Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#11445 - 09/13/08 09:10 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: DaVinci]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
one movie sticks out in my mind the most CLOVERFIELD! By far the most annoying and irratating movie I have ever seen. That movie gave me a headache. The way it ended left me like what the fuck!

#11447 - 09/13/08 01:17 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Ringmaster]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I'd heard that some people got motion sickness in the theater from the way the camera was jiggling the entire time. Sounded like an alien re-work of "Blair Witch Project", so I never bothered to see it. Sounds like I didn't miss much

#11454 - 09/14/08 12:30 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Ringmaster]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

"Cloverfield" What can be said? Some movies are just an experience that will just never happen on your TV screen... First the hype from an untitled trailer seen before the transformers movie, then the searching on the net and all the information and misinformation, rumors, buildup... Were parts of it unbelievable yes they were but what monster movie is 100% believable?

How many packed theaters have you sat in where you could hear every line because nobody was talking? It was based on the first person perspective of being there... Again was it unbelievable? Yes the army is marching up the street firing missiles at something to your right and I am damn sure you are going to look at it long and hard... Not stare across the street at your friends pointing at what you are missing...

Now as for the headache I call bullshit unless your hobby of gaming happens on graph paper and not on a computer screen... Computer or console gamers were immune to the motion of the movie simply because we have been there before in many video games...

I went in with no expectations and came out feeling that the movie was good I enjoyed the experience...

As for the ending do I want to know more yes I do I think this is just the beginning of a larger franchise... There is much more story to be told... After all this creature is supposed to be Americas Godzilla...

Time will tell...

The number one all time bad movie after Bug (shudders) or Signs was The Blair Witch Project...

~T~

BTW... At 13 years old in 1979 Alien was a bad ass movie... Of course to todays desensitized population it holds little shock value anymore...

#11456 - 09/14/08 06:18 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: ta2zz]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
I actually jsut watched Cloverfield two days ago (didn't see this thread then) and can say I thought it was pretty crappy also.

I love sci fi, so I was actually expecting to at least enjoy it, but I thought it was slow and predictable. I agree with Ta2zz though in that there is probably more to come.

The best bit was when their friend either exploded or got shot, either or, that's the bit I liked most. LOL

Zeph

#11512 - 09/16/08 12:10 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: ZephyrGirl]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
I personally enjoyed Cloverfield when I saw it at the cinema. I think Ta2zz's video games explanation is somewhat true, as I've played a lot of First Person Shooter games, and this film didn't give me motion sickness at all. Then again it could have been meant as a joke, but who am I to know?

Either way, I liked the movie, and I care not if people share the same opinion or not.

#11514 - 09/16/08 01:07 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: DistroyA]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
 Originally Posted By: DistroyA
I personally enjoyed Cloverfield when I saw it at the cinema.

You experienced Cloverfield... You didn't try to watch it on a box...

Which was my point...

~T~

#24625 - 05/15/09 12:59 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Fist]
lefthanded Offline
stranger

Loc: Virginia,Us
since we are on the topic of movies that suck....Twilight.That was an abomination.They have a mediocre director, half-ass actors and an awful script and they still make a shit load of money. Im going to record "Edward" shittind write breaking wind on it and sell it to teen-age girls.

#24626 - 05/15/09 01:03 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: lefthanded]
lefthanded Offline
stranger

Loc: Virginia,Us
and sorry for that random ass post i just watched it lol. But i was kinda in between on the whole cloverfield experience. I watched it but it wasnt what i expected. It really let me down on terms of sci-fi horror flicks

#24627 - 05/15/09 01:30 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: ta2zz]
DistroyA Offline

Originally Posted By: ta2zz
 Originally Posted By: DistroyA
I personally enjoyed Cloverfield when I saw it at the cinema.

You experienced Cloverfield... You didn't try to watch it on a box...

Which was my point...

~T~

Yeah, I can imagine it not having the same impact as when one sees it in the cinema. I thought of that when I went to see it.

Good experience though.

[Edit]: Seeing as I haven't mentioned it yet, I'll add the movie adaptation of Doom to the list of disappointing movies, despite it being somewhat enjoyable.

