Page 12 of 30 « First<1011121314>Last »
Topic Options
#44100 - 11/15/10 08:12 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Fnord]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
 Originally Posted By: Fnord
General Reply

I tend to read several books at once, usually about three. Right now I'm reading the following:

The next book that I want to get is Essays in Satanism. From what I've read from some reviews it seemed to be pretty interesting. The Mummy: Funereal Rites and Customs In Ancient Egypt looks pretty cool also.

#44101 - 11/15/10 08:54 PM Oz [Re: Lamar]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Fnord

Judging from the comments on Amazon, this seems to have some Kindle-format problems. You may have an easier read here, and here for John Neill's stunning "Gibson Girl" artwork.

#44102 - 11/15/10 10:30 PM Re: Oz [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Oxus Offline

Dr. Aquino,

Any movies worthwhile in the Hekate vein?

#44108 - 11/16/10 11:18 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I've read every one of King's works.

There was a definite turn after his accident, I believe for the worse, with a few exceptions to the rule. I thought Under the Dome was a bloated and predictable piece of garbage. King does characters best, and a few in that book were worth the read, but overall I hated it.

He's written a few collections of shorter stories and I think these days that's where his strengths lie. Everything's Eventual had some truly twisted and nightmarish short stories in it as did Just After Sunset. This latest collection, so far, is stripped down high octane stuff like he sometimes wrote in the past. He also recently released that baseball book, Blockade Billy, which was also short and quite good.

And, yes, I agree, the movies aren't quite the same caliber as the books (ok, not by a long shot).

I think the best movie tie ins are:

Carrie
The Shining (Kubrick, King hated this one)
Creepshow
Pet Sematary
Misery
Dolores Claiborne

The last two and The Shining are my personal favorites.

Most people seem to like Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. Those were both good adaptations but lacked the heart of the books in my opinion.

Not sure what Near Dark is... probably called something else in the states?

#44112 - 11/16/10 01:52 PM RStephen King [Re: Fnord]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Stephen King dropped off my reading/viewing list when he started churning out formula stories - bad spooky car, bad spooky dog, bad spooky airport, etc.

But I think he did a superb writing job with Hearts in Atlantis, in which the Low Men in Yellow Coats are that very rare thing in horror: something quite new and decidedly creepy.

Unfortunately the HIA movie turned the LMiYC into mere MIBs. [And just filmed the first chapter of the book, which really needs to be shiverenjoyed as a whole.]

#44115 - 11/16/10 03:46 PM Re: RStephen King [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fnord Offline

Heh, shiverenjoyed. I like it!

Hearts in Atlantis isn't really stand alone at all. Most all of King's work revolves around The Dark Tower and each separate volume can be understood as standalone or as canon to The Dark Tower series.

For example, From a Buick 8 was largely a disliked book by the general reading populous, but when taken as part of the overall canon it's a pretty cool read.

Your low men also make many appearances throughout King's work, particularly in the last three Dark Tower novels.

In Salem's Lot, the priest who challenges Barlow (Father Callahan) and is made undead goes on to serve quite an interesting purpose later on. Same goes for Ted in HIA...

Anyway, HERE is a site that explores some of the interlinking stories.

It didn't occur to me to start linking the stories together until I read IT wherein Christine makes an appearance and executes a dastardly deed.

#44159 - 11/17/10 04:19 PM Re: RStephen King [Re: Fnord]
HeimiricIX Offline
pledge

Loc: Mexico City.
Currently reading

Michel Foucault's "The Order of Things".

and rereading.

Anne Rice's "The Vampire Lestat".

On the waiting list:

Futhark - Edred Thorsson
Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco

As for King, I remember long ago having found a book that had all links between stories and novels, however this was so long ago that the the Dark Tower V+ didn't existed yet so if it still exists hopefuly is an updated version or it won't be of much use anymore. Sadly for me the bookstore closed shortly after that and never bought it.

I'll look for it or something similar and share it around if I happen to find something.

Best

#44163 - 11/17/10 05:10 PM Re: RStephen King [Re: HeimiricIX]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
"The Stand" had quite a few links...Randall Flagg was a featured character in both The Dark Tower and "The Eyes of the Dragon". They also mention Trashy (not by name) in the "My life for you" reference. The Tower is mentioned in several other novels, such as "Insomnia". In DK#5 "Wizard & Glass", after their ordeal with Blaine the Mono the traveling band winds up in the Earth from "The Stand".

#44273 - 11/20/10 10:31 AM Re: RStephen King [Re: Nemesis]
Fnord Offline

Very true.

For the record, this new book has a few links too, though nothing overt or important. One character says "Long days and pleasant nights" to another who responds by saying "what was that?"

