Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#1931 - 11/15/07 07:35 PM disappointing movies
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
I am getting so sick of watching hyped up movies that inevitably end up disappointing me to the point of eating my own cock in front of my mother.
Recent entries into the annals of pieces of shit sold as fuckin' life changing movies or even just hyped
All Pirates of the Cunting Johnny Depp
Spiderman 3
Death proof
SuperBad
The Bourne Movies (Mat Dickhead)
Black Sheep
The heartbreak kid
28 weeks later

Please add or just go nuts that I said your favorite movie is shite.

#1968 - 11/17/07 12:29 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: jesusbeater]
Meq Offline
Banned

War Of The Worlds was a real letdown for me.

The plot could easily be written on the back of a postage stamp - aliens come up, attack, die out...

As for H.G. Wells' original... I prefer The Time Machine, much more elegant.
I liked both movie versions of this too. Anyone think I am mad? ;\)

#2012 - 11/19/07 09:05 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Meq]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
Actually, "The Time Machine" (both of them) were very well adapted and I loved the story behind it. Even when I was 15, I read that book over and over.

No, you're not mad. Not in this case, anyway.

#2024 - 11/19/07 04:26 PM What a good movie plot SHOULD be like! [Re: Sinistar]
Meq Offline
Banned

Samantha Mumba wasn't bad either \:D

I first read the original when I was 11. It blew me away.
I grew up on Back To The Future, Terminator, Bill and Ted etc., so time travel fascinated me from a young age.
I even wrote a book about a Time Traveller when I was 10, prior to encountering Wells in my next school's library.

And now... I think Well's insights into the human condition (such as its potential to evolve towards greater exploitation) are still quite profound, although I missed the social implications of this story when I first encountered it.

The end of the book features the Time Traveller's disappearance. While the narrator of the book tries hard to affirm faith in the goodness of humanity, the Time Traveller himself was portrayed as more critical of these Enlightenment values.

I'll leave you with the closing words of his book (written in 1895):

"Did he go forward, into one of the nearer ages, in which men are still men, but with the riddles of our own time answered and its wearisome problems solved? Into the manhood of the race: for I, for my own part cannot think that these latter days of weak experiment, fragmentary theory, and mutual discord are indeed man's culminating time!
I say, for my own part. He, I know - for the question had been discussed among us long before the Time Machine was made - thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilization only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end. If that is so, it remains for us to live as though it were not so.
But to me the future is still black and blank - is a vast ignorance, lit at a few casual places by the memory of his story. And I have by me, for my comfort, two strange white flowers - shrivelled now, and brown and flat and brittle - to witness that even when mind and strength had gone, gratitude and a mutual tenderness still lived on in the heart of man."

#2025 - 11/19/07 04:49 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Sinistar]
Meq Offline
Banned

The 1960 version featured the destruction of the world by a nuclear holocaust in 1966. Must have scared the shit out of people.

I see the same tension between humanistic hopes and realism in the Terminator movies.
T2 stresses the value of human life and a belief in humanity, despite its problems.

This optimism is lost in T3, in which the protagonist struggles to accept the reality of an imminent nuclear holocaust.
Although he was forced to see human nature and its weaknesses in a bleaker light - in terms of fatalism instead of an ultimately illusiory 'free will' - he nevertheless vows to 'never stop fighting' in the affirmation of human life.

Sounds quite Nietzschean to me.

#2052 - 11/19/07 08:43 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Sinistar]
Meq Offline
Banned

You can download an audio version of The Time Machine (the original Wells book) from http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17401/17401-mp3.zip

Or read it online at http://www.bartleby.com/1000/

As for the 1960 and 2002 movie versions... BUY them on DVD! ;\)

P.S.
I have started a new thread on the Philosophy board continuing this discussion on The Time Machine:
http://www.the600club.com/dir/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2053#Post2053

Edited by Mequa (11/19/07 09:00 PM)
Edit Reason: New thread

#2077 - 11/20/07 09:15 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Meq]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
Whatever happened to Samantha Mumba anyway? I remember back in 2000 when she was hyped as "The black Britney Spears". I guess it was a compliment back in those days.

Thanks for those links! It'll bring back memories reading "The Time Machine" again!

I should've listed "T3" as a disappointing movie, but not because of the philisophical difference. The movie was just horrible! Nick Stahl and Claire Danes were horrible too and they made it difficult for the viewer to sympathize with them. I actually wanted them to get killed off somehow. Arnold was Arnold and Kristanna Loken was awesome and not just for the obvious reasons either.

