Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#18406 - 01/18/09 11:30 AM Re: Positive Satanism [Re: Mike]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Higher is such a non-word in this case. You can't compare the amount of control between two people because you simply can't see inside their mind. You can accuse a church-goer of having no control about things while he might play the game and very much control those aspects.
It's the same with Buddhist monks. While you can say he's totally awesome because he can control his body temperature, I can say he lacks control because memes make him impotent.
I think controlling the subconscious is a myth. Lucid dreaming ok, I'm not disagreeing there but to control the subconscious, you'd have to know what the subconscious is doing and if all that information would be processed by your conscious part, I'd fear you'd burn it. If it could handle that stream of information, there hardly would be a need for the subconscious part.

D.

#18407 - 01/18/09 11:34 AM Re: Positive Satanism [Re: Fist]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I agree that self-control can be overrated, as is the case with rationality. At times one just needs to let go but it still would be sensible to have control over the "let or not let go" part.

I don't think you restrain desire by maintaining enough control to actually decide if you're going for it or not. If you lack that control, well, I guess that's what they call addiction.

D.

#18408 - 01/18/09 11:50 AM Re: Positive Satanism [Re: Diavolo]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
As with any art, Blake touches on some key principles - it is metaphor. I think any initiate to the LHP would do well to read the whole poem.

As you (and Blake) point out, control for it's own sake leads to impotence. Mastery without vitality is of little value.

The Buddhist monk seeks self-mastery to disassociate himself from his body because he views his earthly self to have little value. The Satanist values himself and earthly pleasure, and he only exercises control (in it's various forms) as it serves his purpose.

#18409 - 01/18/09 12:09 PM Re: Positive Satanism [Re: Fist]
Fabiano Offline

Lack of control is also impulsivity, and it's useful to be able to control it. Else, you're just controled by your emotions.

This kind of self-control is also part of epicurism, a philosophy which tends to maximize the pleasures...

Buddhists seek for self-control for being able to put in practice his philosophy, for instance cultivating the compassion.

But this is appliable to any philosophy, self-control is a tool for reaching goals. For instance, it is said that Vengeance is a dish best served cold. How do you want to have it cold if you cannot control your impulsivity?

#18620 - 01/22/09 04:44 PM Re: Positive Satanism [Re: GarrettProAudio]
Jerry Offline
lurker

in my opinion its not Satanism that helps a person, its the ability to express freely one's views and one's outlook on issues, which some may preceive as Satanism.
#18633 - 01/22/09 09:49 PM Re: Positive Satanism [Re: Jerry]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Plenty of people freely express their views and opinions. Would you say fred phelps or oprah winfrey are Satanists? Dr Phil? That crazy guy that thinks obama is the antichrist? Street preachers?

Satanists, the real ones, are smart enough to realize 'freely expressing ones opinion' can often be counterproductive or even harmful.

Perhaps you might want to re-examine your opinion.

#18637 - 01/22/09 11:04 PM Re: Positive Satanism [Re: Jake999]
GarrettProAudio Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Jake999

Geez... does there have to be a confrontation or argument over every damned post? Seriously... this place is getting as bad as most of the other sites out there.

Yea really... Whats up with that!? It seems like there are too many people that are afraid to admit when their wrong. Its OK to be wrong. Its called 'Learning'.

#18667 - 01/23/09 05:16 PM Re: Positive Satanism [Re: Dan_Dread]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
Everything you do should be calculated to your benefit...even "good deeds" are merely selfish gestures that just happen to have a positive outcome for someone else.

Whether or not I admit my convictions relies completely on whether or not I will benefit from having made them known.

#18668 - 01/23/09 05:57 PM Re: Positive Satanism [Re: ceruleansteel]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
But of course my dear. Altruism is one of those things that exists in language and concept, but not in reality. Others in this category include infinity, unconditional love, and afterlife.

And of course, 'cui bono?' is always a prudent thing to consider where examining any situation or committing to any action.

#18669 - 01/23/09 06:07 PM Re: Positive Satanism [Re: Dan_Dread]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Not to forget that good deeds might result in someone being looked upon as a good guy resulting again in getting more trust, more benefits and more opportunities.

Purpose is the defining factor in human relations, what is his purpose to me, what is mine to him? That might sound a bit calculative, as if we're always looking for the best deal, but it's how it works in reality. We just don't realize that we're calculating most of the time.

D.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.