Now why is this adaptation so disappointing? They changed the story behind the monsters. That and they dub the BFG as the "Bio Force Gun" (All big Doom fans know the original name for the weapon was "Big Fucking Gun", although the character Dwayne Johnson plays as refers to it as that...).

So what's the story behind the monsters? Well, they aren't hellspawn like they originally were, oh no. Instead, they're mutated humans. Completely ruins the whole concept from then on. The only thing they got right were as follows;

- Basing the story on Mars (Seeing as that's where Doom starts off on...)
- The monster designs were pulled from the 3rd game
- The first person segment of the movie. I loved this moment, and it's the only part I feel they put enough effort into.

Overall, bad movie. Games and movies don't mix well at all. I should imagine they'll ruin Gears of War when they make a movie out of that.

Edited by DistroyA (05/15/09 02:21 PM)

#24774 - 05/18/09 07:53 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: Baphomit666]
Nightmare Offline
pledge

Loc: San Antonio TX
The biggest Let down ever was shutter the movie about the guys who raped an asian woman who haunts and kills them all i sat through the whole thing and made racist/steriotypical remarks to make my friends laugh the whole time it was the worst horror movie ever

#24798 - 05/19/09 12:27 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: DistroyA]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I am in 100% agreeance with you regarding the big screen adaptation of Doom. Doom III is one of my favorite games and being that the movie was modeled off of it they really fucked up.

The creatures are supposed to be the result of teleportation experiments, not mutation. There were no Revenants in the movie and only one Pinky, infact it was severly lacking in the creature department.

The best part was the first person segment. The rest of the movie was a big steaming pile of shit. I left the theatre very pissed off. I stayed hoping it would get better, but it didn't. Since I stayed through the whole thing I couldn't get my money back.

They should have just recorded someone playing the game and released that in the theater. It would have been better than we did get.

#24824 - 05/20/09 07:38 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
DistroyA Offline

In all fairness, Doom is only one example of bad videogame based movies. Most of them (If not all...) are a steaming pile of excrement. The most hilarious examples are Mario Bros, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat Annihilation, and I'm sure there are others, but I just cannot think of them.

As regards Street Fighter, they should have ditched the idea of making it live action and should have just released the Japanese animated movie of the second game, seeing as that's much closer to the game canon than the disgustingly poor Van Damme movie.

The only videogame based movie I've seen that was actually worth it's salt was Silent Hill, and that didn't follow the game canon directly, despite keeping with the original spirit of the games.

In conclusion; videogames and movies don't mix very well.

#24827 - 05/20/09 11:53 AM Re: disappointing movies [Re: DistroyA]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I saw a preview for Street Fighter 2

Silent Hill was a great movie, I especially liked the part at the end when that chick got ripped apart by the barbed wire. I think the Resident Evil movies were great too even though they kind of mixed things up. Maybe I am biased though because I have the hots for Mila Jovovich in a BAD way.

#24831 - 05/20/09 05:58 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Saligia Offline
stranger

Loc: Manchester, England
Silent Hill is one of my favourite films by far. I love the artistic element of it, like the music as the razor wire rises from the pit, or the way the christian woman stops to throw one last stone as the world crumbles around her.
I'm torn on the Resident evil films. In all honesty I think that they should have been more... scary. Granted I was only a kid when the first games came out, but I found the concept of undead cannibals deeply disturbing. Maybe it's because I've seen too many horror films over the years but the resident evil films just lacked the haunting atmosphere of the first games. Still fun to watch though.
Doom was terrible for all the reasons that have already been mentioned.
I used to like a lot of Lucio Fulci's films when I was 14-15. I look back on them now and think "what was I thinking?". Out of all his films (that I've seen) only zombie flesheaters is remotely entertaining to me now.

#24840 - 05/20/09 08:21 PM Re: disappointing movies [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
DistroyA Offline

The animated Street Fighter II movie is so much better though. ;\)

As regards the Resident Evil movies Saligia, I think they could have done so much better with them. Instead all we got were martial arts sequences and some gory scenes. Nothing overly shocking like the original game, of which still creeps me out to this day (Well, mainly it's remake on the Gamecube...), as it has one thing that's VITAL to the series that the movies needed; ATMOSPHERE.

But Hollywood doesn't know how to translate such things from other media. Shame in that really.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.