Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1966 - 11/17/07 12:15 AM Arthur Schopenhauer on his colleague in philosophy
Meq Offline
Banned

Arthur Schopenhauer on his colleague in philosophy, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel:

“That clumsy and nauseating charlatan, that pernicious person, who completely disorganized and ruined the minds of a whole generation."

“A commonplace, inane, loathsome, repulsive and ignorant charlatan, who with unparalleled cheek constructed a system of crazy nonsense that was trumpeted abroad as immortal wisdom by his mercenary followers...”

"If I were to say that the so-called 'philosophy' of this fellow Hegel is a colossal piece of mystification which will yet provide future generations with an inexhaustible theme for laughter at our times, that it is a pseudo-philosophy paralyzing all mental powers, stifling all real thinking, and, by the most outrageous misuse of language, putting in its place the hollowest, most senseless, thoughtless, and, as is confirmed by its success, most stupefying verbiage, I should be quite right."

"Further, if I were to say that this lofty thinker scribbled nonsense quite unlike any mortal before him, so that whoever could read his most praised work, the so-called Phenomenology of the Mind, without feeling as if he were in a madhouse, would qualify as an inmate for Bedlam, I should be no less right."

"The public had been forced to see [in Kant] that what is obscure is not always without meaning; what was senseless and without meaning at once took refuge in obscure explanation and language. Fichte was the first to grasp and make use of this privilege; Schelling at best equalled him in this, and a host of hungry scribblers without intellect or honesty soon surpassed them both. But the greatest cheek in serving up sheer nonsense, in scrabbling together senseless and maddening webs of words, such as had previously been heard only in madhouses, finally appeared in Hegel..."

"...and [this] became the instrument of the most barefaced general mystification that has ever taken place, with a result that will appear astonishing to future generations, and will remain a monument to German stupidity."

(Note: These quotes have been modernised for easy reading and increased hilarity)

"'Tis still a dream, or else such stuff as madmen
Tongue, and brain not..."
- Cymbeline, William Shakespeare (suggested by Schopenhauer as the motto of Hegel's philosophy)

#2009 - 11/19/07 12:44 AM Re: Arthur Schopenhauer on his colleague in philosophy [Re: Meq]
Meq Offline
Banned

Does anyone have any more, either Schopenhauer on Hegel or in a similar vein?

Schopenhauer easily wins the Grumpy Philosopher's Competition hands down!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.016 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.