Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#197 - 09/09/07 08:38 PM Pointlessness In Action
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Just when you thought religious leaders couldn't get any more off track, they gather in Greenland to "Pray for the melting ice cap". *sigh*

Oh God, please save the planet from the stupidity of the human race, created in Your likeness.

#200 - 09/09/07 10:55 PM Re: Pointlessness In Action [Re: Nemesis]
LadyChaos Offline
stranger

Loc: 7th circle of Hell
That was amusing. It never ceases to amaze me what they think up to "pray" about.

#205 - 09/10/07 04:25 AM Re: Pointlessness In Action [Re: LadyChaos]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
I will have to disagree with you.
There is true power in prayers.

If nothing else; I find it a good thing that religious leaders takes it upon themselves to raise awareness amongst their followers when it comes to environmental issues.

Far from all religious people are stupid fucks who believes that the great teddy-bear in the sky will reach down and make things alright.
The monotheistic belief system is fatalistic at its core, and a regretfully typical attitude is to praise the Lord whilst the planet earth goes to pieces.

Let us contemplate over the words of the respected religious leader; Mr. Bob Marley, in his composition "Redemption Song":

"Have no fear of Atomic Energy, were bound to fulfill the book."

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#209 - 09/10/07 07:30 AM Re: Pointlessness In Action [Re: Woland]
Nemesis Offline

Yes, at least these priests, rabbis and imams are drawing attention to the issue, but I'd rather have them rallying their congregations to take action. Myself, I'm using flourescent lights throughout my house, I drive an economical car, and I have a short commute to work. Lucky for me, I also live in a very developed area, so everything is within walking distance. It's just too bloody hot to walk any great distance at this time of year, but the weather will start cooling down and will make a walk to the grocery store a pleasant one \:\)

I like the teddy bear in the sky. Haven't heard it put that way before.

#214 - 09/10/07 11:57 AM Re: Pointlessness In Action [Re: Nemesis]
ballbreaker Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I'm not surprised by these sorts of antics; Church attendance rates are going down while envirotrendyism soars...religionists are just trying to grab their piece of the pie.
#230 - 09/10/07 07:33 PM Re: Pointlessness In Action [Re: ballbreaker]
Nemesis Offline

Environmentalism seems to be fast becoming the new "religion". If you're not with them, you're against them, and consequently, against the entire well-being of the planet. Very effective recruiting strategy. Not to mention lining the pockets of "green" product manufacturing companies. As far as I'm concerned, no "green" product you can buy compares to planting trees, keeping neighborhoods and beaches clean, and not using styrofoam. That's a gross generalization of course, but you know what I mean ;\)

#247 - 09/11/07 09:56 AM Re: Pointlessness In Action [Re: Nemesis]
Circus_Hell Offline
stranger

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hmmmmmmm, environmentalists. *sigh* It certainly has become trendy. Kind of like what Buddhism was among the well to doers in the nineties. :barf:

I was walking through a rather affluent beachside suburb recently
when I happened to notice a sign on a gate which read :

NO JUNK MAIL
FOR HEAVENS SAKE
THINK OF OUR TREES

The occupant/s of the house had made quite a passionate plea for the welfare of the trees, but here is the quirk folks

It was drawn and illustrated in detail, using artists pencils (trees) on bright white super bleached PAPER!!!(not recycled unbleached paper, more trees)

To top it off, they were renovating their 1940 circa home. I noticed in the pile of crap in the front yard, that they had ripped all of the original rosewood beams out and just chucked them to decay in the debris. They had added an entire floor and used brand new timber for the frame.

Go Figure.

#310 - 09/13/07 12:16 AM Re: Pointlessness In Action [Re: Circus_Hell]
LadyChaos Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Circus_Hell
Hmmmmmmm, environmentalists. *sigh* It certainly has become trendy. Kind of like what Buddhism was among the well to doers in the nineties. :barf:

I was walking through a rather affluent beachside suburb recently
when I happened to notice a sign on a gate which read :

NO JUNK MAIL
FOR HEAVENS SAKE
THINK OF OUR TREES

The occupant/s of the house had made quite a passionate plea for the welfare of the trees, but here is the quirk folks

It was drawn and illustrated in detail, using artists pencils (trees) on bright white super bleached PAPER!!!(not recycled unbleached paper, more trees)

To top it off, they were renovating their 1940 circa home. I noticed in the pile of crap in the front yard, that they had ripped all of the original rosewood beams out and just chucked them to decay in the debris. They had added an entire floor and used brand new timber for the frame.

Go Figure.

That is the most hypocritical idiotic thing I've ever heard about. Some people truely lack common sense. Hahaha. I'd have to agree with your sig, there just isnt enough bullets, but, we could make them.

#311 - 09/13/07 12:19 AM Re: Pointlessness In Action [Re: Woland]
LadyChaos Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Woland
I will have to disagree with you.
There is true power in prayers.

What that one day the teddy bear in the sky wil reach down and hug them if they pray enough?
Seriously though, I understand what you are saying, there is power in words. But I find it simply amusing that they would pray for a melting ice cap. Nevertheless.

#314 - 09/13/07 12:32 AM Re: Pointlessness In Action [Re: Nemesis]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Loc: Washington State
I'm currently taking AP environmental science and I hope I can get some better advice than buying overpriced recycled toilet paper from the co-op grocery. I would like to see the class show the flaws in the current environmentalist movement along with the benefits, such as awareness. So far I seem to be at opposition with most of the class, which is funny considering how liberal and environmentally conscious I tend to be. Most of my class is the stereotypical naive high school girl who loves cuddly animals and wants everyone to get along, while she drives her rich daddy's SUV half a mile to school every day when she could walk, and would rather sleep in until noon than plant trees, but still considers herself green. You either say it and mean it, or you're not.
#315 - 09/13/07 12:45 AM Re: Pointlessness In Action [Re: undeadridinghood]
LadyChaos Offline
stranger

Some people simply are not educated or care enough about the enviroment, or ways to improve it. Also, the supply and demand of recycled items is low, so until more people jump on the "bandwagon" of purchasing those items the cost of such things will not be reduced. Good ol' economics.

As far as the melting ice caps go, it's inevitible when people like what you stated undead, are not changing their habits or the way they live. Praying for an ice cap not to melt won't change much. Educating and praticing green habits will.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.