
#19813 - 02/06/09 07:33 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: joseph oreilly]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Well, what about Disco & polka music?
That seems more torturous to me.

They play organ music in Xitan churches and they don't think they are going to hell.

Morgan

#19822 - 02/06/09 09:50 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Morgan]
Jake999 Offline

Having heard Dr. LaVey play the organ on many occasions, I can think of a hell of a lot worse sounds.

The organ is actually quite "satanic" as instruments go, because it is the only instrument that becomes what it needs to be to get its message across. It can sound like the oboe, wind whispering through the mellow tones, or carry undertones of trumpets, or drums far distant and coming to the fore... it can be sweet or it can rage. In the hands of a master, it can touch "the soul."

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.