I've probably missed hundreds of little links like that.

#45198 - 12/18/10 06:19 PM Re: RStephen King [Re: Fnord]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
I never finished Atlas Shrugged last time I tried to tackle it. I started again from the beginning and am getting through it a piece at a time. It really doesn't draw me in the way the Fountainhead did but I am curious enough about the story to stick to it.

But that's on hold since I just got my copy of Arcana: Musicians on Music. It's a bunch of writings from experimental musicians compiled by John Zorn (very accomplished experimental composer/performer) It's not exactly a book about music theory(at times it is) but more about the theories behind the theory. Very interesting read for soundfreaks, probably not so much for audiophiles.

#46482 - 01/10/11 08:48 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

I am spending so much of my spare time reading at the moment.

I am reading on trains, while I walk, in bed at night, at the table in the morning. I am reading about 3 to 5 hours per day at the moment.

I am also receiving a lot of books from Amazon and am starting to get annoyed looks from my lady for spending so much

I lay the blame for all of this reading and book purchasing at Dr. Michael Aquino and the Temple of Set, and at Born and his Goat of Mendes online library. (Just kidding Dr. and Born)

Below is the list of black books I have read, am reading and have lined up to read over the next 12 months or so:

Lords of the Left Hand Path by Dr. Flowers
Black Magic by Dr. Aquino
Voice of Destruction by Hermann Rauschning (what a book this is!)
Race and Race History by Rosenberg
Table Talk: Hitlerís Secret Conversations by Trevor-Roper (ed)
Mein Kampf by Hitler (I read this book years ago, but will be reading it again)
The Passing of the Great Race by Madison Grant
The Werewolf of Paris by Guy Endore
Man into Wolf by Robert Eisner
The Man who lived in Inner Space by Arnold Federbush
The Hastur Cycle by Robert M Price (ed)
Our Lady of Darkness by Fritz Leiber
Metropolis by Thea von Harbou
The Stars my Destination by Bester
The Jewel of Seven Stars by Stoker
The collected works of Lovecraft
Houses that Kill by de Laforrest
A selection of works by the Order of the Nine Angles
Men among the Ruins by Evola
The Ego and his Own by Stirner

This is a big list, but my studies are worth it I think.

#46483 - 01/10/11 09:08 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: ]
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
Reading Thee Psychik Bible edited by Genesis P-Orridge. I'm about halfway through and topy shares alot with Satanism. Im also reading "The Secrets of the Lazarus Club" by Tony Pollard, it's an interesting concept having Isambard Kingdom Brunel helping to investigate a murder.

*spelling edited*

Edited by BaronVonShankly (01/10/11 09:16 PM)

#46484 - 01/10/11 09:12 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: BaronVonShankly]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
That would be Genesis P-Orridge, Baron (now Genesis Breyer P-Orridge). \:\)
They're a true one-off and, in my opinion, a true Magician of the LHP.

#46486 - 01/10/11 09:39 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: felixgarnet]
Autodidact Offline

Currently reading The Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution.

Here's what's next in my list, in no particular order:

Her-Bak
All The Devils Are Here
Seven Footprints To Satan
The Culture of Fear
Magic: History / Theory / Practice (Schertel's)
The Lucifer Principle
On Complexity (Morin)
Og (Unearthed Edition)
Be Dangerous On Rock Guitar (had it 20 years ago, just got it again)
(too many others!)

Would love to get my hands on a hard copy of Lords of The Left Hand Path - seems to be out of print now ... (yes, there's on on ebay, but I don't want it $80 much).

#46507 - 01/11/11 06:58 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Autodidact]
Clicks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
I've acquired a few books from a Pantheist friend of mine (Interesting fact: I accidentally typed mine as 'mein' 4 times over. Somehow, I'm beginning to think more and more in German everyday) who is very well read in the occult, magic, and herbalism. The only one I have started to read is A Pictoral History of Magic and the Supernatural by Maurice Bessy. It is basically just a picture book with explanations of the pictures. A little interesting. Outlines the history of the use of magic by different cultures since whoknowswhen.

He also let me borrow these three:

The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
- Judika Illes

This looks like an almanac of witchcraft.

Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizzard
- Oberon Zell

This outlines just what a wizard is (by the author's definition, which seems like it was compiled from other sources), what a soul is, the nature of...nature, the workings of magic, and how to go about doing a ritual.

The Magic and Ritual Use of Herbs
- Richard Allen Miller

Gives you some herbs and tells you what they do.

I don't know what I'll walk away from these books with, but I have to hope that it's at least something useful.

Page 12 of 30 « First<1011121314>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.005 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.