Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#18614 - 01/22/09 11:20 AM Friday The 13th
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I just saw a preview for the remake of FT13, which will be opening on the 13th of next month, also a friday. Normally I would just rip this movie off the net but as a big fan of the series I will definately be seeing this one in the theater.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen the preview for it and do they have high hopes for this or are you sickened by the thought of another 80's horror remake?

#18665 - 01/23/09 05:02 PM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
I shake my head in disappointment.

Friday the 13th - in all it's incarnations - has been given way more credit than it deserves. It's (they are) just another hack and slash movie. My brain needs something more than that.

#18701 - 01/23/09 10:24 PM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: ceruleansteel]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: ceruleansteel
I shake my head in disappointment.

Friday the 13th - in all it's incarnations - has been given way more credit than it deserves. It's (they are) just another hack and slash movie. My brain needs something more than that.

I agree with you. I burned out on slasher flicks after about the third one I saw. I tend to go for the more cerebral of the horror genre. One thing I've learned is that when a movie is remade, it's generally inferior. When the movie becomes a franchised series, it's generally crap.

#18715 - 01/24/09 02:57 AM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: Jake999]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Yeah, but you have to like the first two...

We have become "numbed" by television/film violence... or at least I have. Films like that wouldn't cut it today, when creations like the "Saw" franchise has totally obliterated the "classic" slasher/horror... even if you don't categorize it that genre.

It was "old time, good fun".

A remake wouldn't do it any justice.

#18738 - 01/24/09 10:20 AM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: daevid777]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I have always been a fan of the hack and slash horror movies. I do also enjoy movies with more substance though. The remake of Halloween was awesome, so I have high hopes for this one. Even though Rob Zombie did Halloween and Michale Bay did this one. This one certainly couldn't be worse than Jason X. Of course, it isn't really fair to use that one as a comparison. That one was not really a part of the franchise it was more of a satire of itself.

#18746 - 01/24/09 11:09 AM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
daevid777 Offline

Halloween was okay...

But these remakes have nothing to offer, other than being "remakes"... sure, Halloween showed more of the kid growing up, but is that what made the original "good"?

Rob Zombie is great... though.

Otherwise, Amityville? The Haunting (sucked ass), Halloween. Friday the 13th. Next? The Blind Dead? Nightmare on Elm Street? Sleepaway Camp?

Did they not get it "right" the first time? Or, what can be added to make this "new"? And, when is the right time to make a "re-make"?

How unoriginal can you be? Especially when there are literally tons of great material already floating out there. Personally, I'd love to see more H.P. Lovecraft's stories brought to film... in an original way, I guess.

#18748 - 01/24/09 11:19 AM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: daevid777]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
Personally, I'd love to see more H.P. Lovecraft's stories brought to film... in an original way, I guess.

Wasn't "the mountains of madness" brought to film?
I remember seeing a trailer on it..

#18754 - 01/24/09 12:00 PM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: Dimitri]
daevid777 Offline

The ones I know about are "Re-Animator", "From Beyond", "Dagon", and loosely "In the Mouth of Madness".. there was also an old Vincent Price movie... based on "The Curious Case of Charles Dexter Ward"... but I forget the name... something about InnsMouth...

I'm not even trying to change the subject, but if you know of some others that I'm not aware, please... fess up!

#18758 - 01/24/09 12:25 PM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: daevid777]
Jake999 Offline

The problem with remakes of remakes of remakes is in the singular lack of originality of thought that made the originals great in the first place. They were shocking and memorable because they WERE original. But "Hollywood" is there to make money. If the public will sit back and have the same old formulaic crap served to them on a "new and improved plate," then they get what they deserve.

When the public stops going to these third-rate deja vu festivals, sits at home and reads a book, the loss of income will speak volumes to those who SHOULD be making movies that will stimulate interests and new ideas, whatever the genre.

#18764 - 01/24/09 01:00 PM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: Jake999]
daevid777 Offline

That would be nice...

What's next "Casablanca", "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane", "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"???

If people have the need to "recreate", there's still a ton of literature just waiting to be raped and pillaged... why fuck with things we already appreciate for what they are?

Oh, $$$

Truth is, I'll probably rent the DVD... yeah, I'm a sucker. It's a retelling of a familiar story, I mean, I don't get tired of "Alice in Wonderland"...

Just like I eventually saw the "Halloween" remake... but going to the "box office" for this kinda crap?

#19395 - 01/30/09 10:11 AM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: daevid777]
Morbid Rex Offline

First two were decent flicks, but after that the series just began to go downhill slowly as far as its plain old cheesiness. Though I must admit it is nice to turn off your brain for awhile and just watch people get decapitated for a couple of hours.

Though I don't think anyone would deny the ridiculousness of Freddy v.s. Jason, even though that final fight scene was pretty badass.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#19679 - 02/05/09 02:26 AM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: Morbid Rex]
daevid777 Offline

I'm taking a wild guess here, Jason Vorhees's (sp?) mother is not the "killer" in this new incarnation? I think that would just be silly. Though it worked rather well in the original, I don't think "today's" audience would "go for it".

Double shame on us.

#19863 - 02/07/09 10:00 AM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: daevid777]
Jester Offline
pledge

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
The Friday the 13th remake is supposed to be a combination of the first three flicks. Which in itself is stupid because they are essentially going to change the whole back story and mythology behind Jason.

I've been ranting for years about the unnecessary amount of remakes, especially within the horror genre. What gets me is that the younger people of this generation are going to think that the remakes are original and they will be too apathetic to look into the history of the franchise and realize...this movie was made in...remake? no way, this is original.

Hollywood has lost any sense of creativity. There are hardly any new movies that are not remakes or re-hash ups of older movies.

One may present the argument that "everything has been done" it is still nice to see movies that try. Try to be something different, whether they fail or succeed, I'll give a thumbs up for effort but not for trying to make something old shiny again.

#20338 - 02/14/09 01:02 AM Re: Friday The 13th [Re: Jester]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Just got back from seeing this movie...

Over all it wasn't too bad. It had elements from the first four movies and a semi-decent story. As well the boobs, comedy, and creative death scenes we have all come to know and love.

I would give this movie a 6 out of 10.
Probably not a movie that I would buy, but I will probably rip it off net eventually.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 27 queries. Zlib compression disabled.