Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#20297 - 02/13/09 12:47 AM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Jake999]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
"Yankee Rose", as Ta2zz alluded, was a song written by David Lee Roth and Steve Vai. LaVey could astrally project himself into the future... and he knew it would be a big hit in the 80's...

#20335 - 02/13/09 11:10 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: daevid777]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
And I still play that song. :::stuffing a sock in my spandex and doing some karate chops:::: "I'm talking bout a Yankee Roooose" Youtube video to follow.

#71197 - 09/23/12 01:20 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Jake999]
Le Deluge Offline

Greetings Ladies and Gents! Welcome to the hungry i! Tonight, the answer to the secret that never was:

We've seen roses grow almost ev'ry where, but you're one we Yankee rose so true, how we all love you, and we're proud to say ....

On Organ Tonight ... Anton LaVey

#71218 - 09/24/12 01:27 AM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Le Deluge]
Naama Offline

Loc: NewYork
Perhaps, such whimsical words were there for the purpose to make his readers understand that a whole context of a book should not be taken too literally...
unlike a regular Bible is perceived literally.
(there was this spy movie where a spy explains that very last information - usually stays in mind)
Now, why exactly this song with the words: "rose"... oh, well, because its a queen of flowers, and why "yankee", or because its "american" and blah-blah-blah...
maybe he liked the song

#71227 - 09/24/12 02:56 AM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Naama]
Le Deluge Offline

Yankee Rose was one of the standard organ tunes he'd play at gigs. I think he just liked the song. I doubt it had much meaning beyond that. The 2 words would be speculated on as if they were "Rosebud" from Citizen Kane. It probably was a playful touch on his part. I'm sure he knew it could have the odd effect it did. It really never was a secret though. Coming across the sheet music reminded me that folks still asked about "Yankee Rose"

#76238 - 05/01/13 10:32 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Daafje666]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Re YR see pages #88-89 of my Church of Satan, along with Plate #18.

Mr. Flood, that's a much nicer picture of the cover of YR than the one I used. Mind if I replace it with yours if I update again?

#76240 - 05/01/13 11:41 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Le Deluge Offline

Sure. No problem. You can certainly use it. I checked out 88-89. I can't offer anything additional. He just liked ending gigs with the tune. Its actually pretty nice on organ.

Edited by Le Deluge (05/02/13 12:32 AM)

#76244 - 05/02/13 07:52 AM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Le Deluge]
KenazFilan Offline
stranger

Mr. Emmanuel: you live in the heart of Yorubaland. Yoruba magic and religion had an enormous impact on Cuban and Brazilian spirituality and a lesser but still huge impact on Haitian Vodou. Why not share with us some stories about the Ifa traditions and about Nigerian folk practices? Once you've provided some information about Witchcraft, the Second World, etc. I'm sure you'll find people on here will be more willing to help you.

Kudos to Dr. Aquino and Zeena Schreck for solving the "Yankee Rose" mystery. Zeena's explanation is credible, fits the known facts and answers the question better than any other theory proffered to date. When you're writing Anton LaVey's biography that's generally as good as it gets.

#76561 - 05/22/13 02:48 AM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Daafje666]
Rivenstar Offline
stranger

Loc: The city of sin.
Short answer - Yes!

Longer answer - I think that in order to understand what Anton meant by Yankee Rose, one must look at its placement within the Satanic Bible, as well as the self perceptions of the man who wrote it.

Personaly I like to use it as a mantra in my meditations.

#76565 - 05/22/13 08:05 AM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Rivenstar]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
Initially, I considered it like the final period at the end of his manifesto. Much like he had a disdain for Thelemites discussing Liber Al vel Legis (and the Thelemites), he figured Satanists would end up in a perpetual state of Wax Philosophical as to its meaning. Much like Crowley added 'The Comment', he finished it off with 'Yankee Rose'.

I don't really care what it means, or was intended to mean according to the Super-sleuths. It's quite irrelevant to me, mine and so forth.

#76613 - 05/23/13 05:30 PM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: SIN3]
Desdemona0097 Offline
lurker

Loc: United States
I personally think it could be related to his music or something he witnessed in his younger years, maybe a nickname for a lost love. Though it could also be a crude inside joke that no one would ever understand. There's another possibility that it could be completely meaningless or the meaning could go deeper than we seem to think. The scientific name for Rose would be Genus Rosa, the root of genus being 'Gen' meaning 'race and kind of' and Yankee meaning 'from the northern states'. If you simply put these definitions together not much sense comes from it but if you think more of it then you see that he could've been referring to a certain type of rose that only grows in a certain northern state. Whatever it may be "Yankee Rose" certainly is a mystery that may never be understood entirely.
#76628 - 05/24/13 08:32 AM Re: Yankee Rose [Re: Desdemona0097]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
How important is it to you personally?

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.