#2585 - 12/06/07 04:44 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: jesusbeater]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Loc: Washington State
So, I haven't seen the whole movie yet, so I can't exactly say, but just from an artistic standpoint, I'm disappointed with Beowulf. I don't know how they carry the plot, I don't know about the sound track, except for their "A Hero Comes Home" song, but the CGI is weird. When the first Shrek movie came out, I remember watching a tv special that basically said that we have the technological ability to make CGI characters look extremely realistic, almost indistinguishable from human actors. It just takes a lot of time and effort, but that it was possible. That was years ago. I'm sure technology has advanced a lot since then. What bothers me about Beowulf is that it shows that we have the technology to make these extremely realistic characters, even their "extras" are real looking, but they don't care to do it for everyone. I was watching the movie for scratches and dust, and noticed that in the scene I was watching, everyone, the crowd, Beowulf himself, the room they were in, looked totally natural, except for one woman, a queen I think, who looked like she was straight out of Shrek. Something about the skin on her face, I think. They didn't put in the effort to make the tiny details that all the other characters had, for a character that was relatively important. That bugged me. There are other things like that in the previews too.
#2589 - 12/06/07 06:47 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: undeadridinghood]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
"Life Aquatic" sucked my soul dry. I'll never get that hour and a half back, nor my $7. My friend and I wanted to commit suicide after watching that movie. We had such high hopes, with a stellar cast. How can Bill Murray and Owen Wilson go wrong? But they did. I blame it on the director.

#2602 - 12/06/07 05:54 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Nemesis]
rob_church Offline

Loc: alberta , canada
ha good call girl me and the wife turned that puppy off like a half hour into it what a peice of crap, a movie that was rough and i always ask a perosn if they like it if they are recommeneding movies to me was triple x with vindesiel,just mocked the shit outa that movie the whole way thought, mst style so if the person says they liked that movie i will take no advice on movies from them.

#2609 - 12/06/07 08:25 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: rob_church]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
A fellow MSTie! I've gotten into the bad habit over the years of mocking bad movies aloud. Much to the annoyance of whomever I'm watching it with.

I've got the entire season 8 downloaded (took me a fucking week), as well as a few odds and ends.

The only good thing in XXX was Rammstein playing "Feuer Frei" onstage in the beginning. Yup, that's about all I got from it. I thought Vin was good in Pitch Black and its sequel Chronicles of Riddick. Otherwise, I'm not a huge fan of his stuff.

My boyfriend's "Life Aquatic" movie was "The Royal Tannenbaums". Bloody awful.

#3068 - 01/01/08 07:50 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Nemesis]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
I just finished watching The Devil's Rejects. Quite possibly the worst piece of celluloid ever produced by humanity.

#3146 - 01/05/08 09:26 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Octavius]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Really, why? Actually, I think I know why but I want to hear from you.

My wife sent me the The Devil's Rejects when I was in Afghanistan in 06. We always had movie nights where we would play movies on the DLP projectors we used for briefings. There was a certain sort of person who loved it and certain sort of person who hated it. I loved it.

#3188 - 01/07/08 03:43 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Fist]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
I thought it was transparent, unimaginative, and forgetable. There are much better slasher flicks like Susperia, Haute Tension, and The Thing (John Carpenter), that offer some suspense, substance, and plot. I know that the point of The Devil's Rejects was to try and get the audience to identify with the killers instead of the victims, but it failed miserably. In the end, I didn't give a shit about anyone...victim or killer.

Edited by Octavius (01/07/08 03:48 AM)
Edit Reason: John Wayne

#3191 - 01/07/08 09:09 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Octavius]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
 Quote:
In the end, I didn't give a shit about anyone...victim or killer.

And maybe that is closer to the point?...

In my mind, I think the sheriff reveals the central message of the film. When he is stapling the pictures of the murder victims to his victims he says 'We are operating on level that few people understand' (or something like that). The point is that there is a sub-culture violent people who exist on both sides of law and society. Dogs and wolves perhaps? Everyone else are just sheep only casually aware of this alternate reality of extreme savagery. Wolves hunt the sheep and the dogs protect the sheep. A loose analogy, but I think it illustrates the point.

In any event, I loved The Thing - both the B 50's original and the remake. On your recommendation I will have check out Susperia and Haute Tension.

For what it's worth, I hate The Saw franchise and I hated Hostel. It was just so much randomized sadism and I found it generally unpleasant. I can get behind someone fighting for their life but I honestly cannot stand to watch people bound and tortured. At least in that context anyway...

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.