Page 5 of 5 <12345
Topic Options
#40304 - 07/15/10 06:01 PM Re: Songs about Satan/Lucifer [Re: The Zebu]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
 Originally Posted By: The Zebu
There are countless songs about Satan/Lucifer in black metal, and most of them are just "RRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWR!!! SATAAAN WILL RIIIIISE!!!! SPILL THE BLOOD OF THE CHRISTIANS!!!! RAAAWWR!"

Although as far as actual Satanic philosophy goes beyond the typical "Hail Satan!" stuff, two songs by an industrial band called X-Fusion have caught my attention, called "C'mon Devil", and "Bringer of Light"

Hahaha Jack Black popped into my head singing that in his high voice. Hilarious.

Anyway while we're on the topic of songs about Satan, any Dark Funeral or Akercocke fans? Kinda typical I guess, another metal band with Satanic overtones but Akercocke espicially are plain amazing.

#40307 - 07/15/10 06:45 PM Re: Songs about Satan/Lucifer [Re: Lamar]
Oxus Online

Do songs of Set count?

Within a late Gnostic writing translated by René Guénon that I found in a paper by Professor of Music at Colgate University; Joscelyn Godwin, states the Setian Priesthood of Egypt (19th Dynasty Ramses eras)used sacred vowel intonations to summon Set.

Invoked with an intoning of I A O (i-ee a oh) this ancient vowel ritual song seems very close to the later Tetragrammaton JHVH, YHWH, IEVE (sounding like ieoue).

Ir Shti Shta-tu
Oxus

#40308 - 07/15/10 06:57 PM Re: Songs about Satan/Lucifer [Re: Oxus]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
 Originally Posted By: Oxus
Do songs of Set count?

Within a late Gnostic writing translated by René Guénon that I found in a paper by Professor of Music at Colgate University; Joscelyn Godwin, states the Setian Priesthood of Egypt (19th Dynasty Ramses eras)used sacred vowel intonations to summon Set.

Invoked with an intoning of I A O (i-ee a oh) this ancient vowel ritual song seems very close to the later Tetragrammaton JHVH, YHWH, IEVE (sounding like ieoue).

Ir Shti Shta-tu
Oxus

I can't help but love the egyptian language. Egyptian mythology for that matter.

But yeah, didn't know that. Kinda cool.

#40640 - 07/22/10 01:27 AM Re: Songs about Satan/Lucifer [Re: XiaoGui17]
Master Magick Offline
pledge

Loc: New York, USA
 Originally Posted By: XiaoGui17
Most of the material from these three bands is going to be Satanically themed:

Electric Hellfire Club
Tiamat
Samael

As for Tiamat, I will be the first to admit that their earlier work (early 90's) was indeed the "RAAWWWWWR!!!! HAIL SATAN!!!! I LOVE THE DEVIL!!!!!" loud and angry junk. But they underwent a pleasant transformation in the late 90's when Johan Edlund learned to sing instead of howling. And thank goodness he did! He has a deep, rich baritone voice, much like the late Peter Steele. It would have been pitifully wasted growling throughout his music. The lyrics also got a bit more refined as the singing did. \:\)

Note that, in addition to concrete "Satanic" references, there will also be references to Thelema and Sumerian mythology in Tiamat.

One of my favorite cover tunes is from Tiamat doing The Stones, Sympathy for the Devil.

#40659 - 07/22/10 08:33 PM Re: Songs about Satan/Lucifer [Re: Master Magick]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
 Originally Posted By: Master Magick
One of my favorite cover tunes is from Tiamat doing The Stones, Sympathy for the Devil.

I have to second that, Master Magick. Everyone and their fetus has done a cover of "Sympathy for the Devil," and most of the covers are painfully bad. Ozzy? Awful. Guns 'n' Roses? Yuck. Laibach (who I usually love)? Oh sweet Satan, no!

Tiamat not only managed a decent cover, they actually gave it a whole new dimension. Jagger's take on it was lighthearted, tongue-in-cheek, energetic, and playfully mischievous. Edlund made it serious, dark, sinister, and dangerously subtle. He did to SftD what Joe Cocker did to "With a Little Help From My Friends."

My only gripe is that he cut the "Call me Lucifer" verse, which I think is the climax of the whole song. Every bit of it, "guess my name," seemed to be leading up to that.

Page 5 of 5 <12345

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.