Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#184 - 09/08/07 08:00 PM US Presidential Race
ballbreaker Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
This is a question for all, but particularly for those in the United States:

Who do you hope to win the respective Democrat and Republican presidential races? What are important political issues for you right now?

#188 - 09/08/07 10:07 PM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: ballbreaker]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Hmmm. Well, I "hope" that Ron Paul gets more of a following, but realistically, there won't be any small-time candidates that will get the party election. I'd rather have a Democrat in the office than uber-Mormon Mitt Romney, so I'd vote for Obama or Edwards. They'd make a killing if they teamed up with one or the other as VP. If John Kerry hadn't been such douche back in 2004, he and Edwards could've stolen the election from Bush. At least that dipshit can't get re-elected again. Until 2012. I wouldn't put it past him to try and run again.

#192 - 09/09/07 02:51 AM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: Nemesis]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
I haven't yet found a candidate that I can endorse 100%. There are a few things I like about some...not so much about others. Regardless, you always seem to see more honesty (even if it is born out of desperation) from the second tier candidates.

Regardless, I think the US is completey screwed, no matter who takes the reigns after Lord Bush...but we're screwed already. I've been told to stand up and make my voice herd and fight for new leadership...that's crap. I'm in the process of working with the Canadian Emigration Department. Eventually, I'd like my own little slice of Octavilund way up north...

#195 - 09/09/07 10:42 AM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: Octavius]
ballbreaker Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
You're going to come to Canada?!

If you think that the US is completely screwed, and you think Canada is your way out, then you're just going from the frying pan to the furnace.

#196 - 09/09/07 02:39 PM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: ballbreaker]
Trismegistus Offline
stranger

I really don't think that a candidate I can wholly support is ever going to come along. But, basing my decision primarily on social issues, I support Gravel. I highly doubt he will be elected, but I support him nonetheless.

#261 - 09/11/07 10:28 PM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: Trismegistus]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
I like to vote for the liar - they promise more.

For me, a presidential election it usually boils down to guns and taxes. You can tell a lot about a persons world view based on how they feel about guns and taxes.

#278 - 09/12/07 03:58 AM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: Fist]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Loc: Washington State
I'll probably wind up voting for whomever makes it to the democratic ballot, but right now I'm not impressed with anybody. I'm currently looking at the Republicans I can tolerate rather than the Democrats I want. I kinda like the idea of Giuliani because he seems like a reasonable guy even though he's a Republican.
Giuliani Struck by Lightning

Edited by undeadridinghood (09/12/07 04:00 AM)

#279 - 09/12/07 05:11 AM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: Fist]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
So you are member of the "Guns n'Dope" Party? We need more constiuents.

#288 - 09/12/07 04:22 PM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: daevid777]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Hmmm... guns are boring...
anyway, if forced to live with another republican for 4 more years, Giuliani is probably the least terrifying of the current candidates. I've looked at Romney and Thompson and McCain and their all pro life, and that's a big issue for me. Giuliani said in that debate that even though he's personally against abortion, he's willing to set that aside to protect the constitutional rights of the rest of the country because he understands that not everyone feels the way he does. Perhaps a former mayor doesn't have the international experience necessary to be president the way a senator might, but I really don't care.

#290 - 09/12/07 06:23 PM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: undeadridinghood]
Nemesis Offline

I think Giuliani's MUCH too hard-headed for what this country needs most right now--and that is to mend relationships with virtually every other country on the planet. To clean house after the storm, so to speak. Although I'm thrilled to see a Republican with a more relaxed stance on abortion (it's really up to the mother anyway--can't anyone understand that?) We've had 8 years of stubborn willfulness with Bush--I couldn't stand seeing more of it. Giuliani is too blunt in his discourse with other politicians, and I couldn't imagine how many more people and countries he would cause to turn against the country if he were elected. I still think Obama or Edwards would be for the better, if only because they're not as ultra-liberal as Hillary, and wouldn't cause a partisan rift as she would. Hillary's more than capable, but she'd be better as VP. Or maybe the other way around. Her as Prez with one or the other candidates as VP. Someone nearby to balance out her extreme take on certain issues.

#293 - 09/12/07 07:57 PM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: Nemesis]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

I still don't know much about Obama. I wish I did. I don't really know Edward's politics either, because he didn't really do a good job of explaining that the first time around and he hasn't been in the media much this time either. I'm off and on about Hillary. I like ultra liberal, personally, but I can agree with you that ultra anything is bad for the country right now. I think she'd do a good job and I've always liked her (we share the same birth date, not year of course) and I like the idea of a woman as president, just so we can get over the bickering of "can a woman be president?" "aren't women too emotional to run a country?" and all that other garbage that many countries have already proven wrong, though Americans can't seem to recognize it.
#295 - 09/12/07 08:04 PM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: undeadridinghood]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Obama, Clinton (either one of them), Edwards, Osama Bin Laden, and Joseph Stalin seem to agree on most major issues. For intents and purposes they are interchangeable parts.

#296 - 09/12/07 08:06 PM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: Fist]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

I think bin Laden and Bush have more in common than bin Laden and Clinton. Their both for the Iraq war, their both wealthy people from an oil based background, and their both very restrictive in their opinions of human rights. Probably not Stalin either, because he wasn't a very good commie.
#299 - 09/12/07 08:27 PM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: undeadridinghood]
Nemesis Offline

Don't forget they both come from wealthy families, on top of the oil history they share. Ardent extremism and fervent beliefs from different sides of the same coin.

On the topic of women being too emotional to run things, I'd say yes, but only one or two days a month. :P

#300 - 09/12/07 08:28 PM Re: US Presidential Race [Re: undeadridinghood]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Your kidding right?

Did you even listen to OBL's annual message to the US?

He did the whole leftist shtick: global warming, corporations, the war, America is bad, you name it! With the exception of his mention of religion he sounded like you average college professor.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.