Page 11 of 30 « First<910111213>Last »
Topic Options
#42054 - 08/19/10 10:12 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Lamar]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
General Reply

I tend to read several books at once, usually about three. Right now I'm reading the following:

#42058 - 08/19/10 12:03 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Fnord]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Now that I have a month off from school I can finally read books that I want to.

Today I started to reread We Only Kill Our Friends by Bill Wasz. It is a pretty good book on the author's time spent in different prisons around the country and his literal fight for survival inside each one.

After that one is finished I think I am going to reread Little White Trip: Horror in the Pines I bought it from the author for $5 when I was in Venice Beach and I remember being unable to put it down once I picked it up the first time.

#42068 - 08/19/10 02:25 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
TaintedOne Offline
stranger

Loc: Alabama
I just started reading No Room for Doubt by Angela Dove."A compelling account of a real life homicide and it's aftermath".
After I read this one I have The Postcard Killers by James Patterson lined up for me to read.

#42076 - 08/19/10 03:24 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
Dedalus Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
I'm re-reading Less Than Zero, because the sequel was a bit of a dissapointment for me, and I'm almost finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, even though the endind was ruined for me in great detail. I think a friend of mine recommended snow to me, I hear good things.

#42082 - 08/19/10 06:01 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: ]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: MatthewJ1
I am slowly making my way back into Edmund Husserl.

You have my admiration and sympathy. I have a copy of H's Ideas on my shelves. I am fascinated because I can open it to any page, read any sentence, and have absolutely no clue what it means.

#42083 - 08/19/10 06:34 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Dr, I have to read the damn thing so slowly. It is a constant battle just to keep the eyes right there on that word and keep the mind moving carefully and slowly so it sinks in.

Man, it teaches me a form of discipline though.

Getting the result or an understanding though, as a result of that hard work, is something I treasure though.

P.S. am also reading Mystery Train by Greil Marcus (good stuff)

#42086 - 08/19/10 09:01 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: ]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: MatthewJ1
Dr, I have to read the damn thing so slowly. It is a constant battle just to keep the eyes right there on that word and keep the mind moving carefully and slowly so it sinks in.

Here's a reasonably succinct summary of the old fellow.

As for making sense of Ideas, I submit that reading this is as good a preparation as any.

Quote:
Man, it teaches me a form of discipline though.

O.K., but I think that being tied up and lashed by a gorgeous woman in black leather & fishnets would give you the same amount of pain but be more fun somehow ...

#42091 - 08/19/10 10:32 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Dr. A, don't tempt me with those Gorgeous ladies who flog and their wicked and delicious pleasures!

That Postmodern Generator is a work of mad and diabolical brilliance! I love it.

Soon I will know more about Husserl than ole Fink ever did.

#43879 - 10/28/10 11:14 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: ]
TheSerpent Offline
stranger

Loc: Northern Ireland
Recently I have currently fallen in love with the author Dan Brown, I have read the Da Vinci Code and I am now nearly finished Angels and Demons and there is quite a lot of references to Satanism and how evil and bad they are which sort of pisses me off!

#43997 - 11/04/10 05:49 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: TheSerpent]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Currently reading:

Are You Morbid? Into the Pandemonium of Celtic Frost by Tom Gabriel Fischer. Had to spend $60 on half.com for this one, but it's worth every penny.

Tales by H.P. Lovecraft

Why Mahler? How One Man and Ten Symphonies Changed Our World by Norman Lebrecht

Homo Homini Lupus

#43998 - 11/04/10 06:37 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Draculesti]
PrinceOfBabalon Offline
stranger

Loc: London
For pleasure:

The Vampire by Ornella Volta

It gives a good general overview of vampirism with a strong anthropological leaning.

Homosexuality in Renaissance England by Alan Bray

A well researched and really interesting little book for those whom sexuality is a subject of interest. It essentially gives the Elizabethan view of homosexuality, not as something rigidly defined with corresponding labels and social groups built around those labels, but rather as a term describing acts which are in turn only instances of the broader, highly-personal sexuality that cannot be easily categorized.

As part of my undergraduate reading;

The Logic of Scientific Discovery by Karl Popper
Protagoras by Plato
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Edited by PrinceOfBabalon (11/04/10 07:17 PM)

#44000 - 11/05/10 12:21 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: PrinceOfBabalon]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: PrinceOfBabalon
For pleasure: The Vampire by Ornella Volta.

Haven't seen old O.V. pop up in some time ... Here's the Temple of Set Reading List #8C entry, with its #8A reference included:

Originally Posted By: Category 9: Vampirism, TS Reading List
8A. The Vampire Papers by Bernhardt J. Hurwood (Original title: Terror by Night, later released as The Monstrous Undead). NY: Pinnacle Books #523-00975-5, 1976. (TOS-3) MA: “Unlike the werewolf or vampire sections of most occult anthologies, this book focuses directly on the sexual and psychopathic bases of both archetypes. Other sections dealing with necrophilia, cannibalism, blood rituals, and premature burial have made this one of the books least likely to be kept in stock at your neighborhood bookstore. A short but informative bibliography is appended. [See also #8I.] Books dealing exclusively with subjects such as necrophilia [sample title: The Love of the Dead (!)] were evaluated for this reading list but rejected as being mere attempts to pander to degenerate and morbid tastes. #8A relates such themes to the more significant precepts addressed by this reading list category.”

8C. The Vampire by Ornella Volta. NY: Award Books #A807S-MAC, 1962. (TOS-4) MA: “Only slightly less gory than #8A, this book explores various psychological implications of vampirism and proceeds to case studies. Again the nature of its contents makes it unlikely that this book will be easily located.”

Bernhardt Hurwood is pretty creepy: Go to Amazon and do a book search for his name and you'll see what I mean. [Then in the middle of all that stuff he does a book on Burt Reynolds?]

#44016 - 11/05/10 07:16 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
PrinceOfBabalon Offline
stranger

Loc: London
Thank you Dr. Aquino.

I will seek out Hurwood's The Vampire Papers (more alarming I think than Hurwood's work on Burt Reynold's is the fact that Amazon UK lists two of Hurwood's more "exotic" titles under the Home & Gardening category).

As part of a research project into literary vampirism I recently obtained Beth E. McDonald's The Vampire As Numinous Experience: Spiritual Journeys With The Undead In British And American Literature which contains some interesting perspectives and analysis' (although regretfully filtered through the RHP lens of the author) that could be of use in hunting down the Vampyric Essence.

#44098 - 11/15/10 11:21 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Just got Stephen King's new novella collection "Full Dark, No Stars" and so far I love it. I'm two stories in (out of four) and I think this is some of the best stuff I've read from King in a long time.

#44099 - 11/15/10 05:01 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Fnord]
SkaffenAmtiskaw Moderator Offline
veteran member

Interesting. Picked up his "Near Dark", which was pretty true to form for the old master. Went on to read "Under the Dome", which wasn't bad, but hardly "The Stand" all over again. He often panders to the collective subconscious, but I think I put up with it because he presents his narrative in an 'impressionist' style. Makes for an impression of realism.

Watched "Salem's Lot" again last night. Just proved once again that filming a King story is damn near impossible. With a couple of honest exceptions.

Page 11 of 30 « First<910111213>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.034 seconds of which 0.005 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.